Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Leg Workout for Hockey

I know the topic has been covered before however, I'm looking for more of a critique on my leg workout(s) from experienced lifters. My primary goal is to improve my skating explosiveness and my starts.

I vary my workouts from week to week. For example, I'll do Workout #1 for two-three weeks then switch to #2 or #3. It usually depends on what's available at the gym. Sometimes the Squat rack is jam packed and I have to wait 20 minutes to use it.

WORKOUT #1

Barbell Squat (4 sets, max 335# x5)

Leg Press (4 sets, max 675# x6)

Leg Extensions (4 sets)

Lying Hamstring Curl (4 sets)

Hyperextensions (Weighted, 3 sets)

Standing Calf Raise (5 sets)

WORKOUT #2

Wide Stance Smith Machine Squat

Single Leg Press

Leg Extensions

Lying Hamstring Curl

Hyperextensions (Weighted)

Standing Calf Raise

WORKOUT #3

Barbell Squat

Barbell Split Squat

Lying Hamstring Curl

Hyperextensions

Standing Calf Raise

I've also started HIIT training 2-3 nights a week and am up to a 1:1 interval of 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. I know that I can incorporate Dumbbell Lunges into the mix. Other than that, what do you guys suggest I add/remove to the workout?

Try adding some adductor exercises to strengthen your groin muscle. With the amount of stretching that your groin goes through during skating(which weakens the muscle), strengthening it will help prevent injuries during quick explosive bursts.

WORKOUT #1

Barbell Squat (4 sets, max 335# x5) - Good - the squat is a full body workout. It's hugely functional wrt hockey; improves explosiveness and hip complex heath. Focus on it.

Leg Press (4 sets, max 675# x6) - Why? you're getting very little bang for your buck with these - focus on squats

Leg Extensions (4 sets) - ditto to above

Lying Hamstring Curl (4 sets) - not advisable - Check Mike Boyles work on this - hamstring curls are really for bodybuilders, your hamstring's job is primarily as a hip extender. Instead of these, do deadlifts. If there's one thing blatently missing in your program is deadlifts, one of the most important lifts for hockey. If you really want to target hamstring directly, do curls on a ball (which will recruit hip extension function at the same time.) Too much direct training of ham via "curling" can lead to problems.

Hyperextensions (Weighted, 3 sets) - why? Trust me, if you're really squating and deadlifting - both on two and one legs - your lower back, etc will get a workout.

Standing Calf Raise (5 sets) - Why? Trust me, if you're really squating and deadlifting - both on two and one legs - your calves will get a workout.

Here's what I would do with relatively low reps focusing on explosive strength; you should also think about in-season and out-season workout planning. In-season means focusing on strength and low volume. Best to keep it simple and focus on fewer, more directly beneficial exercises.

Before every workout: a.) foam rolling and dynamic mobility warm up - ie., no "stretching" b.) 10 minute agility/plyo workout

then.....

1. Squat: focus on alternating (day #1 v. day #2) between two legged and one legged off a box. I can post a video if you don't know what I mean. There is simply nothing more important than one-legged squats for hockey; well, maybe deadlifts.
  2. Deadlift: focus on alternating (day #1 v. day #2) between two legged deadlifts (USE THE TRAP BAR!!! - otherwise, without extremely good form you risk too much shearing force on spine - not worth it!) and one-legged deadlifts (these are, again, amazing for hockey and more important than the two legged.
  3. Rows - all kinds, vary
  4. Pullups - and variations (easier to harder...etc._
  5. Push ups - and progressive variations (two arm to inclined to one arm....etc)

Lifting for strength is fine and needed, but you will also need lifts/exercises to train your "fast twitch" muscle fibers for the explosiveness you're looking for.

Look into incorporating jump squats, box jumps (weighted if need be), hang cleans (not leg specific, but an amazing all-around lift), dumbell jerks, etc.

My 2 cents

Three last points:

1. Remember the idea isn't to totally exhaust yourself. It's too stimulate neural and muscular changes. A good rule of thumb is that you should feel engergized about an hour after you've finished.

