Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lee-Bro

OEM and Hockeytron

i know a guy who buys sticks from some factory in China, and the sticks are from the bauer factory, but with no decals so he gets a totalone with only the carbon weave for something like $50

If only someone would make a knockoff of them, and sell them for like $30, I'd totally buy a whole bunch!!!!!

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer

Found this topic interesting when I read it last week, and then I see this:

http://www.hockeytron.com/

Of course, the only Tron products they have in stock so far are the low and middle end sticks.

From their description for their gloves: "This a very high end glove. It is the same exact make-up as the Eagle PPF glove which retailed for $229."

And their shins: "This shin pad is coming from the manufacturer to retail. If it were going through the normal distribution process it would retail for $99."

Cheap shipping, money back guarantee - these guys remind me of cheap car companies that offer impressive lists of features and great warranties. You won't get a Honda with GPS and leather for $20,000! Yet it simply doesn't drive the same.

I don't mean to mock them -- it's a smart gamble: 410 grams! MSH2 palms!

Anyway, I'm most tempted by their $9 dri-fit socks.

a company that references another company isn't one to be trusted, in my books.

The guy behind Hockey Tron actually has a pretty solid resume. I wouldn't bet against them...

Jason, thanks for the kind words, but, it has been done. Let me spell it for everyone:

GEAR

Reshaped the industry. Why are there sub $100USD sticks? What the fuck was GEAR? NOTHING, that's what! A NO NAME BRAND that reshaped the industry! Prove me otherwise.

Actually, it doesn't matter. I won't be responding to it. Gotta love the internet...everyone thinks they know, yet, in reality, they don't know shit.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean when you say GEAR "reshaped the industry". I remember seeing GEAR sticks occassionally on websites in the early days of the OPS, but thats pretty much all I saw of them. I don't have any clue about their price points, quality, or quantity sold. Is there any way you can elaborate on what you mean when you say they reshaped the industry?

I was just going to post those Tron gloves to see what's up with them. SMU's from Eagle? If they're a copy, I'd be curious to see where the people who have vouched for Hockey Tron stand on this, since other companies take so much heat for copying Warrior's Franchise glove. The fact the gloves have MSH2 palms makes me think that they must have permission from Eagle?

And as far as the shin's go, they look like TPS to me. Look at the ridges on the knee cap and shin portion, and compare them to older R-series TPS gear. Looks identical. I would assume the shoulders and elbows are the same as well. Again, SMU's for Tron or what?

Edited by HattrickSwayze

This was all done far before any of the majors did it and they were making money (and huge margins) on each of these price points. Today, everyone has a $49 or $59 OPS.

Cut out one of the layers of markup and it's easier to make a profit. How long until someone is successfully able to sell direct from the factory and cut out the retailer?

EDIT:

Not knocking anyone, by the way, just curious.

• Like 1

Already happening on sticks from some companies (major even). Give it five years and I won't be surprised to see it from someone selling gear direct to public.

Edited by raganblink

I was just going to post those Tron gloves to see what's up with them. SMU's from Eagle? If they're a copy, I'd be curious to see where the people who have vouched for Hockey Tron stand on this, since other companies take so much heat for copying Warrior's Franchise glove. The fact the gloves have MSH2 palms makes me think that they must have permission from Eagle?

Are there people vouching for this stuff? Seems like it's a new venture. I couldn't find a stick review.

Already happening on sticks from some companies (major even). Give it five years and I won't be surprised to see it from someone selling gear direct to public.

Base Hockey

Edited by watchgreat

Are there people vouching for this stuff? Seems like it's a new venture. I couldn't find a stick review.

It's a new storefront but the guy behind it has spent a lot of time at some of the biggest online hockey retailers out there.

I personally haven't gotten any hands on time with the sticks but considering they've only been sold online for the last two weeks or so, it's not terribly surprising they don't have any reviews floating around. Its probably not much to write about anyway, just a generic price point stick. Anyone expecting $150 Easton or Bauer quality will probably be disappointed.

I'll throw my $.02 in here... I've used Gear OPS's before (atrocious) as well as the Tron LE (good bang for the buck). I'll throw up a full review of the Tron in a little bit, but there is definitely a market for quality inexpensive hockey sticks.

The biggest problem I see with this idea is look at all the other OEM things that come to mind, for example Nike Shox, Phones, and Under-Armour-like materials.

They all seem to be cheapos when you actually get them and use them. I know there are other examples that don't tend to be as cheap, but I wouldn't buy a knock-off version of a S19 for 1/2 the price, if I was going to get 1/4 the low kick-point, durability, and feel, and some weird ass curve.

Just sayin.

For the average Joe Schmoe weekend warrior, the OEM stuff is an excellent alternative. They really don't care about flex, performance, curve or weight. They just want a stick that works, and won't take food of of their kids' mouths! For guys like us, it's all about being able to put on the skates, and not about how many goals we scored or how many T Shirts we won!

Sometimes I really wonder if the some of the people on this board really take their hockey that seriously, especially the beer leaguers. :facepalm:

Figured I start a topic to discuss the tron sticks since the other one was deleted..............

Ordered an LE stick and got a free basic. Customer service was great, even at 1:30 in the morning, I found someone to answer my questions.

Edited by bostonjuniorblackhawks

Figured I start a topic to discuss the tron sticks since the other one was deleted..............

Ordered an LE stick and got a free basic. Customer service was great, even at 10:30 at night, I found someone to answer my questions.

How did you manage that one?

actually both feats are pretty impressive but I was curious about the free stick lol and to go even kinda further off topic, I just got the $30 pro travel bag and I am very impressed with it so far

Edited by nickyb13