Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Just tried on my new mako 1s. Less volume than my vapor X:60's

Anyone had long term trouble with the boot being so low volume?

Nope. My feet look like cooked sausages bulging out of the casing in mine and no issues.

Just tried on my new mako 1s. Less volume than my vapor X:60's

Anyone had long term trouble with the boot being so low volume?

Same here- I am bulging through the casing for about 4 eyelets around the middle, no problems though.

been a while since i've posted here. I love my mako skates. Still the best skates i've ever owned. i haven't checked on how the brand is doing or what's up for the next model. if anyone wants to give me a quick update that'd be great.

Have been wearing my Mako's (originals) for around 1.5 years of weekly use and still love them!

I've had zero durability issues personally and still feel like they give plenty of support and the best agility I've ever had in a skate.

I will say that as time has gone on, some of that great "feel" while skating has diminished slightly, and I'm guessing it has something to do with sharpenings affecting the profile or something (not that knowledgeable on blades beyond my preferred hollow). I've been thinking of getting a fresh set of steel to see if that gives me back the same feel I had early on (plus wouldn't mind just having a spare) but seems the size 7 runners are damn hard to find. Seem sold out at almost every online location I look (finally did find it at one shop).

Remember reading in the latest Easton catalog thread that a new model is coming out next year, can't wait to see it and maybe grab that (or a Mako 2 on clearance!).

Thanks, I thought I might, but not sure what profile I'd need to get back to the default CXN one, I'll search the forums as I remember seeing something about it.

Hopefully, the proshop here in Tampa can do it for me (pretty sure they can, more about whether I can ask for the right things lol).

Edited by Vuronov

I don't know if this helps but I have been wearing the Mako 2 for almost a year and worked at a pro shop for over a year. In my experience a lot of people with wide feet have found great success by going up a half a size for the mako line myself included. Personally The D to E measurement doesn't do very much. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I thought I might, but not sure what profile I'd need to get back to the default CXN one, I'll search the forums as I remember seeing something about it.

Hopefully, the proshop here in Tampa can do it for me (pretty sure they can, more about whether I can ask for the right things lol).

new mako 2 steel is pretty cheap compared to Bauer. I got mine from hockeymonkey - they didnt offer just the steel in my size, but I got the runner + holder for 60 (maybe less with coupon), which isnt too bad, plus I got an extra set of holders with it. Compared to Bauer which would be 140 for runner and holder (or 70 just for ls3 steel).

IMO its a better option than a re-profile. How much does a profile cost compared to a new set of steel? Seems like a no-brainer to me as long as you like the stock profile.

I don't know if this helps but I have been wearing the Mako 2 for almost a year and worked at a pro shop for over a year. In my experience a lot of people with wide feet have found great success by going up a half a size for the mako line myself included. Personally The D to E measurement doesn't do very much. Hope that helps.

Uh...common sense says this is a horrible idea.

So has anyone else had problems with protection with these? Im a winger, and have taken a few shots trying to cover my d-man, and they definitely hurt way more than when I was wearing my Vapors. Just took one tonight thats pretty swollen:

RCeRoHE.jpg

Besides that and occasionally wanting to try out a tuuk again, I love these skates, so its definitely not enough to make me wanna switch, but I am starting to consider getting either a skate fender, or shot blocker.

Anyone have any experience with either? My only concern is mobility, or them touching each other while turning. My skates are pretty much all blacked out, so I doubt that it would even look that bad. Is it something a lot of people use? Thinking back I cant recall seeing anyone else wear them in my leagues, or even at pickup.

Like I said its not a huge problem, and im not a fan of using unnecessary stuff, but I have been running almost every day this summer, and now this swollen foot is gonna put me out of commission for a couple of days :(

Only drawbacks of the Mako skates IMHO has always been energy return, protection, and durability. The latter has been taken out of the equation from all reports. I suggest shot blockers.

Only drawbacks of the Mako skates IMHO has always been energy return, protection, and durability. The latter has been taken out of the equation from all reports. I suggest shot blockers.

