Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caz

Worst and Best Commentators

The Pittsburgh guys are terrible. I'd rather stab myself in the ear drums with a pencil than listen to a full game with them. I also don't like the younger guy on the Kings broadcasts.

I'm biased but I like the Vancouver announcers, John Shorthouse and John Garrett. Bob Cole is also good, he's got a unique voice and way of calling the game.

Who was doing the Blackhawks vs Blues last night on Versus? I love Olczyk as the analyst but the guy calling the game was putrid. It was like "Oshie has the puck.......long pause....... now it's behind the net...... long pause...... Keith shoots.... wide."

As a Kings fan I love Bob Miller. I think most hockey fans do. Jim Fox gets a lot of crap. Rightfully so.

I don't mind guys who use a sparse call like that. On TV you don't have to describe EVERY single thing that happens. You can let the pictures tell the story.

As far as who does a good job. IMO, For PBP, Chris Cuthbert (TSN and sometimes NBC)is phenomenal!!!!

I like Jim Hughson (CBC) when he lets his analyst/color guy do his job.

Craig Simpson is good.

As far as Studio guys...I hate, no...HATE!!!!! Steve Kouleas on TSN. He's so bad!

Pang is good, haven't seen him much on a broadcast, just as part of the TSN panel. Although, I'm not a fan of "Holy jumpin'" *L*

The Pittsburgh guys are terrible. I'd rather stab myself in the ear drums with a pencil than listen to a full game with them. I also don't like the younger guy on the Kings broadcasts.

I'm biased but I like the Vancouver announcers, John Shorthouse and John Garrett. Bob Cole is also good, he's got a unique voice and way of calling the game.

Yeah, because he's damn near senile *L* He anticipates what's going to happen too often, then has to backtrack as the play moves in a different direction than he thought it would.

ie: "The Habs clear the puck to center...or do they? Someone kept it in there..." then he;'ll fumble for the name of the player. *L*

ie: "The Habs clear the puck to center...or do they? Someone kept it in there..." then he;'ll fumble for the name of the player. *L*

Kind of reminds me of that Keith Jackson call "and he throws it away............for a touchdown!!!"

The Maple Leaf guys are pretty funny. I think its Joe Bowen and Greg Millen or something, they can turn a boring game into a great game!

Best: Bob Cole (wish he still did the Leaf games)

Worst: Rick Jeanneret BY FAR. I can't stand listening to that guy. Even worse than the Red Sox announcer who sounds like he has cottonballs in his cheeks.

Being from Detroit, I love the combo of Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond. Larry Murphy is a pretty good third man with them. I know a lot of people don't like Murph though. I love the Wings radio announcer Ken Kal as well. I also really like Ron MacLean from Hockey Night in Canada.

I don't like Mike Emrick or Pierre McGuire. I hate when Versus or NBC picks up Wings games because of them. I'm also not a fan of the Penguins or Sharks announcers because they seem to talk down whatever team they are facing. At least, that's how it comes off to me.

Rick Jeanneret from Buffalo is iffy for me. Sometimes I like his calls but other times it's just annoying.

Ok, so full disclosure: I'm from Texas. But with that said, I honestly believe that "Razor" (Daryl Reaugh) is one of the best color commentators in the business. He's a bit verbose at times, but surprisingly fair...and hilarious.

I agree. He is one funny dude. Ralph Strangis is great too and keeps the game exciting. He actually does theatre in his spare time. Just curious, but is it common for teams to have their announcers do both radio/TV? I've always wondered if the Stars were one of the few teams that do that.

Too bad he is on Pittsburgh Penguins radio now, but Mike Lange was like no other! Easily the best and most exciting play caller in hockey!

I have never been able to figure out why his nonsensical calls were praised."Get that dog off my lawn"; "scratch my back with a hacksaw". WTF does that mean? Maybe it's me but I can't stand this guy's style.

