Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Richard Zednik Injury

Probably a first row guy with a cell phone. At least that would make sense since the quality isnt Gettyimagesish.

To that picture, Holy Shit.

I also have to say, while I understand it might be their job seeing the other teams trainers and such run to help another teams player always kinda puts a smile on my face. I guess it shows some sportsmanship.

I guess it shows some sportsmanship.

or human decency.

Yeah I couldn't think of a better way to put it thanks.[No sarcasm intended] It's been a long day at work lol.

press conf is saying that he's out for the season.....

that totally sucks.

Unless of course you've had your neck sliced open, and lived to tell about it...then it sucks less.

No doubt hockey is the last thing from his mind....But if you watch the video its just one of those freak things...

Probably a first row guy with a cell phone. At least that would make sense since the quality isnt Gettyimagesish.

no need to quote that picture again, so anyways...That pic is taken from center ice (note the blue line), so it's gotta be someone on one of the benches or in the camera booth. In the heat of the moment the photographer probably couldn't keep a steady hand and this is the best shot he could get. I would feel like an ass taking a picture of that, though.

press conf is saying that he's out for the season.....

that totally sucks.

Unless of course you've had your neck sliced open, and lived to tell about it...then it sucks less.

No doubt hockey is the last thing from his mind....But if you watch the video its just one of those freak things...

I didn't mean it that way about him being out for the season. just that it was a freak accident.

the look on his face is unbelievable. I can't believe anyone even posted that picture. But, I do believe if this was the NFL, we would have seen the blood and gore over and over on the network as it unrolled.

Here is an article from the Buffalo News this afternoon:

Zednik's injury worse than Malarchuk's

By John Vogl - News Sports Reporter

Updated: 02/11/08 6:04 PM

The Clint Malarchuk comparisons can stop. Richard Zednik's injury was much more life- threatening.

The four doctors who treated Zednik used words today such as "profusely," "devastating," "hanging by a thread" and "lucky" to describe the sliced carotid artery injury suffered by Zednik on Sunday.

The physicians who treated the Florida Panthers hockey player met with the media this afternoon. They described a scene that likely would have been fatal if not for a sequence of fortunate events.

Zednik, struck in the throat by the skate of teammate Olli Jokinen, was fortunate the blade cut only the carotid artery, barely missing the internal jugular vein and a web of nerves in the neck.

Still, the blow could have been deadly if:

*Zednik hadn't skated immediately to the bench, a 100-foot journey that left a wide trail of blood. That allowed trainers and doctors to reach him quicker.

*Dr. Leslie J. Bisson, the Sabres team doctor, hadn't been positioned next to the bench. He was able to hop out of the stands and meet Zednik near his bench. Bisson immediately put pressure on the gushing artery, slowing the bleeding.

*The artery had been completely severed. It wasn't, allowing Drs. Sonya Noor and Richard Curl to quickly find the injury and reattach it cleanly. If the artery had torn fully, it would have retracted and moved out of place.

"We all were very lucky last night, not just Richard," Noor said in Buffalo General Hospital.

For more on the Zednik situation, check back with Buffalonews.com and see Tuesday's editions of The Buffalo News.

jvogl@buffnews.com

Is it safe to say that if the same injury happened to anyone here at our local hockey rinks, we'd all be as good as dead?

It does'nt give you a good feeling thats for sure. Im just happy he is going to be ok.

Very disturbing picture when I consider the fact that that guy passed right behing me once at a pre-season game in Moncton. Just look at his eyes. It's amazing that he had the reflex of putting pressure on it himself while going to the bench.

In the YT video posted here, the MSG crew stops the replay (coming from the players bench side) after Zed gets hit....the NHL Network just showed the clip from the time he got hit...to hitting the ice, and starting to get up to go to the bench with blood pooling around him.

Alright guys we got the idea with the pics and movies. I want to keep this open for discussion but I also think we all have a very good idea of what happened. Posting more stuff is overkill.

Thanks.

For the most, blood don't scare me, but this was really scary.. A real freak accident. Gave me bad memories from 1995 when Swedish elite player Bengt Akerblom died after taking a skate to the troath. In his case the skate cut both the artery and the trachea.. This was the reason for the mandatory neck protection rule for all players younger than 18y.

Can we quit posting pix...

are we blood hungry, death mongers?

It's tragic, maybe we should send our regards and wishes for recovery.

THAT can happen to ANY OF US...

Stop posting links and actually demonstrate some sembelance of RESPECT and post productive thoughts and / or prayers.

A fellow hockey player came close to losing his life.

Can we please demonstrate some DIGNITY and RESPECT.....

this is the ummmm how do i say... most graphic one

(little kids probably shouldn't watch this one)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYue5Git1-A

i wonder how olli jokinen feels - i just feel bad for everyone involved - at least he is ok now - but its just unlucky/unfortunate

That is very scary, the blood hits the ice before Zednik does

Thank you for that phenominally mediocre post.

I can't even imagine...

after my last post, (or, for that matter, anybody else's posts)

how you could even imagine that "dribble" like you just posted, could even be regarded as intelligent.

Did you ACTUALLY read the thread?

I know R E A D is a 4 letter word, but, try it some time.

Some humans, myself included, are more concerned with how he's doing than how f*cked he is!

In regard to your pathetic statement that "his blood hit the ice before he did"...

ABSOLUTELY, have you heard of a simple thing called self preservation?

Or... let's talk about psycho-semantics.

Or... we can talk about adrenaline...

at any rate, we don't need the gory details!

Thank you for the stupid post!!!

Try concerning yourself (in the future) with the wellfare of comrades, as opposed to thier quantity of blood.

Spare us the blood, guts and gore...

we already know!