Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

5. I'm the only guy who brings a water bottle...and by the end of my second shift the damn thing is empty.

Yes that totally sucks, i have that problem all the time too lol!

Back checking!! Like really, it is shinny.

WE had one of those physical players on our sunday morning drop in. It is the same group of guys every sunday and nobody wears shoulder pads but the goalies and this guy. Everyone has a step on him and he is the dirtiest player i have ever played against... period. Like when I am getting hacked and slashed infront of the net in shinny, or tackled when i am trying to slip past him on the boards. Just no need.

Someone slashed his stick in half though, and he stopped coming because he didn't like how the game was getting with 'stick work' LOL

Guys that take shinny too seriously ^

Thank you Stampeder... my sentiments exactly.

Y'know Patrice... it is possible for someone to have quite the hockey knowledge, and still not be the best skater out there. Some people do learn later in life.

My shinny/drop in/sticktime philosophy... Everyone pays the same amount of money to play, it's your job to make the best of it.

Back checking!! Like really, it is shinny.

WE had one of those physical players on our sunday morning drop in. It is the same group of guys every sunday and nobody wears shoulder pads but the goalies and this guy. Everyone has a step on him and he is the dirtiest player i have ever played against... period. Like when I am getting hacked and slashed infront of the net in shinny, or tackled when i am trying to slip past him on the boards. Just no need.

Someone slashed his stick in half though, and he stopped coming because he didn't like how the game was getting with 'stick work' LOL

I'm very happy to hear that! Keep up the good work, lol

We have a Junior Program at our local rink. A lot of the Junior guys jump out for shinny. Most of them know the other folks out there are not as good and basically set us up with shots and passes, good fun and helps us get better. There is a couple who refuse to pass or take 10-15 minute shifts. They really ruin it for some folks. I also like the cherry pickers. Last fall a few friends and I went to pick up and there was one old fat guy who sat on the red line at center ice waiting for the "cherry pick" special. Than we have a huge dikey broad who thinks every game is game seven. She knocked my buddy who was just learning to play on his ass in fron tof the net. A few of us said "WTF?" Her response was "That's how you play in front of the net!". I guess it's the same everywhere..........

I play with a regular group of guys anywhere from 10-15 and we all have it down like shifts, passing, rules and all that jazz, and we make it a fairly competitive pickup games, which is really fun and we no one ever holds grudges ya know....but what bugs me is newbies, I'm all for new people joining our games to change it up a little bit ya know give it a new feel, new match ups, keeps your game on edge....buts its the guys that come out thinking its the 7th game of a playoff series getting pissed when steal a pass, get a take away from them, or when they miss a shot and yell profanities thinking they actually had a chance to beat the goalie on a standard save....i can see if you are having a bad game and getting pissed but shit happens to everyone suck up and quit acting like a 5 year old girl...

A couple of my pet peeves are...

1) Guys that walk in on the goalie in warmups and just let loose a big slapper. Come on dick head, there is no need to just continually do that. He's my friend in goal and trust me you are pissing him off with the slap shots from 3 feet away.

2) Obviously, puck hogs. My big thing is, young puck hogs. I've been to a couple where everyone over 18 is fine, passing, laughing, having a good time just skatin around on the ice. Then, 1 or 2 kids show up because they don't have school or whatever and decide they are going to make it a point to hog it and try and be show offs when the rest of us all play as a team to just have fun. That's when you get a nice solid hip check into the boards when you try to snake your 5'9" 120lb frame past me.

3) Sometimes, when there is only 1 goalie and we are playing that you have to clear to the red line, and the other team will post up their 5 players right on the blue line so everyone plays dump and chase while the goaltender is back there taking a nap. Come on guys, at least give a little chance of getting into the offensive zone since we are only playing on a half sheet.

Last week we had this guy who stayed on the ice for a loooong time.

When we were on Defense, he was bent over with his stick on his knees. When we got the puck, he took off. He was so tired he was skating standing upright.

We decided two things on the bench right then and there.

1. Nobody is passing him the puck.

2. Nobody is taking him off the ice. Every time he started skating towards the bench we waved him off. Then the guys on the ice would push him to skate hard after pucks.

It was a lot of fun to watch him suffer.

Of course, by his next shift, he was right back to the 7 minutes shift.

If I had to sum up:

1. The douche bags. Guys acting like complete dicks that you showed up to "their" shinny party. It's open hockey, get over it.

2. The 10 minute shifts. I can only stay on the ice for about 2 minutes before I get tired, but then I'm on the bench for 15 minutes waiting to get on again. I understand you played D1 college hockey and can skate for 60 minutes without a break. Take a shift.

3. The lack of defense. Really, for most drop ins, it's all offense, all the time. What's the point? Rush down one end, score. Rush down the other end, score. I paid $10 for this?

