Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caz

Worst and Best Commentators

The guys in Buffalo are the worst, hands down. Watching the Sabres/Lightning game earlier this week, besides being annoying he made comments that were completely wrong. He also seemed to have trouble with some of the Lightning player's names, Ohlund's name is not Matt... I've NEVER heard anyone call him Matt. He also made some comments that you could only expect from a casual fan that doesn't quite understand all the rules of the game.

Every time I hear them I understand why some people think the team on VS is great, it's a massive upgrade and they suck. Doc makes some of the weirdest comments.

Huh??? Was it Generete????(Sabres) He is the best in game.......and knows hockey???? Weird???

Rick Jeanerrete may be the "best" of the over the top, stylized guys, but I don't think he is the best at purely calling the action of a hockey game.

You may not like his catchphrases as they may be polarizing but they add color. Those may have brought Lange attention, but his ability to call the game is what makes him elite. He's good on TV, but actually better on radio. I hate guys who try to call every pass..."Smith passes to Brown, who passes to back to Smith, Smith with the shot, save, rebound, shot, etc..." Lange and the other greats are able to describe the game while at the same time letting the listener fill in the blanks in their mind. Like reading a book compared to watching the movie.

How can you not love Pat Foley?

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/downloads/PatVKarp.mp3

I like Doc, just wish he wouldn't go off into the stories quite so often. I really like Joe B from Washington as well, their home broadcasts are usually pretty fair overall. Jim Jackson in Philly could be pretty good as well, but it's hard to tell if he's clueless or just a whining homer at times. I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and go with homer.

I agree, I love Panger. I met him in Chicago, he is a great guy. I would love to see him and Emrick together, although eddie is not that bad. I think the Red wing crew of Daniels/Redmond is one of the best I have heard.

I love the Redmond/Daniels combo, but I wasnt sure if Daniels homerism had gone too far. He worked a couple non-red wing games for Versus a week or two ago and was fantastic, he knows the game and the league, not just the Red Wings. As much as I would miss him on FSN, I hope he becomes a regular on VS and even NBC.

I love the Redmond/Daniels combo, but I wasnt sure if Daniels homerism had gone too far. He worked a couple non-red wing games for Versus a week or two ago and was fantastic, he knows the game and the league, not just the Red Wings. As much as I would miss him on FSN, I hope he becomes a regular on VS and even NBC.

Redmond is bordering on senility if the last few times I've heard him are representative of his current work.

How can you not love Pat Foley?

I like Doc, just wish he wouldn't go off into the stories quite so often. I really like Joe B from Washington as well, their home broadcasts are usually pretty fair overall. Jim Jackson in Philly could be pretty good as well, but it's hard to tell if he's clueless or just a whining homer at times. I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and go with homer.

It's very rare to hear Foley really down on someone like that.

He and Eddie have the same problem with discussions. They're interesting, but why they have to start them (and keep them going a long time) after the puck is in play, I will never understand.

Redmond is bordering on senility if the last few times I've heard him are representative of his current work.

Mickey Redmond is like your drunk grandpa though. Even if he doesn't make a lot of sense, he's entertaining. I like him and Ken Daniels calling the Wings games. Larry Murphy can be a little iffy sometimes though.

Cole lives in the Maritimes. He used to fly in for Leaf games. Perhaps he likes Montreal, as it is closer to home and he must be really near retirement. Great commentator but now he makes way too many mistakes.

Cole sucks everytime he calls a habs vs leafs game you can tell hes disappointed when the canadiens score or win hes a leaf fan, and he's boring he's at the end of his career now he used to be awesome but now he's just slowed and just doesnt seem like he's even into it.

I think Jack Edwards salted away the award for worst with his "Ode to the Composite Stick" this past Sunday. And if that wasn't enough then his Swedish impersonation after Erbom scored sealed it.

Sam Rosen of the NYRangers is one of the best in the business.

Worst, is by far the douche who does the Avalanche games...really annoying.

Pierre McGuire is the most annoying analyst going. Goes on an on about world class this and that. Gushes about every Montreal Canadian, just drives me to the mute button. I do respect his knowledge and his accomplishments but god he just never shuts up..wait he's suppose to talk...lol

I totally agree!!

It is a shame that PMcG is such a poor communicator, because his hockey knowledge, as you say, is very very good.

I can't remember if it was on here once or with someone at work...but I compared him to John Madden....Madden definitely KNOWS football inside and out, but the way he communicates is so annoying to me.

