Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the the elastic strap that was sewn between the bicep guard and the shoulder cap on a CCM CL shoulder pad is?
I unstitched the joint since there is already a nylon strap that adjusts the height of the bicep guard relative to the cap

842D6D38-B8B4-45BC-BE2E-00B17084AF67.jpg

Dear God I'll boil to death in one of those.

You'd be surprised. It's kind of like how long sleeve compression wear will actually keep you cooler than short sleeves.

Dear God I'll boil to death in one of those.

Under armour makes one that has mesh at the top that works well too..

iirc it is there to prevent the shoulder caps from moving/flopping.

The problem i have with that design is that it the elastic prevents the Bicep guard from being lowered than the length of the elastic. I think i got the bicep guards lowered enough to prevent the shoulder caps from jamming into the sides of my helmet. Feels a ton more mobile now than before. I get to try them out tonight and see how it all feels.

I wear a Supreme girdle and the spine protection is a bit... lacking. So, hopefully this extended piece will cover the gap in between the shoulder pads and girdle:

4H0dWFi.jpg

Does anyone know where I could find a piece of foam with plastic insert that would do the same job as this modification? I have the same problem, my shoulder pads arent long enough in the back! Thanks

• Like 1

eBay or used sporting goods store: you can find past seasons' shoulder pads with panels you could harvest and attach to yours. I looked into a pair of junior shoulder pads for doing this.

• Like 1

18986005805_1a9c9fd41c_z.jpg

I'm customizing my new M5 shin guard.

I noticed that it's better to re-size big shin guard to short, suitable length. I had bought 13" shin guard for my shin length but it was youth product. So it couldn't cover / wrap my leg enough.

Then also I want to make this lighter... Former shin guard which I've been using is 467g by Itech. This 14" M5 is 589g in genuine. Probably I will not be able to cut down such 120g however I want to try it under 500g. Now 531g...!

I used these shin guard on the ice a few hours ago. The first impression was pretty good!

Certainly I could feel added 40g but it might center around upper, knee area. The fitting is really good so I could skate smoothly than wearing former itech shin guards.

But I thought there are some improvement points yet.

Phew! Took a lot longer than I had anticipated to complete--as I had to hand sewn everything (the caps alone took around 5 attempt fits before I was finally able to get them to sit right)--but I'm super happy with the results:

- CCM CL U+ chest piece (med)

- Bauer APX2 shoulder caps (med)

- Attached caps to upper chest piece along the bindings

- Attached anterior bicep elastic straps to the caps' lower bindings (these straps keep the caps from floating up into the neck area)

- Added more hook velcro to the vertical, adjustable, interior bicep elastic straps

- Added more hook velcro to the bicep cross straps

Wasn't sure which caps to go with, so I tried on a few, created a few different mock ups: MX3, APX2, and APX2 hybrid, and decided to go with the APX2 hybrid.

oaNQGpZ.jpg

Ever since seeing Goldobin's setup: 1, 2, I've been thinking about adding some sort of back protector (since the CL U+ chest piece is rather short) and some oblique padding... but for now, this'll do.

Edited by mc88
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, mc88 said:

Phew! Took a lot longer than I had anticipated to complete--as I had to hand sewn everything (the caps alone took around 5 attempt fits before I was finally able to get them to sit right)--but I'm super happy with the results:

- CCM CL U+ chest piece (med)

- Bauer APX2 shoulder caps (med)

- Attached caps to upper chest piece along the bindings

- Attached anterior bicep elastic straps to the caps' lower bindings (these straps keep the caps from floating up into the neck area)

- Added more hook velcro to the vertical, adjustable, interior bicep elastic straps

- Added more hook velcro to the bicep cross straps

Wasn't sure which caps to go with, so I tried on a few, created a few different mock ups: MX3, APX2, and APX2 hybrid, and decided to go with the APX2 hybrid.

oaNQGpZ.jpg

Ever since seeing Goldobin's setup: 1, 2, I've been thinking about adding some sort of back protector (since the CL U+ chest piece is rather short) and some oblique padding... but for now, this'll do.

I have those same (base) shoulder pads. I'm curious, what was the advantage of swapping out the caps?

54 minutes ago, NiCnoK said:

I have those same (base) shoulder pads. I'm curious, what was the advantage of swapping out the caps?

Had an AC joint separation with the U+ foam caps. In my opinion, they are some of the worst caps: Lack impact protection, don't quite sit right on the shoulder and, above all else, lack comfort.

A lost & found goalie side elbow protector. This one came off a junior chest piece, so the padding is a bit too soft and "meh". There's a senior chest piece in the lost and found, I might just take those off and use 'em instead (the senior piece has a plastic insert inside, so I was a little concerned that it'd dig into my side if I crunched over, but I think it'll be okay to use.).

I've taken a bunch of pucks to the inside of my knees and it wasn't very fun... so I've decided to beef up my shin pad liner a bit. Not sure why the liner on these is so much thinner than on old 10K I have but this certainly fixes the issue.

SRFDq7L.jpg?1

• Like 2

How comfortable is that? I would think that you would want to do both sides of the knee cap to make it more balance.

I remember seeing a couple of picture of Drew Millers Shin guards being completely beefed up with some sort of hexagon padding from top to bottom. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find the pics.