Ordered some skate fenders yesterday, wont be in for my next game though, so praying I dont get hit in the same spot again. From spot where I got hit to the tip of my big toe is still numb and tingly in some spots. Starting to get black and blue under my foot and around the bruise.

Thinking back, since Ive been playing all my most pain in the ass injuries came from taking shots off the boot (even before wearing makos), so im kinda excited to wear the fenders. Hopefully it doesnt make me look too bad out there, but if it means being able to walk/run after blocking shots im choosing looking like a dork over being hurt.

Can you explain what you mean by energy return?

Other boots are stiff for protection and energy return and as far as I know most other boots are taller for this reason.

So that when you bend into them they snap themselves back out essentially giving you quicker feet. I wrote a review on the OG Mako's I demo'd in this thread I think with a lot more detail

That's the beauty of the Makos though, they're stiff where you want them to be and flex where you need it, as opposed to the ski boot stiffness other skates have.

So has anyone else had problems with protection with these? Im a winger, and have taken a few shots trying to cover my d-man, and they definitely hurt way more than when I was wearing my Vapors. Just took one tonight thats pretty swollen:

RCeRoHE.jpg

Besides that and occasionally wanting to try out a tuuk again, I love these skates, so its definitely not enough to make me wanna switch, but I am starting to consider getting either a skate fender, or shot blocker.

Anyone have any experience with either? My only concern is mobility, or them touching each other while turning. My skates are pretty much all blacked out, so I doubt that it would even look that bad. Is it something a lot of people use? Thinking back I cant recall seeing anyone else wear them in my leagues, or even at pickup.

Like I said its not a huge problem, and im not a fan of using unnecessary stuff, but I have been running almost every day this summer, and now this swollen foot is gonna put me out of commission for a couple of days :(

I wear the SkateFenders Full Pro, with my Makos. I play wing too, and as I closed in on a forecheck and veered away from the D man, he fired a light saucer pass off the tendon guard bolt that left me with a knot that looked like a second ankle next to my real ankle, for a month or two. I took a light saucer pass off the middle of my instep too (earlier, on a different day), and it did not feel nice, but no damage was sustained. So, SkateFenders have been worn since the pass off the bolt. I do not love the Fenders- they seem to feel clunky compared to how I think the ShotBlockers would feel, but they are less expensive and more thorough in coverage than the ShotBlockers, so I am just sticking with them until maybe SkateFenders 2.0 launch.

I seem to always be taking saucer passes off the insides of my feet/ legs. The most recent one left a softball sized bruise on my inner calf that last about 10 days. No big deal, I did not even feel that one, just noticed it after and I know what play it had to have happened on. Point is, the feet are rather important for us to be able to get around, and it would seem that one would be inclined to want to protect them.

I wear the SkateFenders Full Pro, with my Makos. I play wing too, and as I closed in on a forecheck and veered away from the D man, he fired a light saucer pass off the tendon guard bolt that left me with a knot that looked like a second ankle next to my real ankle, for a month or two. I took a light saucer pass off the middle of my instep too (earlier, on a different day), and it did not feel nice, but no damage was sustained. So, SkateFenders have been worn since the pass off the bolt. I do not love the Fenders- they seem to feel clunky compared to how I think the ShotBlockers would feel, but they are less expensive and more thorough in coverage than the ShotBlockers, so I am just sticking with them until maybe SkateFenders 2.0 launch.

I seem to always be taking saucer passes off the insides of my feet/ legs. The most recent one left a softball sized bruise on my inner calf that last about 10 days. No big deal, I did not even feel that one, just noticed it after and I know what play it had to have happened on. Point is, the feet are rather important for us to be able to get around, and it would seem that one would be inclined to want to protect them.

Im considering ordering the blockers and returning the fenders since seeing that they are custom fitted to your skates. Do you have any info on skatefenders 2.0 or just speculating?

