Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Duder84

Equipment Modifications

Shin pads - shortened and added more protection for behind the knee.

Elbow pads - repositioned velcro straps so that they wouldn't cut into my inner elbow as much. Also modified the fit a bit so that it would match my forearms better.

Neck protector - bought some of that wicking material and sewed a set of longjohns, then attached the neck protector to make a wicking 1-piece undergarment. It looks like an astronaut's suit.

Skates - swapped tongues once, because the old tongues were giving me lace bite.

Pants - added tailbone protection and swapped thigh padding that had been shattered by shots.

Gloves - repalmed a few times, added extra protection for the pinky and index fingers. I might try to do the Sande trigger-finger modification the next time I replam my gloves. Also, replaced plastic pieces inside the upper cuff that had been shattered by slashes with some old credit cards layered and epoxied together.

Shoulder pads - Replaced the elastic / velcro straps when the old ones got stretched out. I'm thinking of adding some rib and spine protection, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.

Sorry, still no digital camera or camera phone, so no pics.

Whoa, McGyver! :D

McGyver played hockey too! It was in the opening credits. :)

Most of my modifications involve sewing to some degree. To add to the stereotype, my grandfather was a tailor in SouthEast China, and later in Hong Kong. I must have gotten some of his talent.

McGyver does wear a Calgary Flames hat in some episodes, I don't know where Richard Dean Anderson's from, but Calgary seems likely...yeah...used to be a big McGyver fan

wish I had some of your sewing skills:)

Yeah, he used to play on that Celebrity hockey team. I remember one episode in which he defused a bomb with a LA Kings ticket.

In one episode he had a girl in his house.. I thought she came down the stairs in his house and wore that old skool white la kings jersey

I forgot the biggest project I ever undertook.

I used to saw the blades off my Bauer 3030 sticks when the sheft broke and turned them into replacement blades.

I didn't have any kind of power tools so it all went by hand. A saw, a file, and some sand paper, and many hours. :blink: :P

Did you ever work all day on one then the first time you got on the ice it broke right away?That would have sucked.

Elbow pads - repositioned velcro straps so that they wouldn't cut into my inner elbow as much. Also modified the fit a bit so that it would match my forearms better.

Neck protector - bought some of that wicking material and sewed a set of longjohns, then attached the neck protector to make a wicking 1-piece undergarment. It looks like an astronaut's suit.

Skates - swapped tongues once, because the old tongues were giving me lace bite.

Pants - added tailbone protection and swapped thigh padding that had been shattered by shots.

Gloves - repalmed a few times, added extra protection for the pinky and index fingers. I might try to do the Sande trigger-finger modification the next time I replam my gloves. Also, replaced plastic pieces inside the upper cuff that had been shattered by slashes with some old credit cards layered and epoxied together.

Shoulder pads - Replaced the elastic / velcro straps when the old ones got stretched out. I'm thinking of adding some rib and spine protection, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.

Most of my modifications involve sewing to some degree. To add to the stereotype, my grandfather was a tailor in SouthEast China, and later in Hong Kong. I must have gotten some of his talent.

McGyver does wear a Calgary Flames hat in some episodes, I don't know where Richard Dean Anderson's from, but Calgary seems likely...yeah...used to be a big McGyver fan

Yeah, he used to play on that Celebrity hockey team. I remember one episode in which he defused a bomb with a LA Kings ticket.

In one episode he had a girl in his house.. I thought she came down the stairs in his house and wore that old skool white la kings jersey

There's one episode where McGyver was a temporary coach for a junior hockey team. The top player on the team was a pro prospect and a scout was interested in him, but only if he would play more physically and "cheaply". The gist of it is that the player tries it, McGyver is unhappy and benches him, father (who is friend of McGyver's) gets really mad at him, player is unhappy and quits the team, McGyver tells the father to make up, player gets back on team in time for important game, team wins game with father watching (he rarely goes to games because he's working to pay for the son's hockey). It was a long time ago, but I think this episode didn't have a lot of the improvising type of stuff that McGyver usually does. I also think the son gets a second look from another scout from a better team that was friends with McGyver.

