Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyBoxersSayJoe

New Bauer Neckguard?

They have been on the big dealer sites for a little bit now. It looks like an update of the Itech then Mission, Ultimate loose or tight performance shirts.

Looks nice and low profile though. I wonder how warm it gets with that on your neck.

I tried one at MSH Summer Jam 2 and I noticed the zipper and corresponding string more than the neck guard at first (you zip in and out of it kind of like a wet suit). The neck guard was very flexible and comfortable for me and the shirt itself kept me cool. The grip on the elbows also helped keep my pads in place. I know one other member at the skate wore it for a bit and then changed out of it because he didn't like the feel of the neck guard, but I kept it on for the entire skate. It's a bit of a pain to get in and out of since you have to reach behind you to get zipper string, but the neck guard itself didn't bother me and I haven't worn a neck guard in over a decade. I usually wear Nike crew neck long sleeve shirts with the grip on the elbows (various nike and nike/bauer models over the years).

I offered to give it back to the Bauer reps along with the TotalOne skates and X60 gloves I tried, but they were kind enough to let me keep the shirt. I would've loved to keep the skates too, but I'm grateful for the shirt :happy: . I've been wearing my crew neck Vapor shirts since the skate and haven't broken this one out again yet, but it'll definitely get into the rotation. I haven't worn it again yet because I still haven't worn out my old shirts and they're a bit easier to get in and out of - I'll definitely wear the new shirt when my old ones wear out or when I feel like I need or want more protection.

I stopped wearing shirts under my shoulder pads a few years ago. Don't know if I could go back.

likewise

I've tried all kind of base layers, and nothing like being in the buff

Is it much better than a traditional neck guard? I've played goalie with a Reebok 3k, and skated out with the 3k. I can't stand it skating out but in net it's nice. I like the idea as I normally just wear underarmour Turfgear(LS heatgear) because cold gear causes me to overheat on the ice. Do you think it's worth the 45 dollar price tag althoma1?

Is it much better than a traditional neck guard? I've played goalie with a Reebok 3k, and skated out with the 3k. I can't stand it skating out but in net it's nice. I like the idea as I normally just wear underarmour Turfgear(LS heatgear) because cold gear causes me to overheat on the ice. Do you think it's worth the 45 dollar price tag althoma1?

It's definitely better than the neck guards I had to wear in the 90s...WAY better from what I can remember. I remember the foam things that stick out a bit. It's flexible and much lower profile. I didn't really notice it after a while. If you're going to be wearing a base layer and you need or want to wear a neck guard then yes, I definitely think it's worth getting. Of course I haven't worn any other recent stand alone guards so I don't know how far they've come in the past 10+ years.

It looks like it sits really high up on your neck. maybe that's just me, I'm used to using an easton neckguard with like nothing to it. Personally, I hate the feel of the things on my neck. What kind of foam stuff does it have in it?

kimcrouchshort346901434.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have one of these and they are really comfortable because they are so soft. I have found the shirts with the built in guards from Mission etc a bit of a pain because of the zip on the back which is difficult.

It's definitely better than the neck guards I had to wear in the 90s...WAY better from what I can remember. I remember the foam things that stick out a bit. It's flexible and much lower profile. I didn't really notice it after a while. If you're going to be wearing a base layer and you need or want to wear a neck guard then yes, I definitely think it's worth getting. Of course I haven't worn any other recent stand alone guards so I don't know how far they've come in the past 10+ years.

I remember asking you about this at the skate. If I had known we could keep them, I would have tried one for sure. For $70, I just know if I could justify the price since I have a neckguard that is pretty comfortable when I can find it in my bag and remember to look for it. THe built in shirt deal removes that variable. I'm not too proud to wear a neckguard. I value my neck a lot more than 1000 bucks (sic) chief.

Looks very intersting to me. To many images of Barraso [sp] in my head. Safty 1st at my age. Might have to try one of the shirts. Wish they were not so expensive.

Looks very intersting to me. To many images of Barraso [sp] in my head. Safty 1st at my age. Might have to try one of the shirts. Wish they were not so expensive.

You're probably thinking about Clint Malarchuk, not Barasso

It looks like it sits really high up on your neck. maybe that's just me, I'm used to using an easton neckguard with like nothing to it. Personally, I hate the feel of the things on my neck. What kind of foam stuff does it have in it?

After it was brought up yesterday, I decided to break it out for last nights game. I'm not sure what's in the neck protector besides Kevlar, but it's not much thicker than the rest of the shirt and it's really flexible. It didn't bother me at all in the game and kept me cool. I noticed it when putting it on in the dressing room, but I didn't even think about it after I was on the ice - it wasn't any more or less noticeable for me than my regular shirts. The plus of course is that it's more protective than a regular shirt. No blades near the neck thankfully so I haven't had a chance to just see how effective it is at deflecting cuts and I hope I never have the opportunity.

Thanks for the reminder. Parents have been buying a lot of these Bauer shirts. That photo makes you think! If it doesn't, then you're not thinking at all. Thanks for sharing.

Anybody got a name on these things? I've got some extra money saved for whatever hockey stuff I might need. I'm using a Bauer like N8, I really don't like it. I'll drop by my LHS' and take a look for it.

Would a neck guard have prevented that injury? Not saying not to use one but just wondering...

I personally don't think so. It kinda looks a bit higher than neck, almost jaw line. But maybe a cage might have stopped that, but there's lot's of players who don't wear them.

The neck guard on the shirt is made with kevlar to meet spec. It is not stationary as it is part of the shirt. Therefore, it may or may not have been high enough to prevent that cut at the moment of blade impact. A wire cage is too far off your jaw to have completely prevented that cut. Also, it seems the standard in college hockey is to wear your wire cage long and loose. That seems pretty silly now in light of this event.

I personally don't think so. It kinda looks a bit higher than neck, almost jaw line. But maybe a cage might have stopped that, but there's lot's of players who don't wear them.

It was an NCAA game, so he had some kind of cage on. I don't think any neck guard is that high, it's just a reminder of the damage that can sometime happen. You can't be prepared for every freak occurrence, on the other hand you never know. Like I said, it's got me re-thinking a neck guard.

It was an NCAA game, so he had some kind of cage on. I don't think any neck guard is that high, it's just a reminder of the damage that can sometime happen. You can't be prepared for every freak occurrence, on the other hand you never know. Like I said, it's got me re-thinking a neck guard.

Ah I see. I thought it might've been just helmet or visor. I figure that I'll keep wearing a neck guard, the way I see it, companies will only make them more light and comfortable. Well hopefully.