Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phunky_monkey

Nexus 800 Skates - anyone have them yet?

I tried these on at the lhs. These felt horrible. The lowers felt like they had that number 8 shape just like the flexlites, and they were tight everywhere on my foot. The 1000 felt better and had more room compared to the 800. The totalones also feel like it has more room than the 800

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the 800 and 1000 would have the same fit profile, but it seems as though that's not the case. Can anyone else confirm?

Might have to wait for the 1000 in that case.

I tried on the 600 & 800. Both have way too much volume and width for my foot. To me the TO's felt lower volume than the both Nexus models.

I just bought the 800s. I tried them on along with the nxg. I found the 800s are nice and wide and are so far comfortable for me. I have yet to skate in them. I was previously wearing vapor xxv. The vapors were the wrong fit for me and hurt the outsides of my feet a lot. Obviously the nexus 800s are wider. I also went from a 6 1/2 to a 6. I like the tongue and the increased volume. Fit aside, I also like the look. I couldn't compare to the 1000s as they aren't out yet.

So is the Nexus a re-branded Flexlite? I had read they are lower cut than a Flexlite. For those comparing the Nexus to

TO's and Vapors, are those skates a D width?

I didn't actually wear the 800 myself, but I met a guy at the rink with one. He mentioned that it was much heavier than his previous skate, so for super light skates, NXG's and one.9 might fit the bill better. However, if you're looking for a wider, more comfortable fit, then NEXUS will definitely satisfy.

I just bought the 800s. I tried them on along with the nxg. I found the 800s are nice and wide and are so far comfortable for me. I have yet to skate in them. I was previously wearing vapor xxv. The vapors were the wrong fit for me and hurt the outsides of my feet a lot. Obviously the nexus 800s are wider. I also went from a 6 1/2 to a 6. I like the tongue and the increased volume. Fit aside, I also like the look. I couldn't compare to the 1000s as they aren't out yet.

Thanks for the info. Would love to hear some feedback once you've been for a skate in them.

Weight is not a major issue for me, I'm just after the best fit possible for my high-arches and wide forefoot.

The nexus is NOT a rebranded flexlite.

Sorry but I disagree. Same shell, new skin. As Chadd would say, this is marketing at it's best.

It doesnt seem to fit like the Flexlite did. It is deeper than Supreme and Vapor but does not seem as wide and the toe box does not seem nearly as wide as the Flexlite was.

As a matter of fact, my 7EE Total One is wider than the 7.5EE Nexus 800 I tried on.

Curious to try them. RBK is the only thing I've found that fits my feet well, so being able to check out a new option is always intriguing.

i tried the nexus 1000 skates at a bauer demo/tournament in mass, and I thought they felt pretty good. I was in a 9EE APX at the time and switched out to the nexus skates for a bit. noticed overall the boot felt much deeper and wider, and im sure i could've gone smaller (12 dress shoe, 9 skates usually). felt different to me than the flexlites for sure. I've actually been favoring the "softer" boots recently, having tried APX's, x60's, one100's, 11k's, and now of all skates, a pair of 1052 tacks from the year 2000. the tacks have much more flexibility and I find after all of the high end skates i've worn, the softer boots suit me better, even being a very big dude. Might give the nexus 1000 a shot next year.

I tried the nexus 800's and they were very comfortable and seemed like a quality skate but they were just a little too wide for me. Decided to go with the supreme one.9's instead. I'm coming from Graf G5's which were just a little on the narrow side.

I had a chance to try on a Nexus 600, here are my observations as compared to my One70 skates, same length - EE width.

Width. D width Nexus is about the same as a EE Supreme in the forefoot. The heel of the Nexus was narrower than the EE One70's and gave me better heel lock. I can't say for sure if the heel on the Nexus compares to a D width Supreme since it has been a while since I had a D width Supreme on my foot, but my recollection says it's a bit wider.

Depth. Maybe a bit more than my EE Supremes, but not a huge difference. I think if one is bursting out of a EE Supreme they won't find too much relief in the Nexus. Both the Nexus and Supreme EE came up to about the same place on my ankle.