There's one episode where McGyver was a temporary coach for a junior hockey team. The top player on the team was a pro prospect and a scout was interested in him, but only if he would play more physically and "cheaply". The gist of it is that the player tries it, McGyver is unhappy and benches him, father (who is friend of McGyver's) gets really mad at him, player is unhappy and quits the team, McGyver tells the father to make up, player gets back on team in time for important game, team wins game with father watching (he rarely goes to games because he's working to pay for the son's hockey). It was a long time ago, but I think this episode didn't have a lot of the improvising type of stuff that McGyver usually does. I also think the son gets a second look from another scout from a better team that was friends with McGyver.

McGyver had a mullet. :D

I put a Rubber and a Tricore and a Response and a Synergy together once. I made a long plug and put it inbetween them. But then I borke my RR so I used the plug to fix that. it worked pretty good actually.

A good friend of mine cuts the tounges out of every skate and replaces them with graf tounges...

Ive cut off the cuffs of tour g7 gloves, changed the redline frames on tour 962s to the old tour 9000 frames, i think everyone has cut off a broken ops and made it a shaft, ive fused an easton synthesis blade to fit inside of a standard tour and ccm shaft, ive converted a visor/cage combo into a straight visor, i changed the holders on graf skates to a standard blue tuuk...

anyone here mod out their shinguard to fit a kneebrace?

I wear a donjoy defiance kneebrace with an older pair of CCM Tacks shinguards.

Well 2 weeks ago i got tripped up and went straight down on the knee. no biggie but after i got home i noticed a huge lump below my knee and just above the top calf strap. im guessing since that strap is so thick the swelling came from the impact to that strap through the shinguards...the swelling just had no where to go but up.

i was thinking about cutting out some padding so the strap would be flush to the inside of the guard...

but then im thinking that may not be such a good idea.

anyone have experiance with something similar?

or should i just go out and get some fancy new pads.

yeah?!

no issues when going straight down on the knee? im tellin ya it was like someone inserted a superball just under the skin....it was so weird looking

i have been looking and some new RBK/Jofa models. sounds like a good excuse to go shopping!

The only modifaction I have done is just a little extra padding. Because I also have osgood schlatters which hurts like hell to fall on.

Also that bump you have may just be osgood schlatters.

Edited by J-Shera

gotcha

i think i was looking at picking up the RBK 5 something or other...the ones with the suspension straps...i will try them on first to see if it really makes a difference or not.

luckily my lump was defiantly swelling...its gone down now but i defiantly don't want a reoccurrence.

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

one last question, people do grow outta osgood schlatters right? good luck dealing with it, it sounds painful.

Helmets - Trimmed and shaved padding on CCM helmets for better fit. Even bought an old scratched up one on ebay just for the padding which I'll be hot gluing into my current one.

Shoulders - Bauer Flak - Best shoulder pads ever. Tank like protection and supurb mobility. I have to sew up some rips now and then. Why doesn't anyone make anything like these anymore?

Pants - I have an old Cooperall CG Pro girdle that is still awesome and doesn't look to shabby. I have sewn repairs on them alot. I can't find a girdle nowadays that fits/protects as well. I also removed the flimsy pads right above the kidney guards. Also had a pair of CCM NHL Supra pants that I made a little shorter by hemming the top and making new holes for the buttons that kept the bottom part of the pants on.

Shinguards - replaced a cracked kneecap on one of my old Jofa shins that I was fortunate to find an exact replacement in a store a long time ago. Tough to stitch but it came out fine.

I have to post a few pics of my equipment cause some of it is literally 20 years old and I used it in HS. I took very good care of it all!

