Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mike_big_mac

The Perfect Curve

I want to try to learn a 3D program so I can "make" curves on my computer and see how they look from different angles. That'd be fun.

Part of me wants to see what a curve would look like that very gradually curves throughout its length starting at the mid-heel yet maintains the same loft throughout the blade. Idea being that it would be an incredibly predictable blade to play with, rather than being kinked or having a large curve in a small area, or lots of loft in one spot but not another. Of course, that being a theory it could be completely worthless in practice.

Slightly offtopic: This is the curve that I'm using right now, not sure what popular pattern this is similar to. Just eyeballing it, it seemed similar to Iginla but with a bit more loft, slightly more deeper, and looks closer to mid-heel. Anyone have an idea?

vancouver2011090200013.jpg

Slightly offtopic: This is the curve that I'm using right now, not sure what popular pattern this is similar to. Just eyeballing it, it seemed similar to Iginla but with a bit more loft, slightly more deeper, and looks closer to mid-heel. Anyone have an idea?

]

^

Looks similar to a p106 but it is lefty so I may be off a bit. I am used to looking at righty's!

My perfect curve would be a Drury, but a touch less open, with a touch of toe curve. I've recently been going back and forth between a Drury/P91A and a P106, but ultimately I like the Drury/P91A a touch better, I think mostly due to the blade profile (rocker shape).

As for the above curve, it's hard to say exactly what angle the picture is taken from, but to me it looks like a curve somewhere between a P106 and a Sakic, but closer to a P106 (not really seeing Sakic with more toe kink personally, if anything it looks a touch straighter at the toe than a Sakic, and looks like slightly more of a heel curve in general). Give a few more angles, including a shot from the side showing the rocker, and it'd be easier to give a suggestion for a similar retail curve.

My perfect curve would be a Drury, but a touch less open, with a touch of toe curve. I've recently been going back and forth between a Drury/P91A and a P106, but ultimately I like the Drury/P91A a touch better, I think mostly due to the blade profile (rocker shape).

As for the above curve, it's hard to say exactly what angle the picture is taken from, but to me it looks like a curve somewhere between a P106 and a Sakic, but closer to a P106 (not really seeing Sakic with more toe kink personally, if anything it looks a touch straighter at the toe than a Sakic, and looks like slightly more of a heel curve in general). Give a few more angles, including a shot from the side showing the rocker, and it'd be easier to give a suggestion for a similar retail curve.

This is the schema of the curve that I got, supposedly with 3/4" of depth. They also said it's a mid curve but it's definitely closer to the heel compared to a Sakic or Iginla. Where the vertical piece of tape I put on the blade is where the blade seems to start to curve and where the puck often end up at.

bc02_pro_b.jpg

updating for my new personal favorite, the Bauer P08. A hybrid between a p92 and crazy ovechkin, but with less of an open toe (similar to versteeg). much more control on the snap shot and easier to backhand. for slappers, still prefer the ovi pro curve.

269751_653135414500_26904390_34997387_7773038_n.jpg

@kerr, that's correct. I have never played with a Drury curve so I don't know how they compare. The best I can compare with are the Sakic, Iginla, and Zetterbergs. The rocker's somewhere between the Iginla and the Sakic, and has the same length as the Sakic.

Which is the P08? I can't find it in their stick creator or catalogues or anything?

it was a pro stock run. from what the local rep that got me the original TO's (repainted one95s with ovi curve) is that it should be on the stick creator this winter...

269781_653135579170_26904390_34997389_6585473_n.jpg

it was a pro stock run. from what the local rep that got me the original TO's (repainted one95s with ovi curve) is that it should be on the stick creator this winter...

There's a whole discussion of the P08 in the Ovi Comes to Bauer thread, before it veered off into crazy town. Pages 4 and 5:

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58072-ovechkin-not-renewing-ccm-endorsement/page__st__100

My son picked Vanek blade to put in his shaft a couple months ago. I installed it for him but never paid much attention to the curve until we were at stick and puck a few weeks ago. The curve reminded me of when I curved the old Easton RB100's but laying the toe open a shade. We swapped sticks for a few minutes and I fell in love!!! I am now hunting Vanek, P89 or McCabe sticks. Now my toughest decision is do I go thru Warrior Custom or My Bauer to do my sticks for this year?

I like the Vanek curve too, I just wish it had a higher lie

when I started out I was using a ccm v05 wooden stick with an "11" blade pattern, then I moved onto a sakic type pattern which I hated to begin with but grew to really like. Now I'm using a reebok 11k pro stock with the h-14 curve I'm finding my passing/handling has improved but my shooting has suffered, guess i need to work more on my technique now

Started out with the Lindros curve. Should've stuck with it but I dabbled here and there. Went to the Coffey curve then to the Lemieux Nike curve. From there went to the Mondano curve (when Synergy first came on the market) to a Sakic curve back to Mikey Mo/Forsberg curve. Finally, I wised up and went back to the P88 Lindros, now Patty K, curve and haven't looked back haha. Though I am temporarily using the Forsberg curve until I buy some new twigs. It is always nice to find 'The Curve.' Trial and error is really the only way to find that place of comfort.

I started out using the CCM Thornton liked it, but decided I'd give a few others a try. Moved onto the RBK Datsyuk and decided I didn't like square toes so moved onto the RBK Crosby as it was my understanding it was similar to the Datsyuk, but with a rounded toe. Wasn't my favorite so now I'm on the Warrior Kopitar which is my favorite and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

When I first started - it was whatever was availble at the time, first it was an old heavey wodden Titan with a very open curve - when this broke the only sticks availble had almost flat blades, a heat gun and some weights fixed this. I have found this to have been a good start as now if I am away and have to borrow a stick i can still adjust easily.

When sticks became easier to get i moved onto the Easton Gaborik untill i couldn't find a spare blade anywhere.

I then moved to the Sackic curve and finally onto a coffey clone that is a lot of fun in pick up games.

Between myself and other players in our club when we get a new person we try to get them to use a few of the different sticks we have as the only option to get one here is by mail order. (its amazing how many people buy the wrong handed stick when starting out)

Curve I'm currently using - It has taken me forever to get this to perfection. Slight kink at the heel, flat blade with a slightly open face, with a 1/2 inch curve/kink at the toe. Lie 4 almost a completely flat rocker besides the toe. Soooo in love with this thing.