I sort of wanted to bring on another topic related to this one too, like how do you guys feel about HOMMIE commentators, like i.e. Detroit, Boston, Philly, and a couple others. I'm not saying ALL other commentators don't like their own teams the work for, but they tend to actually have a lot less bias then others might?

hmmmmm?

I have never been able to figure out why his nonsensical calls were praised."Get that dog off my lawn"; "scratch my back with a hacksaw". WTF does that mean? Maybe it's me but I can't stand this guy's style.

I personally love the ridiculous calls but thats my opinion. I don't think he even knows what they mean. Mike Lang could be drunk when he is saying those things. Ive heard he likes to drink alot from people that have worked with him.

Most-likely Emrick, maybe I am off my rocker, but I'm 99% positive he does ALL the VS, and NBC broadcasted games. READ BELOW if you want my opinion on Doc.

He doesn't, and, as stated, Pat Foley was working with Eddie that game.

Best: Bob Cole (wish he still did the Leaf games)

Worst: Rick Jeanneret BY FAR. I can't stand listening to that guy. Even worse than the Red Sox announcer who sounds like he has cottonballs in his cheeks.

I agree, why did Bob Cole stop doing the games? He seems to do the other game on Saturday night, but never the leafs. To me he just has the "Hockey Night in Canada" voice about him.

I agree, why did Bob Cole stop doing the games? He seems to do the other game on Saturday night, but never the leafs. To me he just has the "Hockey Night in Canada" voice about him.

He's Montreals English announcer now, if I recall. Maybe with all the non-playoff years for Toronto, he wanted a chance to work the playoffs again? heh. Just like I much preferred Harry Neale over Millen, but he's with Buffalo now for some reason.

Cole lives in the Maritimes. He used to fly in for Leaf games. Perhaps he likes Montreal, as it is closer to home and he must be really near retirement. Great commentator but now he makes way too many mistakes.

I think it's just a matter of CBC knowing Cole is near the end of his career and giving Hughson the marquee push Nationally

I think it's just a matter of CBC knowing Cole is near the end of his career and giving Hughson the marquee push Nationally

I do like Jim Hughson. Also, are you saying the Leafs are the marquee game each Saturday? Haha. Must of been hard saying that as a Habs fan. Don't worry, I know your comeback. That all changes next week...again...

You may not like his catchphrases as they may be polarizing but they add color. Those may have brought Lange attention, but his ability to call the game is what makes him elite. He's good on TV, but actually better on radio. I hate guys who try to call every pass..."Smith passes to Brown, who passes to back to Smith, Smith with the shot, save, rebound, shot, etc..." Lange and the other greats are able to describe the game while at the same time letting the listener fill in the blanks in their mind. Like reading a book compared to watching the movie.

I do like Jim Hughson. Also, are you saying the Leafs are the marquee game each Saturday? Haha. Must of been hard saying that as a Habs fan. Don't worry, I know your comeback. That all changes next week...again...

It was hard to say to be honest...but as far as HNIC is concerned Saturday night hockey = the Leafs.

Doc Emrick is good...

whoever does the habs games on cbc hockey night in canada is good.

the announer for the leafs games on cbc is good, and sportsnet.

the two guys that call the canucks games on cbc are pretty bad (Craig Simpson and Jim Hughson I think) and the guy that calls the bruins games. Jack Edwards I think...

the announcer from tsn is pretty good, he does all the world jr canada games too...

sorry for the lack of names.

The guys in Buffalo are the worst, hands down. Watching the Sabres/Lightning game earlier this week, besides being annoying he made comments that were completely wrong. He also seemed to have trouble with some of the Lightning player's names, Ohlund's name is not Matt... I've NEVER heard anyone call him Matt. He also made some comments that you could only expect from a casual fan that doesn't quite understand all the rules of the game.

Every time I hear them I understand why some people think the team on VS is great, it's a massive upgrade and they suck. Doc makes some of the weirdest comments.