Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goblue9280

E600 versus E700 Helmet

I've read through the E700 teardown thread as well as the 2012 Easton catalog thread, however there doesn't seem to be much discussion about the E600 helmet. It looks like the only difference is in the helmet shell. They both use EPP foam and the same Giro fit system. So what are the major selling point of spending an extra $50 on the E700? Is the E700 significantly lighter that the E600... or is the E600 still pretty light compared to other brands?

Background: Looking for a new helmet for my son who will be moving up to squirt minor travel. He's had a Mission Intake for 3 years, and the gel pads are disgusting and the glue holding them is breaking down. So I like the removable/washable/replaceable pads of the E700/600. I also like that the E700 is the lightest helmet. At the younger ages the kids don't have the neck strength to protect them from impacts... so I'd prefer a lighter helmet for him.

Construction is very similar, but cages and visors will mount to a piece that mounts to the shell as opposed to directly into the shell/padding like the E700.

Sorry to be vague but I'm posting from my phone.

if you're looking for a new helmet, and he hasn't tried it on, forget the aspect of the removable liner. Try on everything and get what fits best. For the money though, the e600 is probably the best on the market, as the differences between that and the e700 are very minimal.

It is mainly just the shell. Its not quite as low profile as the 700 due to a slightly different construction and the shell is also slightly thicker/bigger and therefore slightly more weight.

Its still a light helmet though and has the same fitting system so is just as comfortable and fits just as well as the 700.

Its a great possibiltiy to get the feel and fit of the 700 while saving a few bucks.

For the money though, the e600 is probably the best on the market, as the differences between that and the e700 are very minimal.

Agreed, the changes will likely contribute to improved durability as well.

if you're looking for a new helmet, and he hasn't tried it on, forget the aspect of the removable liner.

Yeah, I know, I absolutely would do that, but my options are very limited for an LHS in Houston. There are two small rink based pro shops that carry a very limited supply of helmets (mostly low level: Bauer 4500, Easton S7, etc). I'd like to get him something a step up. I was planning on going back to Michigan this summer, and buying one there, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. So I'm probably just going to roll the dice and order online... and ship it back if it doesn't fit well.

FYI, I'm finding out the hard way that my E700 isn't the greatest helmet for warm rinks. The pads can't absorb enough sweat to keep it from running into my eyes by the second period.

I'd grab an extra set of pads or two then and change them out in between periods. It will be like putting a fresh helmet on each period and make the pads last longer as well. Its a big advantage of this helmet and a very cheap investment as well.

FYI, I'm finding out the hard way that my E700 isn't the greatest helmet for warm rinks. The pads can't absorb enough sweat to keep it from running into my eyes by the second period.

Has not been the case for me, I even have longer hair and i sweat less than i did in a 5100

Does anyone have the weight of the E600? Trying to make up my mind between the E700 and E600 but other then the 2 piece shell I can't find any differences.

Has not been the case for me, I even have longer hair and i sweat less than i did in a 5100

I get zero sweat in my eyes

Agree with all above :)

I get no sweat until half way through third period. Then, the critical mass is reached, and all at once i get a waterfall from the front pad.

BTW: replacement pads seem to be a bit thicker than the stock ones in the early release helmet. Hold sweat better.

For anyone interested I found out from easton that the E600 medium helmet is 480grams.

According to Totalhockey, Medium E600 is 1.10lbs (498g) and E700 is .78lbs (353g)...

Sorry to give an old thread a bump but I just picked up an E600 for this weekend where I played three games. I didn't technically "need" a new helmet but the foam on my old old s9 was getting a little hard (and in truth it never was super comfy). Anyway, there's this chain here in Canada called sportmart which is owned by the same company (crappy tire) which owns all other sports stores here in Canada. Anyway, they're closing it down to streamline their chains, and everything was 40% off. I only paid $71 for this thing. pretty tough to say no. This was the last one they had too. It was a medium (I've always been a large) so I was skeptical, but I tried it on and amazingly, it fit perfect. Proof positive that ordering stuff online can be a crap shoot.

Coming from my five year old s9, this helmet was a revelation! So, so comfortable and not to mention light! (which probably also partly what makes it comfortable, beyond the fit)

I know everyone's melon's is different, but for me, there is no pressure point anywhere and the pads, which are much thicker and more comfortable then the Gel pads found in other helmets, combined with the Giro lock system make this helmet both very nice feeling and also completely secure on my head. It did not move around on me at all.

In my three games I did not have any issue with sweat as one of the posters above has had. So, here's hoping that will continue.

The only hiccup I encountered was that my Bauer HLC half visor didn't really fit this helmet. The straps simply would not reach the button location on the E600 which is over an inch farther back then on the s9. So, that resulted in a trip back to the store. Unfortunately, at 40% off there were no visors left at Sportmart so I had to go to one of their "competitors" and pay full price. I got a Bauer HDO Pro Cut and it went on fairly easily and fits and looks great. The fact that I paid $10 more for a clear piece of plastic then I did for the helmet burns a little, but oh well, I needed a visor for the tournament. FWIW the visor also performed flawlessly. zero fogging. great clarity (far superior to the HLC).

So that, is a recommendation of the highest order, especially at that killer price.

Construction is very similar, but cages and visors will mount to a piece that mounts to the shell as opposed to directly into the shell/padding like the E700.

Sorry to be vague but I'm posting from my phone.

Sorry to bring back an old thread here guys but Chadd....

Do you think from a durability standpoint the E600 will have less issue with respect to mounting a cage? I've heard there are some long term issues on the E700 with cracking by the front two screws since its being mounted directly into the shell. I'm not a huge weight advocate as i'm coming from a 4500 so either of these would be an upgrade in that area. E600 probably the better option?

Yeah, from what they showed us, I think the E600 will be a significantly more durable product than the E700 in regards to cages and shield mounting points.

Sorry to revive this thread a third time, but I just got an E600 and like Kessel'sOversizedSuit, I'm coming from a large Bauer 4500.

Again, the medium helmet fits amazingly, but my Bauer FM4500 True Vision II large cage does not fit. It looks like it should fit, but the mounting points are a little curved outward on the cage whereas the screw "ports" on the helmet itself are completely flat. I'm not able to screw it onto the flat surface because each clip is curved in separate directions.

So my question is what non-Easton cages (I've heard the RE-AKT works but it's quite pricey) work for the E600? I'm not really a fan of Easton cages since I don't really like the sightlines, but if it's my best option I'll have to go for one. I was thinking the Reebok cages might work since they have the J-clips (I believe) that look flatter.

You could try to flatten out the curved endpoints on the cage, with a little gentle persuasion by hammer. Or you could try different mounting clips, your LHS should have a bunch of them somewhere.

Since this thread has emerged I'll hop in here with a question. I've been hunting for an e700 and I was going to mount the react cage for maximum lightness.

Is this a bad idea and will it cause premature cracking of the shell if I'm using a cage? I've heard of other people using the combo but this is the first ice heard of the mounting to an e700 could be an issue.