Not in the mood to look up some of the names but the guys I don't like are:

-Larry Murphy (too much of a homer for me)

-Jack Edwards (homer and just annoying in general)

-Both of the guys that do the Predators (just too old)

-Joe Beninatti, sp (can't stand his voice and the way he pronouces things, a bit of a homer too)

-The play-by-play guy for the Wild (voice cracks a lot, sounds like a teenager)

-The guy on the NHL Network that always says "jam".

The ones I enjoy are:

-Mike Emrick (just enjoy him for some reason)

-Both of the Sharks guys (good chemistry, funny, the color guy seems to call the Sharks players out on dumb plays!)

-Almost all of the HNIC crew (Pierre works for TSN right!)

-Eddie O.

Not in the mood to look up some of the names but the guys I don't like are:

-Larry Murphy (too much of a homer for me)

-Jack Edwards (homer and just annoying in general)

-Both of the guys that do the Predators (just too old)

-Joe Beninatti, sp (can't stand his voice and the way he pronouces things, a bit of a homer too)

-The play-by-play guy for the Wild (voice cracks a lot, sounds like a teenager)

-The guy on the NHL Network that always says "jam".

The ones I enjoy are:

-Mike Emrick (just enjoy him for some reason)

-Both of the Sharks guys (good chemistry, funny, the color guy seems to call the Sharks players out on dumb plays!)

-Almost all of the HNIC crew (Pierre works for TSN right!)

-Eddie O.

Kind of nuts how a guy who played for 6 teams can be a complete homer, but it's definitely true.

Oh yeah, hes completely out of touch, but he and Daniels have a good give and take and he's unintentionally funny. You give and you take.

I can't stand Eddie O. Being from Chicago and having to hear him every game he just gets to be so annoying. Every time I hear "Listen here all you young hockey players" it just really bothers me. Plus I have watched him walk from the stands and over to the bench of his sons squirt team about 3-4 years ago just to yell at his son. Not my kinda guy...

I think Joe Beninati calls a great game. I might be partial from living so close to DC. The Caps radio guy is TERRIBLE.

I wish I could remember who it was. I was watching a replayed game on NHL network from the previous night a few weeks ago, and the guys were so bad/annoying I turned it off. Maybe Panthers? I don't remember. You could easily tell what team they worked for. Called it very one sided.

I'd also like to add to the Pierre McGuire hate. Man that guy just won't shut the hell up. I'm was so glad to see NBC using Darren Pang this weekend.

I think Joe Beninati calls a great game. I might be partial from living so close to DC. The Caps radio guy is TERRIBLE.

I wish I could remember who it was. I was watching a replayed game on NHL network from the previous night a few weeks ago, and the guys were so bad/annoying I turned it off. Maybe Panthers? I don't remember. You could easily tell what team they worked for. Called it very one sided.

I'd also like to add to the Pierre McGuire hate. Man that guy just won't shut the hell up. I'm was so glad to see NBC using Darren Pang this weekend.

It's Steve Kolbe and he is awful. No news on the game just random facts and stats. Like, "Caps win every Wednesday night where it rains .1" .... BACKSTROM SCORES!" No where is the puck, no great feed or pass ... nothing. Just random facts that he interrupts with scores! I'd rather watch it update on Yahoo then listen to Kolbe.

'm partial to Beninati also I think he is pretty well rounded and isn't too homer and can do a variety of sports.

I cannot stand the Pens announcers and Jack Edwards. Like nails on a chalk board.

so many pierre mcguire haters, everyone finds his enthusiasm annoying but i love it :)

and i absaolutely HATE bob cole(cbc). he should start talking about whats happening instead of what happened 20 seconds ago.

im starting to like kevin weekes(cbc). either that or his goalie skills make his commentating look good

Honestly....I think Turco would have made that face to any announcer there just the for the sake of doing it. He seems like a ham to me.

Turco spent most of the warmups in Washington talking to Pierre, he was just mugging for the camera in that video. Personally, I think he's just trying to lay the groundwork for getting into broadcasting next year.

Watching the TSN rebroadcast of the Sharks - Kings game last night on NHL network and I need to add Cammy Granato's husband to my "do not like" list. He was ok doing intermission work for NBC a couple years ago, but not all game long.

The best (or worst, I should say) was when he was doing the Olympics and spent an entire pre or post game segment ripping team USA for not selecting Cammy. That was the last time I ever listened to him speak.