Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldNSlow

Modern vs. Traditional Skates

Have you tried Vapors in a wide size? I have wide forefeet and narrow heels and I have no pain in my skates.

I have wide forefeet and I couldnt even come close to fitting in vapors. Supremes were a bit better, but still no go. For my wide forefeet and nice heel-lock, it was Eastons.

There is also the issue of what each person calls "wide, narrow or regular". Trying stuff on is the only way to be sure.

That was the point I was trying to make. Trying on different skates was the only way to fing the correct skate, as is preached here so frequently. I was told that with a wide foot, the Supremes were my skate....and for most that can be very true....just not for me. My "wide" was much wider/different than other peoples "wide". As soon as I slid my foot into the Easton, it was like "AHHHHHH". It felt soooo good compared to everything else. I knew at that exact second that the Stealth fit was perfect for me (except for the volume...which actually hasnt given me any issues at all).

I had a very similar problem to yours...I had a brand new pair of Graf 703's given to me by a pro acquaintence of mine, and they fit snug, which I like. However, I did notice that I felt like the skates were too flexible skating, as they were a softer boot than what I had worn in the past (modern Vapors). I usually have to use a skate that allows good ankle flex, but the Grafs were almost too much so. I switched to some one75's, got them baked, and was sold on the newer technology with skates. NEVER have I had a better fit. Go with the modern materials and designs, they're definitely worth it in the long run.

OldnSlow...

As far as weight difference between the 705 and ONE95.... can't really tell much of a weight difference.... maybe slightly..... for me it was the stiffness and power transfer that I noticed. And after all, that really is the most important thing a skate should be doing.

Hey guys, here is the latest in my quest for fitting skates. Still need help! I like my skates really snug, and just a bit short at the toe.

one95

These seemed to fit well when I first slipped in my foot. I tighted them well and walked around for 15 minutes. At some point, the top of my foot (around the mid-area) started to hurt a bit. By the time I took the skates off, I was in pain at the top of the foot. To my suprise, the sides of my foot felt good around the forefront, which is pretty wide.

Vaporx60

These never felt great. The side of my mid-foot and forefront were being slightly pinched. The weird thing is that my heel didn't feel locked in place as well as in the 0ne95s. Not sure why.

FlexLite

They felt nice on my foot. The thing I didn't like was the excesively large toe box. I couldn't even tell there was something around my foot in the front 1/3 of my foot. I also noticed they were significantly less stiff than the other skates. I question the durability of these skates.

S12

Holy smokes. The ankles were being pressed by all sorts of objects in the skate. The rest felt fairly well, although I didn't have them on long because I knew that I couldn't deal with the ankle pain.

Now what?

If you want you can always go custom thats another choice you can take in consideration. But judging from the skates you've tried on if the one95 feels good with a bit of pain and after baking them won't work you can punch them out too.

Hey guys, here is the latest in my quest for fitting skates. Still need help! I like my skates really snug, and just a bit short at the toe.

one95

These seemed to fit well when I first slipped in my foot. I tighted them well and walked around for 15 minutes. At some point, the top of my foot (around the mid-area) started to hurt a bit. By the time I took the skates off, I was in pain at the top of the foot. To my suprise, the sides of my foot felt good around the forefront, which is pretty wide.

Vaporx60

These never felt great. The side of my mid-foot and forefront were being slightly pinched. The weird thing is that my heel didn't feel locked in place as well as in the 0ne95s. Not sure why.

FlexLite

They felt nice on my foot. The thing I didn't like was the excesively large toe box. I couldn't even tell there was something around my foot in the front 1/3 of my foot. I also noticed they were significantly less stiff than the other skates. I question the durability of these skates.

S12

Holy smokes. The ankles were being pressed by all sorts of objects in the skate. The rest felt fairly well, although I didn't have them on long because I knew that I couldn't deal with the ankle pain.

Now what?

Sounds like the one95 might not be deep enough but is good otherwise. Have you tried the RBK 9k yet? It might be the best solution.

one95

Vaporx60

FlexLite

S12

Now what?

Like you, I'm coming back to the ice after 10+ years away from it and have been having trouble finding an ideal fitting skate. I got so desperate that I flew out to Santa Ana, CA for the day (this was today actually) just to visit the Monkeysports Superstore and I finally came home with the fit I've been looking for.

I had the same experience with the Flexlites as you in terms of spaciousness. I think they fit me better than they fit you (hard to describe but they weren't snug enough) but they didn't fit that well and after a few minutes in them, the side of my foot and ankle were hurting. But the stiffness of the 4.0s I was trying on felt fine to me.

It looks like you haven't tried Rbk or CCM and to me at least, it sounds like they may be a good match to your foot.