Stiffness. The Nexus 600 was a softer boot than the One70. I still felt I'd get support from them, they were not flimsy by any means. I would guess they would not be quite as protective as a Supreme either.

Conclusion. It's been a while since I had Flexlites on my feet, but if I recall the Flexlite was a higher fitting skate. The Nexus seems to me to be for the most part a lower profile Flexlite. I would say the arch is very similar to the Supreme. The Flexlite may have had a slightly narrower heel as well, but again I go from memory.

Who might this fit? I would offer that it would work for someone who needs the EE width of a Supreme but would like a narrower heel (than a EE width Supreme) , and a more comfortable skate, This is definately a comfortable skate out of the box. I felt I could have easily skated in them without baking.

That's good feedback but again, the importance of trying them on comes up again from my own observations compared to yours: I would be someone who likes a EE forefoot width in a Supreme but needs a narrower ankle, who should probably fit into Nexus but I simply cannot. I feel that the midfoot is a bit narrow and the heel a bit too wide, wider than a Supreme haha. To each their own for sure.

So these Nexus Skates are just rebadged Flexlites?

I am getting conflicting info. They appear to be a bit deeper, especially across the instep. That is an area I could use help in.

I am guessing, and only guessing that the:

1000 is a rebadged 4.0 Pro

800 is a rebadged 4.0

etc.........

Is that correct? As I say they do look deeper, but is that just an illusion?

What makes me question it is Ice Warehouse says the 800 is the 4.0 pro, with the 600 being the 4.0, etc.

Who's right?

They aren't the same as flexlites, and the 4.0 pro is no where close to the quality of the 1000, or even the 800 in the matter. The thickness of the liner is greater in the 800 then the 4.0 pro. They are close comparisons, but not direct comparisons. There is no correlation from the 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 & 4.0 pro compared to the 1000, 800, 600, 400 and 200.

I have had the 800s ever since launch, and absolutely love them. BECAUSE THEY FIT ME THE BEST!!!

I had been running quite a bit recently (earlier in year) and caused my supremes to not have enough volume & not enough forefoot width. I tried on the One.9 & NXG in my size and I was failing the pencil test horribly. On these skates I fail the pencil test, but by maybe 1/32nd of an inch, I can barely notice it. I have been coming from top-end Supreme skates (my last 3 skates were One100s, One95s & One90s) and I loved all of those skates, except the One100 with the thicker tongue was causing some volume issues for me.

Those skates all have the highly stiff curv composite on them, and the slightly softer boot of the Nexus 800 has helped skating. I feel more agile in them. I have had no issues with anything, they were broke in within the first period. They are the deepest and widest skates out there, if you have thick fat feet, I would recommend these if you can't try on other skates.

Just curious, what does frequent running have to do with changing foot shapes?

Occasionally if someone doesn't run very frequently then they begin to run a lot their feet can swell up. Main causes are either the shoes or the stride of the runner. It goes away if you stick to it for a while.

I tried on Nexus 400s today. The guy at the store took one look at my feet and said "they arent going to fit you, your feet are too small". I was kind of dumbfounded. I fail the pencil test in RBK, how could my feet be too small for a wider skate like Nexus? I put a pair on, and they felt okay. Very nice looking skate, and they felt pretty good on my feet.

Then he had me try a supreme (hated them, felt like I wasnt able to get my heel all the way down to the footbed, or something. Not sure why. Then he had me try a Vapor. Fit okay, but the balls of my feet felt like they were being compressed, ike my whole forefoot was being squeezed. He said I'd be better off getting a skate that fits in the heel/ankle area and punching out the forefoot, than a skate thats bigger in the forefoot but also bigger everywhere else.

I'm really not sure what to make of all this. I think I may end up just sticking with my RBK 8K sz 9E and selling the 11Ks I have that are sz 9EE. They seem to fit great as long as I don't crank on the bottom laces.

Occasionally if someone doesn't run very frequently then they begin to run a lot their feet can swell up. Main causes are either the shoes or the stride of the runner. It goes away if you stick to it for a while.

Well crap, I'd prefer for my feet to not change again.