If I decide to eventually go back to less protection, just keeping this would solve 90% of my shot blocking problems:

39_shotblockers_xt_shorty_2_14_11_2013_2

I block a lot of shots off my shins and sometimes foot, so if I decide I hate wearing the full foot protection, or even if I decide to switch to vh customs or some other skate, I can still use this.

I was completely speculating about SkateFenders 2.0. I do not have a clue as to their future plans; I am just keeping an eye out to see if they improve on the design.

I'm looking to buy a pair of Mako I's or II's (maybe the m8).

I have seen some say they had to go down in half a size from their previous skate for these to fit properly while I've seen others say they fit into the same size as their previous skate. Just wondering what the general consensus is.

I would go to my LHS to try these on, however they do not carry Easton products.

Thanks in advance!

I was completely speculating about SkateFenders 2.0. I do not have a clue as to their future plans; I am just keeping an eye out to see if they improve on the design.

Ah i see. Pretty sure im gonna return my fenders and go with the blockers for now - they will be custom molded for makos, and hopefully will be a little less noticeable.

I'm looking to buy a pair of Mako I's or II's (maybe the m8).

I have seen some say they had to go down in half a size from their previous skate for these to fit properly while I've seen others say they fit into the same size as their previous skate. Just wondering what the general consensus is.

I would go to my LHS to try these on, however they do not carry Easton products.

Thanks in advance!

I have had the mako 1, mako 2 and m8. Sizing for me was exactly the same for all. The mako 2 and m8 have more padding and a thicker tongue, which might make them seem a little smaller at first, but once theyre baked and broken in they are the exact same size.

I would get whichever you can get the best deal on (m2 or m8). The m8 is pretty much identical to my mako 2. The mako 1 had some durability problems, and is known to tear up some ankles with the side rubbing. I paid 350 on ebay for brand new m8's, so look around for deals.

Also I am not sure if easton still offers a testing period. Basically as long as you buy it from a certified dealer, you can return them in the first 30-60 days if you dont love them. Not sure if this promotion is still around - but if your not sure about the skates then this would be a good idea for you.

Ah i see. Pretty sure im gonna return my fenders and go with the blockers for now - they will be custom molded for makos, and hopefully will be a little less noticeable.

I have had the mako 1, mako 2 and m8. Sizing for me was exactly the same for all. The mako 2 and m8 have more padding and a thicker tongue, which might make them seem a little smaller at first, but once theyre baked and broken in they are the exact same size.

I would get whichever you can get the best deal on (m2 or m8). The m8 is pretty much identical to my mako 2. The mako 1 had some durability problems, and is known to tear up some ankles with the side rubbing. I paid 350 on ebay for brand new m8's, so look around for deals.

Also I am not sure if easton still offers a testing period. Basically as long as you buy it from a certified dealer, you can return them in the first 30-60 days if you dont love them. Not sure if this promotion is still around - but if your not sure about the skates then this would be a good idea for you.

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear!

My skates now are Bauer Vapors 20's and I've read that from how well the Mako's mold to your feet, that I may have to go a half a size lower from my previous skate. BUT I have also heard some say when they switched brands they kept the same size skate.

Edited by LW_C_RW

Mako M7 skate looks identical to Mako 2 and 8 also, moldwise- I think the difference is more fiberglass in the composite, so it is slighly heavier. Aside from that tho, at $400, and hopefully with it going on clearance soon since I heard that Easton is launching new lines of skates, this could be a potentially great deal in 6-9 months.

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear!

My skates now are Bauer Vapors 20's and I've read that from how well the Mako's mold to your feet, that I may have to go a half a size lower from my previous skate. BUT I have also heard some say when they switched brands they kept the same size skate.

Sorry, but there's no simpler answer to your question. I came from Supreme Tones and went down a half size in length and from E to D. They are so moldable, it is very difficult to know how they will fit without actually trying them on and baking them. If there is no possible way to try them on, I would suggest first trying to find a mail order that will accept them on return if not sharpened. They are made to bake several times, so, you should be able to bake them yourself and see how they fit. If they don't fit, don't sharpen them and send back.