Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duckjob

removing scratch from visor

I took a nice stick to the face the other night, and as a result, there is a good sized scuff/scratch right in the middle of my visor. It is made by oakley, I spent a good amount of time rubbing it with a rag and the AFR solution with no improvement. Are there any tricks to removing scratches, or am I f'd?

I've applied 3M scratch remover to my Itech visors. It "takes out" the smaller scratches but doesn't do anything to the big ones. I don't recommend you trying it on any Oakley visors.

Toothpaste works...also have used scratch remover for cars. Teammate told me to try motorcycle windshield scratch remover...haven't heard of stuff like that cause I'm not around motorcycles too often, much less ones with windshields. He said it's like $10 a bottle, dunno if it's worth it though.

I've had good luck with Fog Zero removing small scuffs and really small scratches. You can get some here: Fog Zero

If you can catch your fingernail on the scratch, you're screwed. You'd actually have to remove material from the visor to remove the scratch and that just won't happen without power tools. And with power tools, you'll mess the visor up really quick.

If the scatch covers a large area (at least nickle size) or you can feel it with you finger nail then it's done. By the time you get done buffing it out you will put a big distortion in the lense, which is just as bad as looking through a scratch.

You can try an acrylic scratch remover. Places that sell lexan or plexiglass usually sell it.

I have some small scratches on an Oakley visor (accidentally put my skate in my bag without the soaker on) and was wondering if that pink waxey stuff they have in eyeglass repair kits might work.

I understand Oakley's are sensitive to foreign chemicals, and the area affected is not in my direct viewing path but is slightly annoying. I'm wondering if I should take the chance or just deal with the scratches.

I have had limited success with a dremmel buffer and various polishing compounds, but like a previous poster, it distorts the lens somewhat. In my case it wasn't too bad - it wasn't directly in my field of view, but depending on your scratch it could be bad.

If it is a light scratch, any clear plastic polishing compound should work good. I use Mcguire's. Start with the smallest grain of polish and move your way up if it's not going away, then move your way back down to get a good polish.

So right after this thread comes out I get a nice scratch on my visor. Sh!t. It isn't light, but it isn't too deep either. If I ever try to repair it I will post my findings.

Slight thread hijack moment:

I have a great 1 Xcel visor that I love but a few weeks ago something happened to it that I've never seen before. After a ice hockey pick up session I took it off and noticed what seemed to be dried bubbles on the outer surface of the visor. Its hard to EXPLAIN exactly what it looks like but I thought that it was likely residue of the antifog coating on the lens. I really didn't think anything of it and then played again with it the next week... After taking it out of the helmet bag for a game the whole damn outer surface was COVERED in this coating of what looked like dried bubbles. I tried washing it off with water, and had no luck. I even tried to use the handsoap in the rink bathroom but that had no effect either.

When I got home I tried windex, rubbing alcohol, and even a small patch off to the side with goo be gone just to see if it would have an effect... nothing except more residue.

So I'm wondering what caused this and if anyone else has experianced similar visor issues with older 1 Xcel visors or even current Oakleys. I mention I used it for ice hockey because I primarilly play roller and never had issues with it for like thre seasons. I never used an anti-fog or any other spray on it and was always fine just cleaning it with water and a towel. My big guess is that there is a chemical coating on the visor to prevent fogging and maybe glare and that something caused this coating to breakdown.

Thanks for reading this!

^Sounds like crystaliztion, which can happen when Oakley visors come in contact with certain chemicals. That's why you can never use anything but AFR cleaner on 1Xcel or Oakley visors.

Oh, and I feel your pain: same thing happened to me with a beautiful 1Xcel visor I got for a steal at $10.00.

^Sounds like crystaliztion, which can happen when Oakley visors come in contact with certain chemicals. That's why you can never use anything but AFR cleaner on 1Xcel or Oakley visors.

Oh, and I feel your pain: same thing happened to me with a beautiful 1Xcel visor I got for a steal at $10.00.

Same thing happened to me and my 1Excel visor. Snowflakes appeared all over the visor and they were between the outside coating and the inside coating (the side that protects your eyes). There was nothing I could do with it when it happened.

A similar thing happened to me before my game tonight. Except it was on the inside of the shield. It's an Oakley shield. I was spraying it with AFR and I noticed the crystalization. It was like the inside of the shield was peeling off. Can heat do this? I leave my equipment in my backyard in the sun to dry out, and it's been pretty hot the past few days, but other than that I haven't used anything except baby oil and AFR to clean the shield. Does Oakley coat both the inside and outside of their shields?

Anyone try the heat gun method?

says to use 1500 grit sandpaper on running water, allow to dry, the run heat gun all over visor, supposedly will make it look like new.

If it works on Motorcycle helmets it should work just fine on hockey visors.

On a side note, what if your visor is tinted?

I've got a Bauer HDO DLX visor with some small scuff marks and scratches.

For the scratches I'd like to try the toothpaste. What is the best steps to do this, how long to rub it in, let it sit, etc?

For what I thought were scuff marks at first, I think they are actually small areas where the top film has lifted. Would the heavier-duty methods (scratch filler / plastic compounds, etc) be the best bet for these types of spots?

Thanks

I'd be careful with the car stuff on a visor. Car polish, depending what you get can contain some pretty aggressive abrasives that could tear off coating on a visor. I do detailing on the side and bought a handful of used visors to try and repair and most of the car products I tried ended up doing more damage in the end than good. Most visors are plastic, this stuff is meant for clear coats or the glass stuff is meant for just that, glass. Toothpaste is probably a good start and not super agressive, beyond that if you can catch the scratch with your finger nail it probably isn't repairable without doing damage to the visor. One of my observations is the visors fog up a ton easier once you polish, they scratch easier and the optics can get distorted.