I had ordered and tried on skates from both brands but neither felt wide enough around the forefoot, putting pressure on the ball and outside of my feet. I felt like the heel lock, stiffness, ankle size/space of the CCM U+ 09s was almost spot on to what I remember my Tacks felt like. The Rbks had some pressure on my around the ball and outside of my foot but regardless they never felt right around the ankles to me. The same pressure that I had in the Rbks was definitely worse in the CCMs and felt like it was the end of the plastic toe cap pushing back into my foot. Even though the pressure felt like the end of the hard plastic toe cap it was actually the U+ foam putting the pressure on my foot and I felt no pressure at all after having the skates baked in store. The skates feel amazing and I can't wait to get them sharpened (didn't want to sharpen them and have the TSA possibly bother me about it) and get out on the ice.

In summary... sorry I babble... you should definitely try on pairs of Rbk and CCM skates since it sounds like they may be a good fit for you. If the forefoot of these brands feels slightly narrow for you just know that a quick skate bake can can make all the difference in the world.

You guys also have to remember how much higher end composite skates can change in fit in a matter of days. Break in on my one95's has been, well, amazing.

It looks like you haven't tried Rbk or CCM and to me at least, it sounds like they may be a good match to your foot.

Those skates tend to have much less depth and it sounds like he needs a skate with more depth across the mid foot area. It's never a bad idea to try on a pair of skates, but I don't think it will resolve the issue. Something from the Graf 709 family may be an option here.

If you don't mind me asking, when you did the measurement to determine whether you had a wide foot or not, what was the actual size?

I'm trying to decide whether to get one95s in a D or E width and am trying to get peoples opinions and experiences to help determine what will be best for me (don't have the privilege of trying everything on first - australian ice hockey...)

The New Balance sizing chart tells me I have a D width foot (sz 11.5 width 111mm).

Is this comparable to peoples choices in the one95?

have you contemplated any sort of complete skate customization? I have funky feet, pretty wide and flat. I have a pair of One95's that I got a deal on but I've had so much work done to them I feel like an NHL'er working on his skates. Punched in several places, tweaked to fit my foot. I wish I could find some company where I could travel to their plant and have some mold made of my foot and the skate completely built to me. I don't skate completely pain free and I wish I could just have something fit me, no matter what the cost is.

have you contemplated any sort of complete skate customization? I have funky feet, pretty wide and flat. I have a pair of One95's that I got a deal on but I've had so much work done to them I feel like an NHL'er working on his skates. Punched in several places, tweaked to fit my foot. I wish I could find some company where I could travel to their plant and have some mold made of my foot and the skate completely built to me. I don't skate completely pain free and I wish I could just have something fit me, no matter what the cost is.

I'm in the same boat as you, hoping I don't have to punch my one95's but there's a good chance I will. A lot of guys actually end up doing the same. It's just too bad customs cost so much.

I'm in the same boat as you, hoping I don't have to punch my one95's but there's a good chance I will. A lot of guys actually end up doing the same. It's just too bad customs cost so much.

I disagree. As with anything...shop around. You will find that customs are not as expensive as you think...especially when you add in the total cost of ownership. Breaking in a boot that is not designed for your foot, pain, punching out problem areas, orthodics.....the list goes on to the amount of time, gas, and additional cost goes into having a boot that was not made for you.

I could not be happier with the choice I made to go pure custom. I flew in to get the measurements and the fitting. Still worth every penny, and I now have skates that will last me the next couple of years. After only two skates with the new precious foot gems, I notice so many new things I never felt before. The total elimination of negative space will take some time to get used to, because I was so used to the top portion of my foot having play in the boot (hard to find a C width skate in a pro stiffness boot) and I was not aware that my right foot was 1/4" smaller than my left. But in only two outings, the lateral control that a zero negative fit gives is miles apart from any other skate I have used. Darting in and out of traffic with the boot completely wrapped around your foot and weighing about as much as a heavy sock has felt nearly effortless...not to mention the rapid acceleration you get from the right fit when you have the proper skating form.

I could not be happier with the choice I made to go pure custom. I flew in to get the measurements and the fitting. Still worth every penny, and I now have skates that will last me the next couple of years. After only two skates with the new precious foot gems, I notice so many new things I never felt before. The total elimination of negative space will take some time to get used to, because I was so used to the top portion of my foot having play in the boot (hard to find a C width skate in a pro stiffness boot) and I was not aware that my right foot was 1/4" smaller than my left. But in only two outings, the lateral control that a zero negative fit gives is miles apart from any other skate I have used. Darting in and out of traffic with the boot completely wrapped around your foot and weighing about as much as a heavy sock has felt nearly effortless...not to mention the rapid acceleration you get from the right fit when you have the proper skating form.

