Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

I usually just dunk mine in mouthwash and toss it back in the case. Occasionally give it a scrub with some toothpaste and a toothbrush. Good enough for my teeth, it's good enough for the mouthguard.

Isn't it also considered a boil and bite?

No I have not warn it in a game.

I guess I don't have faith in it because I can't seem to get

A definitive answer as to why biting down hard on it, would

Be any safer for my teeth than not having it there at all.

I wish I could know for sure because yes, it is thin and easily forgotten in your mouth.

Hey guys, so a lot of good questions out here and I'll try to take a stab at some of the easier ones and then follow up on some of the scientific ones. In case you have any questions for us at any time, post them here. Also, to make it clear, Protech Dent changed its name to SISU Guard in 2012, so we are one in the same.

In regards to the question above, I will give you some statistics about our guard and then I will forward your question to our science team and ask them to specifically answer this question for you with the scientific data behind it. Does it sound fair?

in terms of warranty, our product carries the highest dental warranty on the market ($30k) we hear about every dental injury any of our athletes (MMA, hockey, Lacrosse etc) gets, and the rate is extremely low – 0.004%. A conventional hockey guard has 35% dental injuries - 8750 times higher dental injury risk.

I submitted your question to our science team tonight and I'll repost the answer here as soon as I hear back. Please give me a couple of days to be on the safe side.

- Rita *Edited to update with warranty facts from our science team.

Reply from our Science Team. @HockeyButt

Biting down hard on our mouth guard has nothing to do with it's efficiency.
The material has two major advantages: 1. Sisu™ is non-compressible (1.3% compression rate in comparison to 35% for conventional guards), which means that the material doesn't cave in under impact like a conventional soft (compressible) guard would do. 2. Sisu™ has 8 times higher tensile strength, which is the same as toughness – it just doesn't break very easily.
On top of it, Sisu™ has carefully engineered perforations which makes the guard even stronger. The perforations change in size (oscillates) under impact which absorbs even more of the impact forces. It's like a bridge – you don't want a bridge to be made of one piece, but rather constructed in segments that can move a little bit in relation to each other under impact.
Take care, especially of your teeth:)
Jan Akervall, MD, PhD
CEO Akervall technologies Inc.
Maker of Sisu™

I've been using my SISU for 8 months now and really enjoy it. any recommended tips on cleaning and how often??

I clean a retainer I wear while sleeping to keep me from grinding my teeth in Efferdent, I usually just drop my SISU in there with it after every game. Every once in a while I'll clean the ShockDoctor mouth guard case with some soap & warm water or a quick wipe with a Clorox wipe followed by a through rinse & dry.

I keep my guard in an old snuff can in my hockey bag between skates. Every once in a while I put a shot of Listerine in there with it to kill the nasties. I have noticed that the guard has become somewhat softer since I have been doing that. Im assuming that its the alchohol that is softening it. I will have to start using water and toothpaste instead. Thanks...

Testimonial for SISU: It's the only one that I kept in from the second I hit the ice to the last second I was wearing my helmet. SUPER comfortable, and I spoke nearly as well as without one. Of course people still say "Huh? What? Silly accent!" when I speak...

I keep my guard in an old snuff can in my hockey bag between skates. Every once in a while I put a shot of Listerine in there with it to kill the nasties. I have noticed that the guard has become somewhat softer since I have been doing that. Im assuming that its the alchohol that is softening it. I will have to start using water and toothpaste instead. Thanks...

would it be against the rules to recommend a new guard at this point? And maybe a case? :)

how long do you recommend I use one guard for? I used my first protech for about a 9 months before upgrading, and I am hitting that here soon with the second one. they dont seem to wear out as much, I just feel there should be some replacement frequency, or maybe not?

how long do you recommend I use one guard for? I used my first protech for about a 9 months before upgrading, and I am hitting that here soon with the second one. they dont seem to wear out as much, I just feel there should be some replacement frequency, or maybe not?

We recommend that you replace your guard every 90 days or once a season. They do last longer than that, it is just our recommendation.

I wanted to come back to this thread to say that my SISU 1.6 has twice now saved me from loosing teeth. I know they are mainly for concussion protection, but last week I tried to block a clearing pass with my skate. It deflected off the toe of my skate and came straight up into the bottom of my two front teeth with an incredible amount of force. I only ended up with a cut lip, and a small chip out of the back of one tooth. After a couple of head shakes and a bloody spit, I finished the shift no problems, and skated the rest of the night. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would have lost two teeth without a mouthguard in. Lots of other mouthguards probably would have worked as well, but the SISU is the only one I've had that I wear without even noticing that it is in my mouth.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: great product, great customer service (I canceled an order when the website got the shipping page due to the cost of shipping to AK and they went out their way to contact me to ask why I didnt complete the order. When they found out the reason, they actually fixed it and I was able to place my order. The customer rep was friendly,helpful and competent. Not something one finds often these days. I am really suprized I dont see more hockey players wearing them.