2. Drink mucho water all day and make sure to get high quality proteins into your diet; and make sure to sleep regularly and well.

3. Familiarize yourself with this Kelly Starret's blog to keep yourself healthy: http://www.mobilitywod.com/. I would make my third workout day a stretching/mobility/"prehab" day. Remember, you are playing hockey too - you need to help your muscles/joints recover.

Try doing split (bulgarian) squats, they are awesome. If you gym allows it look into hang cleans. They will help with your explosiveness.

Looks more like a bodybuilding workout than an athletic strength workout. Leg extensions and curls are pretty worthless. Multi-joint exercises like squats, deadlifts, and stiff legged deadlifts should be the core of your program. Not exclusively, but the core. And get away from the Smith Machine unless you need a place to hang your sweatshirt.

Lifting for strength is fine and needed, but you will also need lifts/exercises to train your "fast twitch" muscle fibers for the explosiveness you're looking for.

Look into incorporating jump squats, box jumps (weighted if need be), hang cleans (not leg specific, but an amazing all-around lift), dumbell jerks, etc.

My 2 cents

Agreed. Adding in plyometrics is the most logical/effective thing to do.

http://weisstechhockey.com/blog/162/hockeyplyometrics/

There's a basic explanation of plyo's and a sample workout. You can also incorporate rope ladder agility drills.

Work more unilateral (one leg at time) movements into it. Also everything should be done standing machines are for bodybuilding.

A generic leg day could look like this

Box jump 3x5

DB split squat 3x6

One leg DB DL 3x6

Front squat (I prefer to use bands instead of huge loads but it's preference) 3x5

Trap Bar Dead 3x6

I don't split upper/lower but somewhere within 3 lifts a week I'll incorporate at least 4 of the things above.

To expand on the above and to clarify some of what's been said. You said you want to improve explosiveness and starts. Explosiveness comes from the application of strength in a short period of time, so strong and slow is still strong but not explosive. People mentioned plyometrics, which is ok but plyos essentially train the central nervous system to apply strength as quickly as possible. You need a base of strength before you will reap the full benefits of plyometrics. You need to learn more than can be communicated in a thread here. Start with these books:

Strength, Conditioning, and Injury Prevention for Hockey- Horrigan and Kreis

Total Hockey Conditioning- Bompa and Chambers

These are very sound fundamentally and avoid a lot of the gimicky stuff that can find its way into some programs these days.

Joe DeFranco has lots of good info on his site, not hockey specific but the principles, once understood, can be applied to any sport.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

Besides my post :smile: , I'd start with:

1. Kevin Neeld: http://kevinneeld.com/ - up and coming trainer associated with Eric Cressey, Bill Hartman, etc. He focuses on training for hockey and is extremely up to date on current research/training methods.
  2. Mike Boyle: he is one of the world's leaders in performance enhancing training; speaks and consults around the world; and a major force in hockey training and a long time/big time hockey trainer at the elite level.

Hyperextensions work the lower back not your legs.

True but they also work your hamstrings sir. This was part of a routine I found on BB.com

Looks more like a bodybuilding workout than an athletic strength workout. Leg extensions and curls are pretty worthless. Multi-joint exercises like squats, deadlifts, and stiff legged deadlifts should be the core of your program. Not exclusively, but the core. And get away from the Smith Machine unless you need a place to hang your sweatshirt.

Trooper, you're 100% correct. This is a variation of a routine I've gotten off of BodyBuilding.com. They don't have many Hockey specific workouts there, hence me posting here.

Also I just wanted to add, this is primarily a LEG only day.

I can post my actual weekly routine.

Day1: ARMS - I dedicate one full day to biceps and triceps — I've seen MAJOR growth in size and strength here however I know Biceps+Triceps are not big Hockey muscles.

