Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emorrison89

whats the longest you went not playing hockey

I stopped playing before my second year bantam(16) after it just wasn't fun for me anymore, the rep teams always had the same players even though myself or any other house league players were much better, and I lost interest. I kept in the game doing reffing for 3 years, then last season I got into mens league in the A division at the age of 21. I noticed that my skating ability and hockey sense never wavered but my hand-eye and puck skills took a serious hit. It took me about half the year to get accustomed to playing with men and guys alot bigger than me(non-contact but guys lean on you and I'm fairly skinny and stand 6'2). I only finished with 6 goals and 21 assists playing as a C/RW(in a 55 game season) and went through long stretches of the year going pointless and not doing much.

I skated all summer and this year find myself alot more comfortable with and without the puck and so far have 12 goals and 21 assists through 20 games.

Anyone else go through a long stretch without playing hockey? I found it amazing how many little things I lost in my game(

28 Years. Played 1 year of Juniors and spent the year being on the wrong end of a highlight reel of the biggest hits so figured it was time to hang it up. Joined the Marines and didn't step in a rink again until I ended up working in an office that was next to an ice rink. The depressing part was that while getting dressed for my first game back I realized all of my Cooper gear was older than all of the other players in the locker room!!! Skating came back pretty quick, but my shot and stick handling are definitely still lacking. I think like everyone else; looking back I wish I had kept playing even if it was just Rec League.

20 years. I quit when I was about 8 (I played goal, because I could barely skate, and couldn't stop at all).

My dad played until he was about 60. I used to go with him to tournaments and stuff, but was never interested in hockey. Along comes the 1993 Maple Leafs, and I start following them. Never forget the late nights that spring watching the west coast games on CBC.

Last year I bought skates for my wife and I (she'd never skated before), and saw a flyer in the arena for an adult developmental program and league. I always knew there were adult leagues (because my dad ran a team in one for many years), but I never realized there were adult BEGINNER leagues. I hit the LHS and spent about $500 on slightly better than bottom end gear (Bauer X:30 instead of X:20, for example - I didn't want CRAP to learn in... ). After a couple months of going to Friday night developmental classes (taught with little kids who could skate circles around most of the adults), I went to a couple Tuesday night pickup games. Tuesdays are specifically for beginners and include an hour of drills before an hour of pickup. There are always some higher skilled guys who come out and just send perfect passes to the noobs to try to help them improve. (I honestly wonder if they get to play for free, which would be just fine, since honestly I think if I was a skilled player, it would suck to pay to play with noobs...)

I decided to give the spring league a shot, since its only 10 games. If I hate it, then I send my gear to play it again sports and forget it ever happened. I got placed on a team who was clearly far above me in skill level (but still division 5). Many a time I could feel their glaring at me when I screwed up. I also pushed myself as hard as possible and in the process was often dying for air when I got back to the bench, my feet were killing me, and fairly often I'd fall awkwardly. (I've pulled abdomen and neck muscles a few times from falling and tensing up... Man is it even painful to roll over while in bed after that!)

I loved it, and I upgraded my equipment. The only thing I have left from my beginnings are my shoulders, which I plan to replace this week. I've dropped 25lbs in the last couple months, and that has really helped with my stamina. Not to say I was in shape, because I'm certainly not. But its a whole lot easier to skate hard for a full game when you're 25lbs lighter. About 40 more to go ;)

I've improved significantly, and actually get a few scoring chances per game now! Once in a while, I even hit the back of the net ;)

My biggest issues right now are my lack of being able to stop hard on my left side, cant really skate backwards, and can only do (really sloppy) crossovers while turning to my left. Typical noob issues, I suppose. I'm also horribly slow, and my puck control and ability to skate with the puck are pretty terrible. I usually try to pass it off as soon as I get it, or else it gets knocked away pretty quick.

Oh, and I also still don't know how to take a slap shot. I feel like an idiot while the rest of the team is warming up taking slappers at the goalie, I'm usually just skating around in the neutral zone with a puck working on stick handling. It's pretty embarrassing!!

Anyway, that's my story! Sorry for the short novel ;)

20 years. I quit when I was about 8 (I played goal, because I could barely skate, and couldn't stop at all).

My dad played until he was about 60. I used to go with him to tournaments and stuff, but was never interested in hockey. Along comes the 1993 Maple Leafs, and I start following them. Never forget the late nights that spring watching the west coast games on CBC.

Last year I bought skates for my wife and I (she'd never skated before), and saw a flyer in the arena for an adult developmental program and league. I always knew there were adult leagues (because my dad ran a team in one for many years), but I never realized there were adult BEGINNER leagues. I hit the LHS and spent about $500 on slightly better than bottom end gear (Bauer X:30 instead of X:20, for example - I didn't want CRAP to learn in... ). After a couple months of going to Friday night developmental classes (taught with little kids who could skate circles around most of the adults), I went to a couple Tuesday night pickup games. Tuesdays are specifically for beginners and include an hour of drills before an hour of pickup. There are always some higher skilled guys who come out and just send perfect passes to the noobs to try to help them improve. (I honestly wonder if they get to play for free, which would be just fine, since honestly I think if I was a skilled player, it would suck to pay to play with noobs...)

