Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oggie Grip

Does anyone customize their stick grip?

Just looking to see if anyone on here is customizing their grip to the extent I see some players in the NHL and other professional leagues. I know all grip tape jobs are technically custom, but I'm looking to see if anyone is taking a bit more time, ie: shaving a wood plug, using layers of trainer tape to bulk the grip up, using different materials than the norm, etc.

If you take longer than 20 minutes to make your grip, then I would classify that as a custom grip.

Describe what you do, and pictures are always worth a thousand words!

I'm kind of surprised that only one person out of this whole forum customizes their grip, or maybe it's just that some people don't want to engage any discussion with the Oggie guy (I don't usually bite, except when I get overly hungry). In either case, this is one of the main reasons why we established our company in the first place. To provide customization to one of the most sacred areas of hockey (imo), the grip.

Mack, what is the reason why you shave the handle down?

Just checked that one out Chadd. Most of those grips described are the "standard issue" tape jobs.

I'm asking about anyone that makes a grip that takes more time. Does anybody on here take the time to customize?

Some of the things I've seen is shaving the endplugs down to almost a spear and taping over. I've also seen a few guys shaving the composite sticks! Thinning out the stick wall out quite a bit in the grip area so it matches their shaved endplug.

I'll bite. I will file down the end of my shaft to round off the edges a bit. If I have wood plug, I will round down the edges of that a bit as well. When I say edges, I'm referring strictly to the back edge of the shaft, where it is open. I do this because I hold the end of the stick in center of the palm, and prefer a less sharp edge. As for taping, I use tennis racket wrap exclusively. I only use a single layer, and wrap only as far as my hand goes down the stick, say 4" or so.

I used to really like the wheel barrow handle that Bauer had on their Vapor sticks, but can't find anything like that anymore.

I've got my custom tiny-tape-knob-and-sticky-roll down to almost muscle memory. I can tape up the end of a stick with the sticky roll spiraling right in between my first three fingers perfectly just by sight in about 5 minutes.

Not that I burn through sticks by any means... I just re-tape fairly often.

I wrap powerflex grip tape around the top 4-5 inches or so., use about 3/4 of the roll...then apply a little hairspray over that, then slide a tackimac sand grip over the powerflex tape. I cut off the "ring" on the top inch or so of the tackimac. I like a thicker knob, and the powerflex gives it the bulk without the weight of standard tape.

Justin, what brand tennis tape do you use? Does it stick really well without having to use hockey tape to hold it down on the top and bottom? I bought some Renfrew stuff that looked like tennis tape a few weeks ago for my grip but when I went to wrap it, it wouldnt stick at all and was a total mess, After taping top and bottom with hockey tape to hold it in place, I finally just ripped it off and reapplied hockey tape. Still interested in that cloth stuff, hoping the stuff I tried was just junk.

Thanks

Just checked that one out Chadd. Most of those grips described are the "standard issue" tape jobs.

I'm asking about anyone that makes a grip that takes more time. Does anybody on here take the time to customize?

Some of the things I've seen is shaving the endplugs down to almost a spear and taping over. I've also seen a few guys shaving the composite sticks! Thinning out the stick wall out quite a bit in the grip area so it matches their shaved endplug.

Maybe not that many folks do what you're asking about. Also, it may a little time, as many of us can go days, even weeks, before we start jonesing, and have to check back in here.

Maybe not that many folks do what you're asking about. Also, it may a little time, as many of us can go days, even weeks, before we start jonesing, and have to check back in here.

We always come back don't we!

i have roughly a 3/8th in wide knob at the top of the stick,

- i then tape down the shaft about a foot with white tape

- i cover the white tape with colored grip tape

- i then take a tape roll, split it in half, and use half to tape the bottom of the grip tape so it doesnt unwind

- i then write my number on the front and my initials on the back

I spend quite a bit of time getting my plug and grip the way I like. I use about a 2" wood plug, shave it down so that its an oval shape (tapering it down) then drill hole down the middle and add lead sinkers for balance. Then a takimac grip over top and heat it up so it molds to the shape of my handle. Then I add a 1/4" tape to the end to plug and cover that with electrical tape for wear. It takes some time to do, but it feels great and I can transfer them to other sticks once they're done.