Day 2: GAMEDAY

Day 3: Legs

Day 4: Shoulders

Day 5: Rest

Day 6: Back - I do Deadlifts, Bent Over Barbell Rows, Close-Grip Row, Wide-Grip Row, Reverse Grip Pulldown, Wide Grip Pulldown, Bent-Over Dumbell Row

Day 7: Chest - Incline Dumbbell Press, Decline Barbell Press, Flat Barbell Press, Pec Dips

Lots of stuff you guys posted I am going to incorporate into my workouts. :)

Thanks so much

True but they also work your hamstrings sir. This was part of a routine I found on BB.com

Trooper, you're 100% correct. This is a variation of a routine I've gotten off of BodyBuilding.com. They don't have many Hockey specific workouts there, hence me posting here.

Day1: ARMS - I dedicate one full day to biceps and triceps — I've seen MAJOR growth in size and strength here however I know Biceps+Triceps are not big Hockey muscles.

Day 6: Back - I do Deadlifts, Bent Over Barbell Rows, Close-Grip Row, Wide-Grip Row, Reverse Grip Pulldown, Wide Grip Pulldown, Bent-Over Dumbell Row

Day 7: Chest - Incline Dumbbell Press, Decline Barbell Press, Flat Barbell Press, Pec Dips

Thanks so much

This is still a workout schedule structured around bodybuilding.

Why do you want to have an "arms," back, and "shoulder" day?

If you did push ups (progressions/variations) and pullups and rows (again, see my post :smile: ) you'd get plenty of work on your arms/chest/back.

You should focus on movements, and not muscles; and focus on explosive movement in your reps. Your training to be a better athlete, not get peaked biceps.

The basic/naturally athletic movements are: squatting, deadlifting, pulling/pushing vertical, pulling/pushing horizontal.

Thanks so much

If you're using bodybuilding.com, look up the Gladiator workout on their site. It's a hockey-specific, 4 day per week program and will be more effective than any modified program

This is still a workout schedule structured around bodybuilding.

Why do you want to have an "arms," back, and "shoulder" day?

If you did push ups (progressions/variations) and pullups and rows (again, see my post :smile: ) you'd get plenty of work on your arms/chest/back.

You should focus on movements, and not muscles; and focus on explosive movement in your reps. Your training to be a better athlete, not get peaked biceps.

The basic/naturally athletic movements are: squatting, deadlifting, pulling/pushing vertical, pulling/pushing horizontal.

Thats the problem. I want BOTH. I want to have a better physique. It's my primary goal, but I also want to gain an edge with Hockey...I'm not training to be a pro or anything, just get better.

Thats the problem. I want BOTH. I want to have a better physique. It's my primary goal, but I also want to gain an edge with Hockey...I'm not training to be a pro or anything, just get better.

Then go to Joe DeFranco's site and start the Westside for Skinny Bastards program, that's EXACTLY what it was designed for.

I would be good with reverse hypers (you need a machine) but just do stiff legged deadlifts instead of regular hypers, same movement, more weight, more overall body strength.

Bottom line- athletes train movement, bodybuilders train bodyparts.

To expand on the above and to clarify some of what's been said. You said you want to improve explosiveness and starts. Explosiveness comes from the application of strength in a short period of time, so strong and slow is still strong but not explosive. People mentioned plyometrics, which is ok but plyos essentially train the central nervous system to apply strength as quickly as possible. You need a base of strength before you will reap the full benefits of plyometrics. You need to learn more than can be communicated in a thread here. Start with these books:

Strength, Conditioning, and Injury Prevention for Hockey- Horrigan and Kreis

Total Hockey Conditioning- Bompa and Chambers

These are very sound fundamentally and avoid a lot of the gimicky stuff that can find its way into some programs these days.

Joe DeFranco has lots of good info on his site, not hockey specific but the principles, once understood, can be applied to any sport.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

That's a really good point. Defranco's website is sick, makes me want to go train with him.

If you want great physique, learn to be a physique geek. If you want to be better at your sport, learn to train like an athlete and be (and look) like an absolute beast!

Three days a week for legs is going to do more worse than good. Your body won't be able to fully recover on a 3 day leg split. Hockey is a chaotic sport and requires your full body pulling in the effort.

http://articles.elit...com/tag/hockey/

That has all the essential information you'll need. Lift smart, eat well, be patient and don't be a quitter. Squatting 405lbs does not come quick. To stay consistent, set some REALISTIC goals and try to break your personal records. Learn about correct form, progressive overload, nutrition and HEALTHY supplementation (supplementation, especially in the US, is a shady market. If you have the money, buy NSF certified supplements ie. GI Nutrition, Biosteel etc.). You'll be AMAZED at how you'll feel when you stick it all together.

Trooper - the "base level of strength before plyos" is mostly smoke and mirrors. The higher the strength level, the higher the complexity of plyometric exercises you can choose from ("Power" Smith, DeFranco: 2011). Jim Wendler's take on plyo's and the people (of lack thereof) that perform them clears this issue up. (http://www.t-nation....chalk_volume_11)

Joe DeFranco has 2 good warm up templates on his website - simple 6 (upper body) and agile 8 (lower body). A good warm up will increase your performance while preventing injury.

Correct form:

Bench:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=so+you+think+you+can+bench&oq=so+you+think+you+can+bench&aq=f&aqi=g7&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=47768l49216l0l49449l10l8l0l1l1l2l331l930l0.2.1.1l4l0

Squat:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=so+you+think+you+can+squat&oq=so+you+think+you+can+squat&aq=f&aqi=g7g-s1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=48261l51208l0l51595l26l23l0l17l17l0l192l875l0.6l6l0

Deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=elitefts+deadlift&oq=elitefts+deadli&aq=0&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=10282l12095l0l13210l15l13l0l4l4l1l241l1676l0.5.4l9l0

Maria Mountain has some terrific hockey specific exercises and plans, many of the available on Youtube and her website.

They hit your hamstrings as well. Unless I am thinking of a different move.

Hyperextensions work the entire posterior chain (glutes, lower back, hamstrings). There are more effective exercises such as glute ham raises and, as Trooper stated, reverse hyper and stiff legged deadlift. However, box squats (when done correctly) and deadlifts will work the posterior chain too.

If you want great physique, learn to be a physique geek. If you want to be better at your sport, learn to train like an athlete and be (and look) like an absolute beast!

Three days a week for legs is going to do more worse than good. Your body won't be able to fully recover on a 3 day leg split. Hockey is a chaotic sport and requires your full body pulling in the effort.

http://articles.elit...com/tag/hockey/

That has all the essential information you'll need. Lift smart, eat well, be patient and don't be a quitter. Squatting 405lbs does not come quick. To stay consistent, set some REALISTIC goals and try to break your personal records. Learn about correct form, progressive overload, nutrition and HEALTHY supplementation (supplementation, especially in the US, is a shady market. If you have the money, buy NSF certified supplements ie. GI Nutrition, Biosteel etc.). You'll be AMAZED at how you'll feel when you stick it all together.

Trooper - the "base level of strength before plyos" is mostly smoke and mirrors. The higher the strength level, the higher the complexity of plyometric exercises you can choose from ("Power" Smith, DeFranco: 2011). Jim Wendler's take on plyo's and the people (of lack thereof) that perform them clears this issue up. (http://www.t-nation....chalk_volume_11)

Joe DeFranco has 2 good warm up templates on his website - simple 6 (upper body) and agile 8 (lower body). A good warm up will increase your performance while preventing injury.

Smoke and mirrors is a bit much. I'm not someone who says you should never do any jumping until you lift for X years, I said you reap full benefits when you are stronger. Wendler (whom I have been following for years and hold in high regard) only has beginner moves (two footed, non-dropping jumps) and low volume in the plan in that article.

What I rail against is when people ask for advice like here, are beginners, and ask for or are recommended all kinds of trendy solutions. For 99% of people who would be asking basic questions on a forum, basic answers would serve their needs best. Too much, "I've never lifted before, what supplements should I take?" or "Should I follow this new program?" For most people, they would benefit from the most basic program we could devise. They lose sight of basic lifts, skating to improve skating, working on skills to improve their hockey, etc.