I decided to give the spring league a shot, since its only 10 games. If I hate it, then I send my gear to play it again sports and forget it ever happened. I got placed on a team who was clearly far above me in skill level (but still division 5). Many a time I could feel their glaring at me when I screwed up. I also pushed myself as hard as possible and in the process was often dying for air when I got back to the bench, my feet were killing me, and fairly often I'd fall awkwardly. (I've pulled abdomen and neck muscles a few times from falling and tensing up... Man is it even painful to roll over while in bed after that!)

I loved it, and I upgraded my equipment. The only thing I have left from my beginnings are my shoulders, which I plan to replace this week. I've dropped 25lbs in the last couple months, and that has really helped with my stamina. Not to say I was in shape, because I'm certainly not. But its a whole lot easier to skate hard for a full game when you're 25lbs lighter. About 40 more to go ;)

I've improved significantly, and actually get a few scoring chances per game now! Once in a while, I even hit the back of the net ;)

My biggest issues right now are my lack of being able to stop hard on my left side, cant really skate backwards, and can only do (really sloppy) crossovers while turning to my left. Typical noob issues, I suppose. I'm also horribly slow, and my puck control and ability to skate with the puck are pretty terrible. I usually try to pass it off as soon as I get it, or else it gets knocked away pretty quick.

Oh, and I also still don't know how to take a slap shot. I feel like an idiot while the rest of the team is warming up taking slappers at the goalie, I'm usually just skating around in the neutral zone with a puck working on stick handling. It's pretty embarrassing!!

Anyway, that's my story! Sorry for the short novel ;)

Good for you losing the weight. I went 6 years and still do not have the stick handling back. My daughter started playing this season and it was time for me to get back on the ice.

as far as the slap shot..... the puck should be aligned with your forward front heel. I shoot left so the puck is aligned with my right heel. This makes a the deference... I say forward front because of moving slap shots and don't forget to transfer weight from back leg to front. Practice slowly...hope this helps a little...

I played thru high school then quit in 1990. I never stepped on the ice again until last winter 2010. I started playing pickup last March and I cant get enough. I lost alot of puckhandling and passing skills, but I would honestly say that after 8 months of playing adult hockey I may even be better than I was in High school, at least as far as being smart with the puck goes....I just wish my body was still up to the task.

I can still skate pretty well and I'm fairly fast, but my flexibility is way bad and after skating my hips are hurting for days afterward. I'm planning to see doctor next week and get an mri, but reading about the labral tears and FAI issues on the internet has me scared that my hockey comback may be short lived. Being over 40 is a bitch I guess..

I stopped playing twice. The first time1998 I had an injury during my army service - motorbike crash :smile: and collarbone went off the joint. The break took about two years. Then friends asked me if I want to play again with them. And the second time it was 2003-2005 when I was in UK and. Anyway, now I enjoy hockey so much and would like to play as long as possible. I have a friend in team who is nearly 60- I wish...

Didn't play for about a year or so around 2009/winter 2010 - tangling with panic disorder made the rink impossible. Since I've not been playing long, I was surprised how quickly I got used to the ice again. I guess there wasn't much to lose there? :laugh: Funny, too, that hockey helps w/ the panic quite a bit.

Badger it takes guts 1) to get back at it with what you are overcoming 2) To put it out on the web . Props to you man. And good luck.

Thirteen years after my mother had moved us to Southern California, with one exception. My friend stayed with us for a couple of months in Santa Barbara and we tried out for a team -- I didn't even know there was a rink in town! -- but it was my first time on skates in about five years so they didn't want me. For some reason, I didn't realize I could go to drop-ins to get my skills back, so I didn't start again until eight years later, playing for three-plus years, before marriage and kids pushed hockey aside. I was about to get back into it when a day of too much shoveling set me back nearly another year. (I don't remember getting hurt, but the next day I couldn't lift my arms without pain.)

Finally, I've been playing regularly since 1999, although only pickups since 2004.

6 years for me. I stopped after midgets in 1999 and I started playing again after college in 2005. It was a little rough my first few times back on the ice, but physically I was pretty much in the best shape of my life at that time so it wasn't too bad.

Badger it takes guts 1) to get back at it with what you are overcoming 2) To put it out on the web . Props to you man. And good luck.

Thanks. As for 2) well, anonymity makes one braver, eh? :ph34r:

Seems like since I was 17, I would stop playing for a couple years, start up again for a year or two and repeat the cycle. I'm currently getting back into it after 3 years off.

43 years. Despite growing up in northern Ontario never learned to skate or play until I was 43 which is negative 15 years ago. Damn.

Since I quit my job at Verizon Financial in the second to last week in september for this job at AT&T which started Oct 10.....so... i played that saturday of the week i quit, and didn't play again until the first week of december. Then couldn't play again until last week. back pain kept me out this week. I'm not a fan after the fact that i used to get about 30 hours of ice time two years ago. This totally blows

1994 until stick and puck last week. Played two pick up games while back home for Christmas, another stick and puck this morning. Beer league starts in two weeks, trying to get the rust off!