Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I know we have been hinting at this for a few months now, but it is finalized and ready for pre-order.

http://www.portableskatesharpener.com/

Two machines - one designated for "home" usage and the other for "team" usage. The X02 has a more robust motor for volume sharpenings, but the X01 will fit the bill perfectly for those who were considering a Wissota or something along those lines.

Once I get a steady paycheck, I'm getting an X02 - things are going to be VERY interesting with Spinner and I need to be there when it's out ph34r.gif

JR you read my mind - I just saw the website yesterday. I was thinking about getting a wissota but when i came along the blackstone website i was impressed.

how does that bat gauge work. Magnet? pressure? looking to get an edge checker as well

JR you read my mind - I just saw the website yesterday. I was thinking about getting a wissota but when i came along the blackstone website i was impressed.

how does that bat gauge work. Magnet? pressure? looking to get an edge checker as well

Two prongs that make contact with the blade. No magnets.

What's the deal with the "spinner"? No/ different dressing? It does not look as sturdy as the portable "Classic" that I have.

btw- Unless they made some changes, that "Bat Gauge" is a POS.

Edited by wickedwrister

It's a new market - these new portables are a more-economical option than the regular ones. The regular ones still have their place in the line. The X01 is for the Wissota-type user and the X02 is for a team who needs a lighter machine for travel. Notice also that the wheels are smaller - they are 4" wheels.

I would LOVE to have a regular-sized Spinner portable with the radiusing equipment, but that's some major coin.

The Spinner is a diamond on a bearing - it runs along the wheel when fed into it and stops by itself once the wheel is dressed.

I do prefer my Quick Square to the Bat Gauge especially in a shop setting. Too many moving parts and I can see clumsy employees killing it.

Can you change the ROH with the spinner or do you have to stick a different one on? The video said it is set for 1/2". What do you do if you need something different?

I like the weight of the team travel. I might be in the market if only so I can bring it on an airplane. My blademaster is too heavy.

I believe it's 45 lbs.

Yes, the Spinner will come in different ROHs. You just plug in the one you want. There's no wrench needed, it's essentially a cartridge. Takes seconds to switch them.

Pre-ordered mine last week with the accessory package with an extra wheel, lube and bat gauge. Looking forward to getting a hold of it and seeing the spinners capabilities as I am used to a traditional sharpener.

Going to be interesting. ;)

I am literally set to order the wissotta next week, then I log on and see this......thanks....lol

Can anyone tell me why I should go with this machine? Esp. over the Wissotta?

I believe I'll stick with the blademaster level gauge I planned on getting,,

Because you are getting a more efficient, professional-grade machine at around the same price point.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at both machines and see which one is better, IMO.

These are 4" wheels so I don't have data on that, but I believe the number they were tossing around with the regular sized wheels was 1000-1200 prs on a wheel, and the Spinner was good for 4-5 wheels. The thing about it is that it barely takes stock off the wheel because the Spinner hits the wheel with the same pressure every time as it adjusts to the wheel speed.

Because you are getting a more efficient, professional-grade machine at around the same price point.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at both machines and see which one is better, IMO.

I understand the price is a wash but from the link you posted, how does someone arrive at the conclusion the Blackstone is better? The page posted is very vague on information regarding how it's built, other than motor speed.

Looking at the Wissotta site however, I see made in the USA, entirely including motors, information about the castings and its direct drive, no pulleys etc..Also , the site is deep with information regarding technique and other information.

I'm not a rocket scientist but to me, the wissotta seems to be the better machine from the information provided.

But... I figured I'd ask as someone may be able to enlighten me as to specifics.

I admit, the machine looks nice but I don't come too the same slam dunk conclusion with the exception of the wheel dresser. That does look nice.

• Like 1

Stronger motor, faster RPM, easier maintenance (I've taken out heads out of machines and Blackstone is very easy to do), dressing the wheel is much easier (I remember you had to bust out a calculator to figure out ROHs on a Wissota) better holder (every click is calculated and it is lighter), better tabletop, and 30 lbs lighter.

Give them a call, they will be more than happy to talk to you. They're technical guys over there. Tell them I sent ya.