SISU mouth pieces are BY FAR the BEST I have EVER used. I remember making my own make shift dummy mouth guard affixed with denture adhesive just so I could talk when playing high school hockey; I was SOOOOOOO lucky that I only chipped a couple chicklets then. If the SISU would have been around back then (we're talking 25+ years ago), my teeth wouldn't have those silly chips in them.

At least five people per game ask me about my mouth piece; it's money.

Pittu, a couple things about your post. First of all, the SISU is not and I repeat not mainly used for concussion protection. There is no mouthguard in the world that can say that they help prevent concussions (that goes for helmets as well). As a matter of fact, the SISU with its nearly rock hard material may be the worst for concussion protection. Secondly, I am surprised by your continued support of SISU after suffering a chipped tooth while wearing it. No question, that if you did not have it in or any mouthguard in you could have suffered serious damage to your chicklets and possibly even bone damage. However the hard material of the SISU is one of the reason you got a chipped tooth in the first place, there is no give or cushion from the impact. Is it better than a boil and bite, no question. However a custom fitted guard made from a mold of your teeth formed from impact absorbing EVA material is still the best protection you can get. When crafted correctly, you can breath just as easy just as easy as a SISU, you can speak just as clearly as a SISU and you can hydrate while wearing it just as easy as a SISU. The difference is that it is made specifically for you and locks every tooth in a protective barrier.

There are tons of options out there for mouthguards and I guess you have to find the best for you. I still would suggest checking out www.impactmouthguards.com. The cost and quality of their guards top notch. Some of the athletes they craft guards for are: Pro Basketball players Seth Curry (Golden State Warriors) Rodney Stuckey (Detroit Pistons), UFC Fighters Daniel Cromier, Sara McMann, MSL Johnny Rodriguez, several Denver Outlaws players, Roller Derby- Demanda Riot along with half the Gotham Girls etc.

If you are looking for a new guard, do yourself a favor and check out Impact. Fully custom for $49. Find them on Instagram, Twitter and FB.

I don't discount what you said Clyde. I have tried alot of different mouthguards and talked to people who have used a custom fit. For me, sisu has been the best as in most comfortable. If it is not comfortable to play hockey in, then I will not wear it, so it doesn't matter how much better it is.

In this case, the puck impact directly to my teeth was substantial, it was not a glancing blow, it was a direct shot to the bottom of the teeth coming upwards (apparently I skate with my mouth open..) I was impressed with how well it handled the impact.

Maybe sometime I'll have the opportunity to try the Impact, thanks for the info. If it truly is just as wearable and protects better, then it sounds like a good product.

Pittu, a couple things about your post. First of all, the SISU is not and I repeat not mainly used for concussion protection. There is no mouthguard in the world that can say that they help prevent concussions (that goes for helmets as well). As a matter of fact, the SISU with its nearly rock hard material may be the worst for concussion protection. Secondly, I am surprised by your continued support of SISU after suffering a chipped tooth while wearing it. No question, that if you did not have it in or any mouthguard in you could have suffered serious damage to your chicklets and possibly even bone damage. However the hard material of the SISU is one of the reason you got a chipped tooth in the first place, there is no give or cushion from the impact. Is it better than a boil and bite, no question. However a custom fitted guard made from a mold of your teeth formed from impact absorbing EVA material is still the best protection you can get. When crafted correctly, you can breath just as easy just as easy as a SISU, you can speak just as clearly as a SISU and you can hydrate while wearing it just as easy as a SISU. The difference is that it is made specifically for you and locks every tooth in a protective barrier.

There are tons of options out there for mouthguards and I guess you have to find the best for you. I still would suggest checking out www.impactmouthguards.com. The cost and quality of their guards top notch. Some of the athletes they craft guards for are: Pro Basketball players Seth Curry (Golden State Warriors) Rodney Stuckey (Detroit Pistons), UFC Fighters Daniel Cromier, Sara McMann, MSL Johnny Rodriguez, several Denver Outlaws players, Roller Derby- Demanda Riot along with half the Gotham Girls etc.

If you are looking for a new guard, do yourself a favor and check out Impact. Fully custom for $49. Find them on Instagram, Twitter and FB.

