Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beaucoup_fish

Graf Outsoles

Change the style of boot to use a composite outsole? The Supreme boots don't seem much different today than a few years ago to me...the holder doesn't dictate the type of outsole a boot needs I don't believe. You can easily change the cobras to TUUKs if you wanted...

I do have to say that the TPR outsoles do work fine though, amid all the hubbub of low profile composite outsoles...I don't find that they make much of a difference...

Change the style of boot to use a composite outsole? The Supreme boots don't seem much different today than a few years ago to me...the holder doesn't dictate the type of outsole a boot needs I don't believe. You can easily change the cobras to TUUKs if you wanted...

I do have to say that the TPR outsoles do work fine though, amid all the hubbub of low profile composite outsoles...I don't find that they make much of a difference...

Ok when Bauer changed theirs the changed the tuuk to the lightspeed. They raised the back of the lightspeed 6mm and 3mm in the front. So really theirs nothing different in the height its just a thinner carbon sole. If you look at the G line of Graf skates notice they only changed the martial of the outsole not the height of it. So no need to change the holder.

Change the style of boot to use a composite outsole?  The Supreme boots don't seem much different today than a few years ago to me...the holder doesn't dictate the type of outsole a boot needs I don't believe.  You can easily change the cobras to TUUKs if you wanted...

Ok when Bauer changed theirs the changed the tuuk to the lightspeed. They raised the back of the lightspeed 6mm and 3mm in the front. So really theirs nothing different in the height its just a thinner carbon sole. If you look at the G line of Graf skates notice they only changed the martial of the outsole not the height of it. So no need to change the holder.

Ok, but what I'm saying is that a material change in the outsole does not warrant a change in the holder. If you look at the first gen composite outsoles like on the old Supreme 5000s, they still used TUUK Custom + holders.

Therefore Graf's rationale for sticking with TPR outsoles can't be because they would have to change their holder. So there must be some reason that Graf is sticking with TPR outsoles on the majority of their boots...I suppose that cost of carbon/composite materials would increase manufacturing costs and that may be a reason.

What you originally said was that they would have to change the style of boot (I'm assuming you meant that they would have to change the boot to utilize a composite outsole) and I don't see how that could be.

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is: If composite outsoles really make THAT much of a difference (which I don't think they do), why does Graf continue to use outsoles that are considered "underperforming" when compared to composite outsoles?

I understand what you mean...in a way. The first gen composite outsoles like on the old Supreme 5000s never had to change the tuuk cause they were part of the TPR outsole...not a full composite outsole. They were still rapped in plastic so no need to change the holder as there was no change in the height.

why does Graf continue to use these outsoles? It works for Graf and their thinking is why change it...it works?

Why reinvent the wheel?

I would tend to agree with that sentiment...I doubt that most skaters really feel the difference between a composite outsole and a TPR outsole...I suppose the composite ones do look sexier...and we all know how hockey players love sexy looking equipment...

Hmmm...but if a lower profile outsole really does necessitate a holder change, shouldn't it be impossible for a TUUK Custom + to be mounted on one - which it is obviously not, considering the number of people I see with 8000s or 8090s or Pro Tacks with TUUK Custom + holders...

From what I have been told, when Nike came out with the Quest line of skates they changed the tuuk holder by raising it 3mm to compensate for the change of outsole on the skate. They say the thin outsole lowers your center of grative...but how could it if there is no change in height?

There's no getting around it...pretty soon all skates will be this way.

I don't think that they changed the height of the TUUK Custom +. That wouldn't make sense, otherwise there would be two variations of TUUK Custom + and that would just be confusing as all get out.

If I'm right and they didn't change the height of the holder, then theoretically, the outsole DOES lower your centre of gravity, but the few millimetres that it does, doesn't make any difference whatsoever - it's a few mm. :rolleyes: