Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

default user

Boot problem

I've noticed a that a hole is starting to form in the inside of my left boot just past the tow box. Its right where the skid protection thing is or I should say was. I'm not sure how or when I do it but its from my skate sliding along the floor and it is starting to wear into to the boot itself. Wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's a way to fix it to at least "patch" it in some way so it doesn't get worse.

img0519dw.jpg

Just general epoxy, as your probably going to have to keep re-applying it.

Thats what I assumed. I figured its easier and cheaper to reapply some cheap epoxy then it is to have to get brand new skates.

If you like the skates, don't bother buying new ones, because the same thing will probably happen. What I was going for though, is don't break the bank with fancy epoxy, as your going to have to keep reapplying it.

Bumping up an old thread to see if there are any new reccomendations for this issue. I have been using a pair of Bauer X70R skates on outdoor surfaces and have seen some similar wear and damage as what OP posted above.

Otherwise I'll head out to the hardware store and look for some generic expoxy to put a patch down on the high wear areas.

Right:

Right_In_Far.jpg

Right_Out_Far.jpg

Right_In_Close.jpg

Left:

Left_In_Far.jpg

Left_Out_Far.jpg

Left_In_Close.jpg

Left_Out_Close.jpg

I had this type of issue with some Mission Boss blacks I had a few years ago. I used to work as a computer repair technician and got a blank plate (comes from a computer case and it's the metal covering that covers the slots where you would install external cards) and cut it so it was slightly larger than the size of the hole, bent it to fit the curve of the boot then used black stick tape to hold it in place. As the stick tape wore down, much like on the bottom of a stick, I just kept replacing it. Lasted me for years until I eventually retired the boots.

Any thin, light metal that you can cut and bend to shape should do. Using epoxy on the hole and then the plate over the top (so the epoxy holds the plate on) and then stick tape over the lot might be the best solution.

At our rink we've always just wrapped the skates in a few layers of hockey tape, does the trick although if you keep boot sliding you'll have to keep applying it.

Otherwise the only other thing is prevention just taking a few minutes sometime to brush up on keeping your feet together in hockey stops and not leaning over that and one foot "power slides" are the usual culprit.

I've done it to my boots too with half assed one foot "power slides" every so often but I'm to lazy to cover it. lol

for friction (from sport court or similar surface), I agree that any tape will do. however the picture looks more like abrasion than friction. I'm guessing he's playing on a rough surface. I don't think cloth tape will help much. the uhmw pe tape will help against tough abrasion.