You're absolutely right about the fact that neither SISU nor any other mouth guard can truly protect a user from concussions. There is no conclusive research that supports that claim. However, what is supported by our research is that our rigid, perforated material allows for the force of an impact to dissipate across the teeth, protecting the point of impact from having to endure the bulk of the force. This is how the SISU Guard protects your teeth, although it may at first seem counterintuitive that it is hard rather than soft. However, the SISU Guard material creates one of the most secure, personalized fits on the market by molding to the exact shape of your mouth after being softened by warm water for a minute or two. We are so glad to hear that it did its job, pittu, and that you find it comfortable! That is what the thin design is all about - dissipating the force of impact and maximizing user comfort. Traditional EVA mouth guards are designed under a concept of cushioning, which means that in order to increase protection, you must increase the thickness of the material. This results in typically bulkier mouth guards that, despite being well-fitted, simply make it harder to talk, breathe and drink. We encourage you to try one of our guards to see the difference for yourself if you haven't yet!

We posted this blog about the mouthguard-concussion misconception a while back, and if you'd like something more on the scientific side, this one is a good read, too.

Howdy,

Necro-thread, but new guy and wanting to make sure I understand...

I wear a full cage and expect that to prevent teeth impact injuries.  I became interested in a mouth guard when I saw stuff about concussion prevention and that's my only concern.  I'm an old guy and long past the need to worry about "being cool" or whatever, so I figured I'd get a mouth guard because I'm already dumb enough and don't need help if I take header the wrong way.

Various things led me to the Sisu, and then I found this blog post... http://blog.sisuguard.com/what-do-mouth-guards-have-to-do-with-concussions

That seems pretty compelling from a "don't bother" perspective.

Am I missing anything?

Mark

11 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Necro-thread, but new guy and wanting to make sure I understand...

I wear a full cage and expect that to prevent teeth impact injuries.  I became interested in a mouth guard when I saw stuff about concussion prevention and that's my only concern.  I'm an old guy and long past the need to worry about "being cool" or whatever, so I figured I'd get a mouth guard because I'm already dumb enough and don't need help if I take header the wrong way.

Various things led me to the Sisu, and then I found this blog post... http://blog.sisuguard.com/what-do-mouth-guards-have-to-do-with-concussions

That seems pretty compelling from a "don't bother" perspective.

Am I missing anything?

Mark

Mouthguards do not prevent concussions. Anyone telling you otherwise is incorrect. There are other good reasons why you should wear one. Here in Quebec mouth guards are mandated from atom to junior, with goalies being the exception.

Howdy,

If you're wearing a cage, outside of concussion prevention (which seems to be just flat out not true) what good can a mouth guard do?

Mark

2 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

If you're wearing a cage, outside of concussion prevention (which seems to be just flat out not true) what good can a mouth guard do?

Mark

Prevent chipped teeth, prevent you from biting your tongue off, etc.

Ooh, zombie thread. I got a notification on it, since I've posted before. If you don't mind - I'll chime in. 

There are new promising studies that may show that a custom fit mouthguard may help diffuse some of the forces traveling to the brain, but otherwise concussion discussion is at a stand still. Players and coaches are focusing more on safety and not using the head as a battle ram. In hockey, unfortunately, not even the helmet can protect you from sustaining concussive impact from a head on collision or a bad fall. Any amount of impact can cause a concussion, as it's the event of the brain crashing into the side of your skull and causing internal bruising (or further damage). God forbid! 

However, safer play may be the answer there too... learning to fall better, shoulder tackles, etc.

In terms of mouthguards with the cage wear... Well, we could make an argument that even with a cage, dental injury is possible: impact from various angles, helmet being dislodged during play (or a fight!), stray puck in the mouth, etc... But, ultimately, it is up to you. If it is not mandated, you are not required to wear one. If dental safety has never been a concern, then you most likely have developed through out your career, the safe playing techniques that will allow you to continue playing without a guard. 

If you do consider a SISU for dental safety, we are happy to answer any questions you may have pertaining to our mouthguards. We are in a co-branding partnership with CCM as well, if their word carries some clout. You can check out their CCM/SISU guards at any hockey specialty store. I would also recommend reading our customer reviews on the sisu site. I don't want to get advertisy here, so please direct message me with any questions about SISU. 

As always, good to hang out here. It's been a little while since I had an opportunity to post and hope this is helpful. 

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

I was wearing a cage when my teeth were shattered. Wish I had my mouth guard on that day too. 

there will always be discussions on whether mouth guards can lessen concussions. logically my beliefs are that it can't if you think about what a concussion is. realistically though it's hard to argue with my own experiences. I started wearing a mouth guard 4 years ago. mostly because the owner of Impact Mouthguards is a friend of mine and he wanted to try out his new system on his buddies. since then I have taken some pretty good hits and have had no concussion symptoms whatsoever. possible it's just a coincidence but I'll take what I can get.