Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldNSlow

Modern vs. Traditional Skates

Yes. And that lateral pressure on the sides of a skate is what causes them to break down. And if you're a heavier individual, you're going to put more lateral pressure on the boot and need a stiffer boot.

That is why my big ass has never been able to skate better than I can now with my one95's! I was 6'0 200lbs at 12 years old already flexing out graf's! I am now 6'7 300lbs and never have a blister or pain in my 95's! Not to mention the fact that I can put the power down in these!

Jesus, you're a monster on ice. If you can find a pair of nb vapor 40's that fit you, they're even stiffer than the one95.

Yes. And that lateral pressure on the sides of a skate is what causes them to break down. And if you're a heavier individual, you're going to put more lateral pressure on the boot and need a stiffer boot.

That is why my big ass has never been able to skate better than I can now with my one95's! I was 6'0 200lbs at 12 years old already flexing out graf's! I am now 6'7 300lbs and never have a blister or pain in my 95's! Not to mention the fact that I can put the power down in these!

Jesus, you're a monster on ice. If you can find a pair of nb vapor 40's that fit you, they're even stiffer than the one95.

I don't think there is a Bauer skate stiffer than ONE95

The nb vapor 40 is just a little stiffer. I had a pair, loved em but they ate my feet :angry:

I've got a related question...

I've been skating for the last two years in Vapor XXV's, size 7.5EE. They have overall been a good skate for me, but lately I've been uncomfortable in them. I can't really explain it, there's no pain, I just feel like I can't get them locked into place.

For the pencil test, I'm fine the top three eyelets, but when the "L" starts to curve, the pencil touches my foot. It's brushing on the left foot, but maybe 1/8" to 1/4" on the right foot (which seems to be 1/4 size bigger/wider in general). I don't know if the skates being two years old has anything to do with it.

I'm wondering if I should be using skates with more instep depth? If I tighten the laces to get my foot locked into place, I get lace bite and numbness, so I usually leave them a little looser. I've been using waxed laces and skipping the top two eyelets, otherwise I feel like I can't get enough forward flex (which is surprising considering how mediocre a skater I am).

Anyways, two questions:

1. For the short term, should I try re-baking them? I spoke with the LHS I purchased them from and they said they could redo it, but I don't know if that would hurt the boot since it's been heavily, heavily used (still feels stiff though). Or would lacing outside-in get me some more volume?

2. If I do need something with a bit more instep depth, would the U+ 09's be worth exploring? They are a reasonable price and seemed to fit well in the store (I still needed a wide size). The heel didn't lock in place, but from what I read the U+ foam would do its thing with baking.

Nobody has any insight?

Last night I re-laced my skates outside in, skipped the first eyelet near the toes, outside-in up the skate, then skipped the 3rd eyelet, laced inside-out on the 2nd, skipped the top. I was trying to relieve a little pressure near the "L" of the skate and keep the forward flex, it did feel better. Maybe good enough to hold off on new skates for another several months...

The nb vapor 40 is just a little stiffer. I had a pair, loved em but they ate my feet :angry:

I actually tried on both and to me the one 95 was the stiffest boot I could find out of everything from ccm to graf. The only skate I did not try on was the easton s17. WOuld have liked to though.

And yes, I am a monster on ice. I can skate pretty well too so it is a sight I am sure. I am not a lanky 6'7, more like a 6'7 version of Owen Nolan or John Leclair.

I actually tried on both and to me the one 95 was the stiffest boot I could find out of everything from ccm to graf. The only skate I did not try on was the easton s17. WOuld have liked to though.

And yes, I am a monster on ice. I can skate pretty well too so it is a sight I am sure. I am not a lanky 6'7, more like a 6'7 version of Owen Nolan or John Leclair.

Easton's top end carbon fiber skates are pretty damn stiff. And they're wonderful. I'm a firm believer in their (proprietary) coil system as well.

