Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oggie Grip

Does anyone customize their stick grip?

I actually customize my Oggie Grips, which I'd guess you might remember.

I take an ergo grip, cut the rubber around the top part of the handle down to the underlying structure and then wrap the whole thing in Powerflex.

That has become a very popular mod around here for players that don't have access to the pro-stock Oggie Grips.

Yes,

First layer is friction tape cut in half to create the knob. I about 1/4 inch thick around the shaft.

I then continue with the friction tape and go down about 4" down the shaft to create the grip.

I can either use just one thread or double it up for a bit thicker grip.

Once I have the friction tape in place, I grab Medical Adhesive (spongey elastic) to wrap the entire friction tape. This creates a softer feel that is not too hard on the palms.

I then layer the whole grip with hockey tape, covering up the medical adhesive.

Once I'm done with all of that, I will use shin guard tape and again cover up the entire grip.

Not only does using shin guard tape keep your palms from getting torn up, it actually creates a smoother grip with releases (snap shots/wristers).

I know that may sound thick, but it isn't at all.

All in all, it takes 25-30 min to create each setup.

If you look at the pic below you can see how the red, black, and green taped sticks all follow this setup.

562711_10152002893225551_1095270327_n.jpg

not to shabby but my personal preference is that i cant stand the feeling of sock tape on my grips, gloves be damned. my current pair has lasted me over 3 years and they are now finally ready to be replaced

It probably takes me around a full hour to get it just right (shape, weight, taped and get the grip on). It's takes a while, but it works well for me. Here's the finished product

IMG_20120919_233944_zpsb56bab07.jpg

Oggie- Do you still have plans to bring your Pro-stock program available at retail customers? I would be on board to find a way to get my exact style plug, which doesn't take me an hour to do!

We have always wanted to bring the custom program to retail customers. If we were to make a custom grip for you in the future, would you want it exactly the way the picture shows or would you rather the handle shaved all the way down the entire length of the grip?

I actually was using a grip that tapered down with no knob for a while. The nice thing about using a tapered grip is the its natural to slide your pinky finger off the end which give you more range of motion on poke checks, the down side of that (and the reason I added a knob) was that it leaves your wrist in a vulnerable position to get over extended and injured. Since adding a knob I haven't hurt my wrist and I still get great control from my grip with only slightly less range of motion.

Oggie- is there any way to build your custom grips to a certain weight? Balance is extremely important to me so I often add lead sinkers to my grips (have done this with oggies too).

Oggie- is there any way to build your custom grips to a certain weight? Balance is extremely important to me so I often add lead sinkers to my grips (have done this with oggies too).

Absolutely. You just have to let us know the weight you would like to add, and we add it to the grip. However, the weights are not removable. They are cast right into the rubber so they stay put.

Joe

Just looking to see if anyone on here is customizing their grip to the extent I see some players in the NHL and other professional leagues. I know all grip tape jobs are technically custom, but I'm looking to see if anyone is taking a bit more time, ie: shaving a wood plug, using layers of trainer tape to bulk the grip up, using different materials than the norm, etc.

If you take longer than 20 minutes to make your grip, then I would classify that as a custom grip.

Describe what you do, and pictures are always worth a thousand words!

i just ordered my oggie pre wrap sticky foam grip. cant wait to get it! cool products!!!

I use a pretty small grip that doesn't extend much farther than the placement of my top hand, so I probably cover only 3 inches on the top of the stick. The first thing I do is spindle renfrew tape and wind it down the length of my grip the way that most people do to make a "crosby" style grip. It looks like a shorter version of the "kane" tacki-mac, so I only have three stripes of grip. Then I tear a roll of renfrew tape down the middle and tape a small knob around the top, maybe like 15 times around I think. Then I tape once down the length of the grip with renfrew hockey tape. Then I go down the entire grip one time with renfrew grip hockey tape or something similar to a gauze tape. Then I put electical tape around the bottom part of the girp tape to hold it on the stick.

I can't really find a good gauze tape that doesn't require retaping after about 5 or 6 uses. I don't know if anybody else has a really good grip tape that doesn't wear down as quickly as the renfrew grip tape but if you do, I'd love to know about it.

I can't really find a good gauze tape that doesn't require retaping after about 5 or 6 uses. I don't know if anybody else has a really good grip tape that doesn't wear down as quickly as the renfrew grip tape but if you do, I'd love to know about it.

I haven't tried this yet, but I am planning to try spraying a few layers of clear coat on top of my gauze tape. should help, i think. worst case, it can't really hurt.

I don't mind having to re wrap the gauze tape so often because it takes like 30 seconds. I've used the same grip for like 6 months and just replace the gauze.

I've yet to customize my grip to being thick enough for my palm to hold it nice and snug. But also not too big so that it is too big and sticky so it impairs my stickhandling skills. For now I like to put a few circles at the top to keep it from sliding out of my palm!

6" Tapered Warrior comp butt end .... Single layer of cloth tape to hold my custom Powerflex tape job in place...

A handle that is tapered naturally fits a human hand better .... Which makes it easier to control ... And my custom job tries to convey that ... Will try and get up pics soon.

Mine is similar to Flash'. Have an hour glass shape at the end of the stick, like the bottom of a beer glass which is where the inspiration came from.

Regarding Tacki Mac: I'm currently using the Ribbed Wrapped Command grip but it's way too thick and knocks off the entire balance of my

Stick.

What is thinner and is it lighter, the sand grips or the Patrick Kane Tacki Macs?

I have really abnormally small hands

Kane is definitely the thinnest they make. But has no knob.

I see. I notice you said you use gauze a couple posts up, did you ever find one that works for you? I was thinking either Kane, Sand, or regular tape job with Howies stretchy grip. Small knob with a spiral 4 inches down. One layer of tape and one layer of grip.

I'm just not feeling the puck with that thick Ribbed grip but I also don't want to ruin my AX1 gloves. Ahh

Tennis racket grip tape. Stays grippy when gloves are wet.

I use Tennis Raquet overgrip, much cheaper / thinner and doesn't put any wear and tear on your gloves.

I have converted 5 other people at my local rink to do the same thing. When you pay $6 for a roll of stick tape in Australia $1 for a tennis overgip which doesn't wear your gloves is a steal.

I use Tennis Raquet overgrip, much cheaper / thinner and doesn't put any wear and tear on your gloves.

I have converted 5 other people at my local rink to do the same thing. When you pay $6 for a roll of stick tape in Australia $1 for a tennis overgip which doesn't wear your gloves is a steal.

I've switched to tennis grips as well. I definitely like it better than gauze tape, stretch tape, Tacki Macs, or anything else I've used in the past. Doesn't wear my gloves at all.

I've switched to tennis grips as well. I definitely like it better than gauze tape, stretch tape, Tacki Macs, or anything else I've used in the past. Doesn't wear my gloves at all.

How do you guys wrap it? Do you use hockey tape as well and do you use the overgrip when you're making your knob?

How do you guys wrap it? Do you use hockey tape as well and do you use the overgrip when you're making your knob?

I make a knob with cloth hockey tape then just wrap the tennis grip down the shaft and use some shinguard or electrical tape at the bottom to make sure it doesn't come undone.