I spend quite a bit of time getting my plug and grip the way I like. I use about a 2" wood plug, shave it down so that its an oval shape (tapering it down) then drill hole down the middle and add lead sinkers for balance. Then a takimac grip over top and heat it up so it molds to the shape of my handle. Then I add a 1/4" tape to the end to plug and cover that with electrical tape for wear. It takes some time to do, but it feels great and I can transfer them to other sticks once they're done.

Seems like it takes quite a bit of time. How long does it take you from start to finish?

Oggie, if you made a grip that was completely oval shaped with a half inch rubber coated butt end you would have my undying support.

Oggie, if you made a grip that was completely oval shaped with a half inch rubber coated butt end you would have my undying support.

We just happen to have a that very same pattern already in both our curved and straight grip patterns. A couple of the guys tried the oval shaped curved pattern at SJ.

Seems like it takes quite a bit of time. How long does it take you from start to finish?

It probably takes me around a full hour to get it just right (shape, weight, taped and get the grip on). It's takes a while, but it works well for me. Here's the finished product

IMG_20120919_233944_zpsb56bab07.jpg

Oggie- Do you still have plans to bring your Pro-stock program available at retail customers? I would be on board to find a way to get my exact style plug, which doesn't take me an hour to do!

ompany in the first place. To provide customization to one of the most sacred areas of hockey (imo), the grip.

Mack, what is the reason why you shave the handle down?

I was around 10, watching a Devils game and saw his grip. It struck me as odd but I wanted to try it so I asked a guy who owned a hockey store to try and replicate it for me. It's just stuck ever since.

When will they be available?

We have been making our pro-stock grips for almost two years now mostly professional player use, with a small handful sold and given away to the public. We're just in the process to make them more quickly all while boosting the quality as well as performance. For a lot of people it doesn't seem to matter where a product is made, but our grips are made right in our Millbury Massachusetts facility in the USA. And with the USA labor cost being more than China or Mexico, we're giving it our best to try and compete with foreign markets.

So the answer is: "coming soon"

I actually customize my Oggie Grips, which I'd guess you might remember.

I take an ergo grip, cut the rubber around the top part of the handle down to the underlying structure and then wrap the whole thing in Powerflex.

Yes,

First layer is friction tape cut in half to create the knob. I about 1/4 inch thick around the shaft.

I then continue with the friction tape and go down about 4" down the shaft to create the grip.

I can either use just one thread or double it up for a bit thicker grip.

Once I have the friction tape in place, I grab Medical Adhesive (spongey elastic) to wrap the entire friction tape. This creates a softer feel that is not too hard on the palms.

I then layer the whole grip with hockey tape, covering up the medical adhesive.

Once I'm done with all of that, I will use shin guard tape and again cover up the entire grip.

Not only does using shin guard tape keep your palms from getting torn up, it actually creates a smoother grip with releases (snap shots/wristers).

I know that may sound thick, but it isn't at all.

All in all, it takes 25-30 min to create each setup.

If you look at the pic below you can see how the red, black, and green taped sticks all follow this setup.

562711_10152002893225551_1095270327_n.jpg

We just happen to have a that very same pattern already in both our curved and straight grip patterns. A couple of the guys tried the oval shaped curved pattern at SJ.

Are the straight ones available for sale?

Doesn't quite take me 20 minutes, but I'll cut my stick 1" short, throw in a 1" wood end plug, then thrown on a tacki mac (the Patrick Kane model). The Kane tacki mac is pretty bulky, but I like it. As for the end plug I just like the feel of it, maybe it's in my head but the stick feels more solid with an end plug in there. Also moves the balance point of the stick a touch towards the butt end, I don't like blade heavy sticks.