Could you elaborate exactly how you started this process and go into finer detail about it? The 99th percentile feet on this board would surely appreciate it!

Is there such a thing as tying your skates too tight?

I really cranked down when I tested the one95. I tried the one75 skates yesterday and also cranked down on them, and I didn't feel pain at the top of my midfoot. The catch, if it is a catch, is that the skates were 1/2 half too big. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size so I couldn't test. Next, I'm going to find a shop that has both skates in my size.

Is there such a thing as tying your skates too tight?

I really cranked down when I tested the one95. I tried the one75 skates yesterday and also cranked down on them, and I didn't feel pain at the top of my midfoot. The catch, if it is a catch, is that the skates were 1/2 half too big. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size so I couldn't test. Next, I'm going to find a shop that has both skates in my size.

Yes, you can indeed tie your skates too tight!

Yes, go try out the One/75's in the proper size and then it sounds like you may have found what your looking for. Make sure to try them out in the "D" and "E" widths as well and get the one that is most comfortable for YOU. Looks like the guys on this thread have given you lots of great help and advise so good luck and keep us posted.

Unfortunately none of the LHS near me have the one75 in my size. Frustrating to say the least.

I may wait until February-March anyhow, for the price drop once the TotalOne skates appear. I've been skating in pain for over a year, so I can handle another 10 games with wide turns and slow cross-overs.

...if I were in your shoes I'd try the S 12 again ..this time longer and get it baked ...yes , the ankle area is the most pronounced and preshaped of any skate I have seen so far ...but all the material that 's in there is to blend with your ankle area while being baked , as it is fully thermomoldable ...

..you said the skate feels great ..only the ankle area doesn't ..so get it baked .....

I have the S 17 ..which is the S12 with different steel and lining material , and according to some other LHC employee , slightly softer composite shell ......and i skate the S9 at the moment ..with the same heel area as the S 12

..so far I can tell ...the S9 feels a tad too soft for me now ..as my skating has improved ......and the S17 , which I bought 6 months ago ..felt a bit stiff .....so I will order a pair of S 12 now ..

..and be careful ...buy them as tight ( short as you can handle ) ..as mine stretched after baking and sakting once half a size , if not a full size

..had a 9,5 S 17 , same size as my old Z-air .....but returned them after 1 session and got a pair of 9 W now ......and ordered the S9 in 9 EE , which was spot on

Could you elaborate exactly how you started this process and go into finer detail about it? The 99th percentile feet on this board would surely appreciate it!

He saw me, and I told him to trust me, and he did. :)

End of story.

Update.

Since I started this thread, I have tried on Graf G70, Graf G7, Graf 570, Graf 709, and CCM U+. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I didn't fit well into Bauer (too narrow) and Easton skates (painful ankles). I (we) have diagnosed my problem as a depth issue.

Graf G70 - at eyelets 4, 5, and 6 (from the toe), I fail the pencil test. I have a bone that sticks up, like a round bump, and when I tighten the skates snuggly, I start to feel pressure in that area. There was definite pain, but not as bad as with the one95s, which cut off blood flow. One thing to note, I did try on a pair that was .5 size too small.

Graf G7 - these actually felt good. But I fail the pencil test in that same area. The G70s are supposed to be deeper so now I'm questioning whether I didn't lace them tight enough to test that top-of-the-foot area.

Graf 570, Graf 709, and CCM U - I didn't take out the pencil to test, but they all felt deep enough; however, major heel slippage.

Custom?

You don't have to go custom. Find a skate that fits well except for the volume issue and go a half size longer in it. There's a very good chance that will fix the volume problem, but is it now too long for you? Contrary to old thought, your toes don't *have* to feather the cap, that's not absolutely necessary. Remember, a half size is 0.17 inches, perhaps give it a go and see how it feels. The only thing that matters is that you like how it fits and that you can skate well in what you bought!

the modern skate has greater lateral stiffness which will transfer more power from your stride directly to the ice. If a skate flexes side to side you will lose some of that inertia built up through your body and as you stride the energy that should be propelling you forward is being lost somewhat when the skate flexes laterally. Thus you are not transferring the full energy of your body directly into the blade and are losing energy.

As a side issue of this thread...

Is this quote correct?

Yes. And that lateral pressure on the sides of a skate is what causes them to break down. And if you're a heavier individual, you're going to put more lateral pressure on the boot and need a stiffer boot.

Yes. And that lateral pressure on the sides of a skate is what causes them to break down. And if you're a heavier individual, you're going to put more lateral pressure on the boot and need a stiffer boot.

That is why my big ass has never been able to skate better than I can now with my one95's! I was 6'0 200lbs at 12 years old already flexing out graf's! I am now 6'7 300lbs and never have a blister or pain in my 95's! Not to mention the fact that I can put the power down in these!