That said, if you really want rock hard, you can get skates even stiffer if you go custom. Bauer has 4 levels of stiffness- retail skates are always a 2. Think of how stiff those 40s and One95s are. Yeah. They can make those suckers STIFF. I'm pretty sure other brands can up the stiffness on custom orders as well if you need it, and it sounds like you might actually be able to benefit from that.

Easton's top end carbon fiber skates are pretty damn stiff. And they're wonderful. I'm a firm believer in their (proprietary) coil system as well.

That said, if you really want rock hard, you can get skates even stiffer if you go custom. Bauer has 4 levels of stiffness- retail skates are always a 2. Think of how stiff those 40s and One95s are. Yeah. They can make those suckers STIFF. I'm pretty sure other brands can up the stiffness on custom orders as well if you need it, and it sounds like you might actually be able to benefit from that.

When it is time to replace my 95's I will look into custom's for sure! I am a powerful skater and I think I would bennefit from it! Maybe Eastons since the one series are made in thail;and now!

I've got a related question...

I've been skating for the last two years in Vapor XXV's, size 7.5EE. They have overall been a good skate for me, but lately I've been uncomfortable in them. I can't really explain it, there's no pain, I just feel like I can't get them locked into place.

For the pencil test, I'm fine the top three eyelets, but when the "L" starts to curve, the pencil touches my foot. It's brushing on the left foot, but maybe 1/8" to 1/4" on the right foot (which seems to be 1/4 size bigger/wider in general). I don't know if the skates being two years old has anything to do with it.

I'm wondering if I should be using skates with more instep depth? If I tighten the laces to get my foot locked into place, I get lace bite and numbness, so I usually leave them a little looser. I've been using waxed laces and skipping the top two eyelets, otherwise I feel like I can't get enough forward flex (which is surprising considering how mediocre a skater I am).

Anyways, two questions:

1. For the short term, should I try re-baking them? I spoke with the LHS I purchased them from and they said they could redo it, but I don't know if that would hurt the boot since it's been heavily, heavily used (still feels stiff though). Or would lacing outside-in get me some more volume?

2. If I do need something with a bit more instep depth, would the U+ 09's be worth exploring? They are a reasonable price and seemed to fit well in the store (I still needed a wide size). The heel didn't lock in place, but from what I read the U+ foam would do its thing with baking.

I was not a fan of the ccm's but I also did not bake them. I like the supreme line a lot and the 75's are like 250.00 on some sites. I never had a pair of skates that would have passed the pencil test until I went to the supremes aned wow does it make a difference! I skated 8 hours one day and my feet felt amazing afterward! Plus I am a big guy and just standing for 8 hours usually makes my feet hurt! :D

When it is time to replace my 95's I will look into custom's for sure! I am a powerful skater and I think I would bennefit from it! Maybe Eastons since the one series are made in thail;and now!

Eastons are made in China. No skates are being made in Canada anymore.

Update.

Since I started this thread, I have tried on Graf G70, Graf G7, Graf 570, Graf 709, and CCM U+. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I didn't fit well into Bauer (too narrow) and Easton skates (painful ankles). I (we) have diagnosed my problem as a depth issue.

Graf G70 - at eyelets 4, 5, and 6 (from the toe), I fail the pencil test. I have a bone that sticks up, like a round bump, and when I tighten the skates snuggly, I start to feel pressure in that area. There was definite pain, but not as bad as with the one95s, which cut off blood flow. One thing to note, I did try on a pair that was .5 size too small.

Graf G7 - these actually felt good. But I fail the pencil test in that same area. The G70s are supposed to be deeper so now I'm questioning whether I didn't lace them tight enough to test that top-of-the-foot area.

Graf 570, Graf 709, and CCM U - I didn't take out the pencil to test, but they all felt deep enough; however, major heel slippage.

Custom?

round bump, huh? Maybe this is the bigger problem than your foot depth. Have you considered orthotics? I had very painful bumps (its a foot deformity nick named pump bumps), and the only way for me to solve the issue was to get orthotics to take the pressure off the bumps.