Between those three, I'd rather not play. If it's not league or a group of guys I know, it's not worth it. I actually have WAY more fun playing on Sunday morning with the little kids and their dads at the local park than I do playing drop in with the guys trying to relive their varsity days.

Oh yeah, one more: the ubiquitous gray/yellow jersey. It's not white. It's annoying. And usually there's 3 or 4 guys with these jerseys playing on different sides.

What I don't like is the excesive goal celebrations. There was one last night that made me sick. The guy came in on a goalie that was just filling in cause we needed another goalie. It was his first time playing net. He comes in and takes a weak snap shot from the top of the circle that doesn't leave the ice. It squeezed through his 5 hole and he went nuts. He made himself look like a dirt bag. That is my biggest pet peeve.

This story goes right along with this topic.This past christmas I was at a drop in. We had a good group going but there were these 3 brothers that brought thier wives and kids to watch the pick up game. Well during warm ups these 3 (mind you are in their mid 40's) are just looking for trouble. I guess its their annual skate to show off to the wives. These guys start messing with the young 15 year old kids. One brother completely laid a kid out. The kid does nothing and gets up as this guys ask YA WANNA GO!!!. Ok, well another brother was fighting in the corner for the puck, he drops the gloves and grabs this 15 year old kid and wrestles him to the ice. This kid is yelling I'M NOT FIGHTING. So I go over and try to break it up. The other OLD guy comes up to me and says let it go. I told him no its drop in for christ sake.. by that time another 15 year old come up and says the kid your fighting is only 15. The brother talking me turns to him and says YA WANNA GO! and starts chasing him around the rink. Go thing that young kid is fast!!

The old guys proceeded to leave after that. I guess they showed off for the wives enough.

7. Posts & Jerseys. You think I can hit a post when I want to?

haha...sorry dude, I just mis-read that and thought you were implying you could hit a post whenever you want and I had this big message saying how I've played with some pretty damn good players who can't hit a post all the time, just caught it before I hit 'add' though.

But yeah, I actually don't mind shooting 'posts', it can be more fun than a playing against a bad goalie. Most shinny I play with 1 goalie you actually switch ends everytime the one team hits a post (sometimes you gotta hit it twice before you switch), so it can get pretty competitive because nobody likes playing against the empty net.

My peeeves in general

- people who backcheck too hard, or if someone has a couple steps on you for a breakaway...just let him go, it's shinny.

- people who slash down on my stick; slash my legs/feet/hands if you must, just stay away from the new OPS.

- taking slappers from the point into traffic

- idiots seriously trying to block shots

- backing in too far on D, especially when we are shooting posts

- guys who come when the game is on and still 'warm up' while the game goes on around them....incredible, but I've seen it more than once, even with a puck.

"- backing in too far on D, especially when we are shooting posts"

haha, yeah i hate that. if someone keeps doing it, i just shoot for a post anyways. if they want to play goalie and i accidently bean them, its not my fault.

one thing noone has added is i hate it when the rink decides the ice doesn't need to be zam'ed before drop in either because its not too chewed up or because not that many people showed up.

My pet peeve is when one guy goes out there without equipment and the whole game has to slow down and watch out for him. The rinks should enforce their own policies and not let players on the ice unless they're wearing full equipment. This is for open hockey of course and not stick time.

Most of the guys that I play with are pretty cool and laidback...the games are competitive, but don't usually turn into some huge contest or one-man show.

That said, there is this one real asshole who shows up every once in a while, and who actually is an assistant coach for a good hockey team in our area (hard to believe). He's a good player, but takes everything way too seriously. Some of the things you expect to put up with when he comes to play:

- If you miss a pass or otherwise don't play to perfection and you're on his team, prepare to get bitched at

- If you make any physical contact with him whatsoever, whether it be intentional or totally incidental, prepare for a major bitchfest about how you ruined the pick-up game by making physical contact...and if he gets pissed off enough about it, you will need to keep your head up while he proceeds to take slapshots at you on the ice, or even at your team's bench

-If you just piss him off in general, he will whine and bitch to no end, and likely will take slapshots at you or your team, and/or will shoot the pucks over the glass (so someone else has to walk around and fetch them) before storming out of the rink

Here's the best story about this guy though...

One day I'm at pickup, and it's a good game until I see this guy show up. Sure enough, he finds something to blow up over in the pickup game, even though he has dominated the game with his coast-to-coast showboating and one man team play...he's scored a lot of goals, can out-skate and fake out most people, as he used to play high level club hockey, which is better than most people at our average pick-up game.

