Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebseb

skates NOT made in china

Just saying this...

For top-end skates, the only option for canadien made skates, I have more issues with canadien made then not.

Granted, that is between different brands, and each model is going to have design flaws, but it just seems as if the hand-made skates have more issues then not, because a human is involved that is going to do something different every time, compared to a computer who will do it the same way every time.

However, I've had more issues with the model right below something canadien made, which is made overseas, compared to the canadien made product. Granted different price points, and usually have the same level of skater in them so that would be expected, take it for what its worth.

I thought they were press molded around a last? (alive/curv material based skates)

Or do I need a complete overhaul on my idea of the skate manufacturing process?

The machine forms it (as that material needs heat/pressure to take shape) but everything else is assembled before and after that. They don't throw all of the components in there and get a built skate.

I must say that I like the "handmade in Canada" signature on my mlx's box.

And I also think that the quality of the skates is more significant by dealing with R&D and QC rather than the place it's being made in...

Yeah, and look at how sloppy those things were.

That example doesn't help this argument.

No it doesn't, you're right, mlx's are nowhere near the degree of customizability you can find with graf and high-end bauer series.

I wonder if there will be a chinese hockey brand that will try to break in the market, just like they did, with pretty much any other good that's out there....

Also I don't know what proportion of the quality of let's say totalone skates relies on the workforce quality or rather the machinery and the equipment used...and how it is different in terms of durability from the "made in thailand" one100

TO and ONE100 are made the same way, in the same place.

...and now is the time for me to be quiet..

From the Repair Shop I deal with Calgary, who is very reputable with its customers and Professional Hockey clubs, every Skate company has Qualty Control issues to a degree regardless if they are made in Canada or China. My Totalones that I thought I got a good deal on are not so great. I bought them slightly used for $400. However....

Problem 1. Blade holders didn't line up with the predrilled holes on the boot so the blades were bent.

Problem 2. Because of the blade holder problem, one of the blades cracked.

They constantly fix these new Bauer blades with the half aluminum half steel design.

Solution to Problem 1 & 2. I got new holders and steel. However....

Problem 3. The Left boot was molded crooked and on a slant from the factory causing my ankle to always want to roll to the outside. This essentially prevents me from crossing over with my left leg because the inside edge of my blade is not aligned stright causing me to blow a tire.

Solution to Problem 3. I am not even going to bother fixing these skates as I have too many comfort issues with them. For the first half a dozen ice sessions I had with these skates, they felt really comfortable. Now, I have the worst lace bite and ankle bone aches ever.

In conclusion, I have no one to blame but myself for buying these slightly used skates as I imagine the original owner noticed these issues as well and decided to sell them and get a new pair instead or fixin them. The thing that concerns me is that unless you have trained eye like the owners or the repair shop I use, most people, even those that have played hockey a long time, probably would never notice these issues until he or she used them a couple of times on the ice. I know that I will pay a lot closer attention to how straight and true the skates are when searching for my next pair.

I have always used the top of the line skates for the elite hockey I was playing, and the quality of the skates I have owned after 2002 when I quite competative hockey, have pailed in comparrison to the skates I owned before that time. Hopefully I will one day find something that will satisfy my feet.

I do believe a fair few Grafs, high-end Bauer, CCM and Reebok are made in Canada. That's what I will get (a Canadian made skate) when my CCM U+ 07 wear.

Just Graf. RBZ is made in China now, and while the 20k was made in Canada, would not surprise me if the new skate is made in China as well.

Regardless, just because it is made in Canada, it doesn't mean it's a superior product. That argument can't be made anymore.

Just Graf. RBZ is made in China now, and while the 20k was made in Canada, would not surprise me if the new skate is made in China as well.

Regardless, just because it is made in Canada, it doesn't mean it's a superior product. That argument can't be made anymore.

I'm kind of late to this and I read fast but imho I rather, and do go out of my way to buy American made products unless the product doesn't compare or the price is wildly unjustified. This has to do a little bit with supporting things being made here and a lot to do with Chinese ethics in which there are none. There are also countries that come to mind that warrant my money (germany, Japan) but those relate to other goods and not so much hockey.

I'm kind of late to this and I read fast but imho I rather, and do go out of my way to buy American made products unless the product doesn't compare or the price is wildly unjustified. This has to do a little bit with supporting things being made here and a lot to do with Chinese ethics in which there are none. There are also countries that come to mind that warrant my money (germany, Japan) but those relate to other goods and not so much hockey.

Right, because 13 year old girls are being forced into slave labor to make your Bauer Vapor skates. What a shame.

This post was started in 2008 and we still have the same ignorant garbage and borderline racism 5 years later? Heck, even the misguided attitude of foreign-made products being vehemently inferior to domestic has got to be more thana decade old.

You have absolutely no idea and I really hope that you take the time to educate yourself on this issue and to reconsider what you just spewed out.

He could be referring to the fact that there are plenty of Chinese manufacturers who have no problem with infringing on patents, some even held by companies that they are manufacturing for. He is hardly the first to express cynicism at Chinese business practices if that is the case.

If your company has control over the factory, there is no reason why a Chinese, Phillipino or Vietnamese skate is lesser in quality than a Canadian or U.S. made skate. I just prefer to spend my money on North American labour, that's all. I am certain you can get a North American made dud like you can an Asian made dud. I like my Vietnamese made CCM U+07 skates fine.

When I was going to market a new triathlon bicycle, China was going to be where a majority of the bike was going to be manufactured whether or not I liked it. I have toured a few factories- a very minor few were like the horror stories you have read about. Don't get me wrong- the bad were HORRIBLE. But the good ones that were run by North American contractors were better than their North American counterparts in some cases.

It's sentimentality as far as why I will occasionally spring for a North American product, as well as being flush with cash. I would prefer American (speaking of Canada and u.S.) jobs to be saved and will buy when practical. But my wages can't afford American products. It sucks, frankly.

My thought is that I have no idea what the working conditions are in Chinese factories, because their government is not enforcing the labor protection laws in place. I'd like to think that Bauer, along with the other major hockey manufactures, are adhering to these laws. But, there have been a number of studies showing that at least some companies, Apple, Samsung, are taking advantage of lax regulations. Here is a link to a Wall Street Journal article discussing this.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/09/25/working-conditions-the-persistence-of-problems-in-chinas-factories/

Right, because 13 year old girls are being forced into slave labor to make your Bauer Vapor skates. What a shame.

This post was started in 2008 and we still have the same ignorant garbage and borderline racism 5 years later? Heck, even the misguided attitude of foreign-made products being vehemently inferior to domestic has got to be more thana decade old.

You have absolutely no idea and I really hope that you take the time to educate yourself on this issue and to reconsider what you just spewed out.

I have taken the time and there can be a large book written on it. I didn't go into much detail as my post would be as long as, well, a large book and that's not what this is here for. I get that most people are ignorant to the facts but pleaser do not mistake me for one. I also said nothing about all foreign products being inferior I just stated due to certain reasons I try my hardest not to buy when.it's made from certain places. I drive a ford, but I know damn well there are parts in there that most likely come from 50 different countries.

And for arguments sake I wish I was allowed to work when I was 13 but evenwhen I was 15 and had working papers no one would hire me.

Was talking retail.

Good point. Not much difference in price on top of the line high end retail and the custom or VH route by the time all is said and done though. Especially with MAP pricing.

wonder why so much China bashing when other countries labor seem much worse, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, etc come to mind...

personally, i dont care where it is made, as long as the price is good and quality is acceptable.