Really old thread but I might as well toss my biggest mod in here:

I got a second pair of bauer pro stock pants with the idea of modding them to make them the perfect minimalist pant. Basically the Bauers are the most mobile, least protective(still protective but not overkill) pro pant available. BUT there are two main issues that I didn't like about the pant. The first thing was the single piece thigh, I've become a huge fan of the split thigh from my previous/current favorite pants(one90, tackla 5000x, jofa 7000). I also didn't like the belly pad, it only had one loop for the belt and it was at the very bottom of the pad.

This is what I did... First I removed the thigh pads. Each thigh has three pieces a plastic piece, a piece of HD foam(white) directly behind the plastic and a piece of LD foam(black) behind that.

IMG_2004.jpg

I tossed the HD foam and I used a dremel to cut the thigh pad:

IMG_2005.jpg

To finish off the thigh I used hockey tape to set the small gap for the pad and to help hold the LD foam to the plastic, then replaced it back in the pants. This is a temporary setup, I plan on using either elastic or a skate lace/waxed thread to set it permanently.

Now on to the belly pad, this was easy. I took a leash and cut a small piece the size I needed, the I used an awl to sew it to the pad. Add an unused skate lace and you got a perfectly held in place belly pad.

IMG_2029.jpg

All I have are slits cut on the inside of the legs of my pants (where a lot of pants have zippers now). There weren't really pants with zippers when I did this, at least not locally.

The next pair I buy, I will probably need to do some work to the front where the belt and tie are. I don't like having a lot there, it pokes into my stomach and annoys the hell out of me.

Nothing special or anything but... took out the foam in my neck guard (league requires us to wear one), take the straps off my shin pads. I also tie down my tounges on my skates after every game and cut a little notch in each side to give them some "flop". Thats pretty much it I can think of.

sewed up 3 sets of goalie leg pads

2 c/a

had to make a back piece for one c/a

added a strap to a catcher

sewed up a blocker

(all dumpster finds)

recently been experminating with nano glue (similiar to gorilla glue) for cracked blades.

blacked out my xxx and 5000 gloves

spray painted some sticks

removed blades from fused ops

pulled out the adjustment tabs on the 5000 helmet and replaced with screws

spray painted a helmet

repaired a cracked shin pad with a 5 gallon bucket

sewed up 2 goalie bags (dumpster again)

cut broken wood stick into blades

jrhky36, how is that Nano glue working? And where is the break? I'm curious because the toe of my Mission PS blades (composite) are delaminating, and I've only had Carpenter's wood glue to use. Nano glue much better results I hope?

yes the nano glue is much better. yellow glue is designed for wood and not h2o proof, whereas nano glu is h2o proof.used the one90 for floor hockey and no problems. has yet to hit the ice and most likely won't way to flexy for me 77 v 90-95. currently have a comp goal stick in the clamps that had a break in the blade, again will use for floor hockey. also glued a one70 blade. both one series blades were cracked on the bottom.

are you fimiliar with gorlia glue? its the same thing ony from elmers. they can be had a home depot about $5-8 for a bottle. i also recommend stopping by your local pharmancy to pick up some syringes with no smaller than a 23ga needle for the tight fitting areas. you will also need some 1"clamps to hold the baled back together. the glue will expand outside of the repaired area just cut of as much as you can with a razor blade and sand the rest down. i will post pic next time i do one. keep in mind that thes sticks/blades were left for dead.

hope this helps

need more info pm me

Shoulders - Bauer Flak - Best shoulder pads ever. Tank like protection and supurb mobility. I have to sew up some rips now and then. Why doesn't anyone make anything like these anymore?

I have to post a few pics of my equipment cause some of it is literally 20 years old and I used it in HS. I took very good care of it all!

I too have Bauer Flak shoulder pads. I bought them in 1989 and love them. I'm lucky enough that my mother-in-law is great at sewing and has put new straps on and sewn up rips numerous times. I've tried on new shoulders before but can't imagine getting new ones.