So after he has scored countless times, he is off on yet another break away. Some newbie who is there with his girlfriend watching in the stands goes after the hotshot, of course not being able to catch him skating, so gives the guy some poke checks with his stick, and inadvertently trips him on the breakaway. Most guys might be pissed off, but this kid is obviously new and doesn't really know any better, just wants to play some hockey...the hotshot of course gets right back up and starts yelling (wasn't able to score his 30th breakaway goal of the day), skates up to the new guy (who doesn't know what the hell is going on, and who's girlfriend is happily watching this "friendly" game from the stands), drops his gloves, and just starts wailing on this poor guy until his helmet comes off and he hits the ice...totall gets his ass kicked by this hotshot in front of his girlfriend and everyone there. The new guy skates off the ice in shame, as the hotshot gives a big fit before storming off himself. To make things even better, this asshole does coaching with the youth teams in our area also...one of the kids he coaches was there in the stands watching the game, and saw a really great example of how to behave in a sport that is supposed to be about fun.

He supposedly was not allowed to come back and play after this incident, but that hasn't stopped him, as his coaching status gets him into the rink regardless of his antics, which still do continue when he shows up.

So that's your average pick-up asshole, who seems to frequent many rinks...other than him, everyone is pretty much just wanting to have some fun and get some exercise while playing. <_<

We have a long shifter/cherrypicker at our weekly rink rental. Even at the beginning of the game, he'll never take the extra stride or even reach for a puck that's close to him. (We rent for a 90 minute slot, and when we only have 1-2 subs, he winds up staying on for the whole time, coasting from blue line to blue line)

As we get halfway through and he's getting tired, I'll start feeding him the long hard pass, knowing he'll never catch it, and then give him shit for missing it. Usually that'll make him take a seat.

A few:

1. Guys who call EVERY offside...Okay...If I'm 3 feet ahead of the play...I get it, but let 2-3 inches go...it's damn pickup

refs in pickup are a bad idea in general

No, we don't have refs....but the other team will go "Off Side" you shoot the puck to their end and they take over...

wow, usahockey22, that is a real-life horror story. It only takes one of these guys to really ruin a fun game of hockey. Idk, maybe next time call the cops, I'm sure they've seen stranger.

We have one really good skate around here on Fri at noon. Good turnout and a pretty good skill level. We all just have fun with it and get loose for the weekend. There are a few guys out there that have been coming for a LONG time and they always do the same stupid shit (needless to say, these are the guys that arent quite up to the skill level...which is ok, but play to your strengths in a situation like this...)

1. the guy who always plays D, always bitches at everyone else for NOT playing D (or backchecking, looking for the points...)

2. the guy who beats the puck until it is square. No hands at all, but will hold the puck and beat it up until there are 4 guys on him, then make a terrible pass...

3. The guy playing D who skates the puck all the way up into the offensive zone, SLOWLY, while being the last man the whole time

(The above 3 qualities are embodied in one person specifically, but also show up in others)

4. The guy who thinks the scouts are in the stands, looking for the next tough guy to call up to the show. Slashes, hooks, trips. Typically the same guy who is shooting head-shots from the point as hard as they can.

5. the puck hog, most likely also a cherry picker (who I also dislike seeing)

And finally....

6. Not really a pet peeve, but the goalie who gets lit up and flips his shit, even though he has never played with guys as good as some of the guys out there, and they are the ones scoring.

There are some interesting characters out there at drop in, and I love having new guys come out, even if they have never played, but once youve been around for a while, get with the program. Adult learn-to-play class, anyone?

After reading this thread and experiencing bascially everything that has been written I've decided that pick up hockey could be the ultimate tool to expose assholes. One other pp to add to the list, the guys who smoke a joint right before the game and play super high slowing basically every aspect of the game down.

Was playing pick up the other day at the Pepsi Center in WNY because I'm visiting family and friends....Goalie got pissed because our team kept lighting him up and left about 35 mins into the 1.5 hour pick up session, the other goalie followed him for some reason. Pick up over. Annoying...and we even offered to swap goalies so the other one would get a better work out, or even switch up the teams.

I was fortunate enough to play with most of the above pricks today! Only 6 guys showed up, so it was me (C League) and 2 young guyys from the Junor Program against 4 pretty solid players (B or A League). The two cats I played with were way outa my league and could have ignored me the whole time, but they included me beyond what I would expect. Lots of good passes and shooting opportunites from them. Good kids and even gave me some pointers. The other side had one C#@^sucker who liked to boost his ego by smoking a C Leaguer and making asshat comments afterwords. No worries, it just makes me try harder to make a play against him. Matter of fact I told him so. I would have liked to pound him into dust off the ice though. Anyway, so then theres this old guy, gotta be 60 years old. He's throwing elbows and crosschecks me in front of the net. Being drop in I was not expecting that, so I got dumped. Okay, no worries. I should have stayed on my toes. So then later I am skating towards the net with the puck and he gives me the tomahawk chop across the hands and for good measure trips me! Man I was pissed! I got up and said "WTF? It's only pick up old timer, why all the fucking slashing and elbows?" So then he just ignores me and leaves. I had a good time, but man, are there just assholes everywhere or what?