Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twister18

What kind of foot do I have?

Sorry for the novel I am about to write here, But really need some input......I completely stuck and need some help. Got back into the game about 5 yrs ago, and I have gone through at least 6 different pairs of skates, most after being 'fitted' by an 'expert' at the LHS. I am at my wit's end trying to find a pair of skates that don's actually KILL my feet.

Started with a pair of tacks 952's that I got on clearance, were totally wrong size for my feet (size 9d), absolutley killed my feet, too narrow, and too long (Rookie mistake)

next up was a pair of CCM vector 6's that i was 'fitted' for in a 7d. My foot was absolutley spilling out of these skates, and had pain through my midfoot.

Next was a pair of Synergy 800c's in 8w that i was fitted for at a different shop. these came close to fitting, but again, my midfoot felt cramped and was spilling out over the top of the skates. I tried numerous lacing styles, but no matter what the sides of the skates always looked like ( ) instead of l l when viewed from the top. I also couldn't deal with the toe box- it wasn't high tall enough (I need to be able to wiggle my toes and couldn't in them, they would hit the top immediately)

Then on to a pair of Supreme 70's in 8ee. Again, midfoot was spilling out over top of the skates. Toebox was HUGE, I loved it. These were too long, though as I could never touch the front of the toe box. i ended up putting foam in the front of the skate to take up some of the gap, but never really felt comfortable in these, heel lock was non-existant, i think due to the wrong length. (again, these were fitted by a local shop)

Briefly tried a pair of my buddy's Reebok 4k's in a 8d, but again, felt like my foot was in a vice.

Pair i am in now comes closest to fitting- a pair of BAuer 8090 7.5 ee. My foot still spills over the top a bit (tongue is above the eyelets by a bit if looked at from the side), and I get a bit of pain in my midfoot in these, as well (eyelets 4-7 from the BOTTOM), mainly on the outside of both feet. It also feels like the arch in the boot is in the wrong spot for my feet- feels as though the arch is too far back towards the heel, if that makes any sense. Nonetheless, these have been the closest I have had to a skate that almost felt 'good'. These were recommended to me by a pro shop guy last year who trying to fit me, and helped me track them down on another board.

Any recommendations? I am thinking of trying the new flexlites, but don't know if they would just be a waste of coin as well, and cant locate them nearby? Willing to try almost anything at this point,

I have never even come close to passing the 'pencil test' in any of these skates, although the 8090 comes the closest.

Right now I am wondering what kind of skate may actually fit my feet, as i am sick of hobbling around all nite after practice with cramped up feet from ill-fitting skates. Obviously, do to poor experiences, i don't have much faith in my local shops, so i'm looking for help (the pro shop guy that helped me with the 8090's moved away, and I have no way to contact him). I am trying to avoid the custom route, because of expense, and because I really don't have a good enough relationship with any of the local shops to trust them to get the fit right.

I attached pics of my feet, the footbeds in the pics are from my 7.5ee 8090's I have many more pics if need be, too, I just didnt want overwhelm anyone with my ugly feet, lol

IMG_0554-1.jpg

IMG_0553-1.jpg

IMG_0549-1.jpg

IMG_0547-1.jpg

IMG_0548-1.jpg

IMG_0550-1.jpg

Most likely you need deeper fitting skate with more volume. The skates that I can think of right now is : Bauer Flexlites, Graf G70, Graf 709, possibly the one95 as I've read on here fits deeper then the 8090? Not sure on that one but, someone can correct me.. Or custom which can save you a lot more trouble in finding a pair that fits you perfectly. You also have a very small arch which is why your mid foot gets a bit of pain(arch collapses as you bend your knee and skate).. Do you use any special type of insoles? superfeet? Orthotics?

I have tried to use superfeet, both the old grey models and the newer yellow ones, but found the volume of the skate the took up outweighed any positives I got from the support :(

Biggest problem I'm having is that not many stores have any wide width skates to ever try on. I actually was told by one of the more reputable shops around here that "with the feet you have, i cant help you, the best bet is to order something online" and although i appreciated the honesty, I would have rather been able to help find a solution.....

Shifter is correct. It looks like you have a very high volume foot which is very wide. The skates he has mentioned are skates you should seriously consider. You may also want to consider a RBK or CCM skate in a EE or EEE width. A shallow fitting skate will not do for feet like yours so stay away from Missions, lower 700 series Grafs ( 703,704 ) and D width Eastons. I can't honestly say the Easton wide width will fit you well either because even though they are a wide model they may not be able to handle your foot volume.

Vapor or Supreme series skates in EE with a custom footbed would probably do the trick. Or any of the other aforementioned skates.

Basically it sounds like they just tried to get you in a pair that they had, instead of being honest and saying you need an 7.5EE instead of this 7D or whatever. If you ever are out of town i'd suggest going to a lhs there, as it sounds like the ones close to you are just selling you what they have in stock more than what is good for you.

Your feet are similar to mine. I had a great fit in the flexlites; I'm currently in a wide width Graf 735, but the flexlites were probably a better fit, and certainly more comfortable with the softer boot.

Vapor or Supreme series skates in EE with a custom footbed would probably do the trick. Or any of the other aforementioned skates.

Basically it sounds like they just tried to get you in a pair that they had, instead of being honest and saying you need an 7.5EE instead of this 7D or whatever. If you ever are out of town i'd suggest going to a lhs there, as it sounds like the ones close to you are just selling you what they have in stock more than what is good for you.

vapor or supreme wont work for him i think..he got pretty wide forefoot and also on the middle part too just like mine. RBK might work..

Vapors and Supremes won't fit him. these skates are meant for medium width feet.

Well my feet are high volume like you and even wider than yours at the front. If you really truly don't want custom, you can try to find a good boot stretcher guy who will take some time with you and you also should leave your bottom 6 laces or so totally loose. I can tolerate a 8.5 E CCM Tack this way, and my feet are even wider than yours. Oh and also you might want to try wearing some super thin skate socks and the thinnest crappiest footbed you can find to give you more room...every mm counts.

+1 for shifter on the Grafs and Flexlites. I have feet that look quite similar to yours and have actually skated in 709s. These were absolutely perfect for my feet, no pain at all, but I got cold toes which made me switch. I now own a pair of Flexlite 12s, which are even better for my feet, because there are no cold toes. I would try a pair of 709s, or something similar in Graf(they have cheaper models with similar fit if $$$ is an issue) or go for a pair of new Bauer Flexlites if they fit like the Flexlite 12s I have.

I have tried to use superfeet, both the old grey models and the newer yellow ones, but found the volume of the skate the took up outweighed any positives I got from the support :(

Biggest problem I'm having is that not many stores have any wide width skates to ever try on. I actually was told by one of the more reputable shops around here that "with the feet you have, i cant help you, the best bet is to order something online" and although i appreciated the honesty, I would have rather been able to help find a solution.....

I use these instead of Superfeet grey/yellow. They're made for lower volume footwear. I've found they take up a lot less room in the skate, and serve the same purpose.