Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Well I tried my first game without my neoprene sleeve on my ankle in probably a year. No luck, still mako bumps. Oh well, I'll just keep wearing the sleeve I guess. It's no hassle, I just wanted to try.

This... I really wanted to love the Mako skates. They were the best fitting/feeling boot that I have put on my feet. However, when it came down to it, there just was not enough support around my ankles. My feet were coming out from under me on turns and cuts that I normally had no problems with. The final straw, for me, came when I made a turn next to the wall and my feet were just gone. I fell, blade of my stick was against the boards, butt end almost impaled me, stick exploded into three pieces (Thank goodness). I had a bruise on my ribs the next day that lasted almost two weeks. Those skates got sold a few days later.

Joey, any possibility that your skates weren't sharpen properly when you had problems with your Makos? I wouldn't necessarily blame your Makos right away causing your falls while turning. It might have been a bad edge.

Edited by SpideyDiG

Well, if you have ankle issues, the Mako may not be the skate for you. It is pretty easy to cut off the circulation with these skates because of the excellent wrap. So, the key is to tie them looser. Since you seem to want to tie tight for ankle stability, you should tie the lower eyelets loose, then tighten the top two. I just got a new pair of Mako IIs to replace my originals and with the new bake, the first time I wore them, my feet went numb in about 10 min. I loosened them up on the bench and it was better. The next time I went looser and they were fine. They'll likely open up a bit over time so that it will be less of an issue, but the Makos are definitely more finicky to get right (at least for me) and that's what's great about them. You can fine tune them to perfection. Just need to be able to remember how you got it right.

Still, the ankle is low on the Mako and they may just not work for you.

I do not mean to troll, but I have had the opposite experience. Traditional skates cut off circulation in my feet because I need to really cinch them up. With Makos, since the wrap does all of the work to keep my feet stable in the boot, I can go loose. I went to an Easton Ranger Camp run by Dave Cruikshank, and he showed up how loose he does his top eyelet. You could have fit 3 fingers between the opening in the laces, and the boot itself, it was so loose. He said he wanted to do some crazy stuff with the top of the boot to better allow forward flex, but the company and he figured it would alienate more players than they have already (with the loose ankles, odd colors, etc.), so they just kept it traditional enough at the top. When I lace, I go loose at bottom, mid tightness around 3rd-4th eyelet, loose again, mid tightness at 6th eyelet (to get heel lock), then real loose the rest of the way. I just have to use my muscles around my ankles on turns to stay balanced, but that is fine I suppose.

Well I tried my first game without my neoprene sleeve on my ankle in probably a year. No luck, still mako bumps. Oh well, I'll just keep wearing the sleeve I guess. It's no hassle, I just wanted to try.

I had same experience. I did not mean or want to try, I just forgot my sleeves, and paid the price.

having difficulties with my Mako 2's and I might be selling them soon. I'm having issues with the wrap and circulation in my feet, I had them fitted all seemed well but I was having an issues with numbness when skating. when I crank them down to feel the support I need I lose circulation when I keep them loose I feel like they are too loose and have actually tweaked my ankle twice (which I've never done in any other skate) trying to figure out if I'm used to a stiffer skate (total ones, and APX) and the softer boot it just making me feel unstable. I missed the 30 day return policy by a couple days, waiting to hear back from a rep hoping he can help me out.

The sides of the skate are extremely stiff and offer a lot of support. Just because you can squeeze them without your foot in them, doesn't mean they aren't stiff. The design is to allow forward movement and that is what allows you to squeeze the ankle. It really sounds like you were not fitted correctly as they should be molded completely to your foot. When a boot is molded to your foot with zero negative space, there is no movement and there is no "loose" feeling, no matter how tight the laces are.

• Like 1

Joey, any possibility that your skates weren't sharpen properly when you had problems with your Makos? I wouldn't necessarily blame your Makos right away causing your falls while turning. It might have been a bad edge.

I loved the boot, honestly, fit like a dream. But, I have a very good group of guys that sharpen my skates for me and it definitely was not the sharpening. I just do not have enough ankle strength or skating wherewithal to make these things work for me. It broke my heart to sell them. But, I feel more confident in my APX, meaning I skate better and play better in them. I wanted the Makos to work, I just could not perform in them to my liking.

Did you consider swapping the holders out for something more neutral?

I had TUUKS installed on them after I struggled with the stock holders. Believe me... I tried everything I could to make them work.

Edited by JoeyJ0506

I pulled the trigger and returned the skates tonight. I really wanted them to work, actually really loved the CXN holders and pitch just the issues with the fit around my ankle made me feel less confident. I picked up x100's because I wasn't digging the lacing system on the APX2, the extra money I saved I put it toward a new bucket. I'm sure my Mako experiment isn't done but for now it is.

I love my Mako's but they are falling apart after 30 games of mens league. Took a shot off of the toe and the internal carbon imploded into my toe. Also the rear carbon has just broke down.

On the good side, Easton is replacing them. I am hoping its with the Mako 2's.

I hope they figure this out because are by far the best fitting skate I have ever worn.

I love my Mako's but they are falling apart after 30 games of mens league. Took a shot off of the toe and the internal carbon imploded into my toe. Also the rear carbon has just broke down.

On the good side, Easton is replacing them. I am hoping its with the Mako 2's.

I hope they figure this out because are by far the best fitting skate I have ever worn.

Same Here. Long story short, I was originally suppose to RA (even have the RA#) these to Easton earlier this year but a bunch of things happened and now I'm 2/3 months over the 1 year warranty period. I pleaded my case over with Easton but to no avail.

How long did you have yours? And your goddamn lucky. Had one of the boot tongue ripped out. Had to replace the rivets not once but twice (now over 70% of the rivets are loose).And it looks like the carbon fiber where the boot meets the holder is disintegrating (one of the boots). And to add further insult to injury, I just went today to get them sharpened and two hockey stores said they would not touch it due to liability reasons (fair enough).

I play around 2/3 times a week. Always took care of these boots, hung them upside down, took the insoles out, played with socks, etc.. etc... Didn't leave them out in the sun or let them fester in my hockey bag.

New holders/steel plus installation is gonna run me around $200 (Tuuks LS2).

Edited by LobstaLOL

I played some pickup last night and had a problem with my Mako 2's. I just got them sharpened with a FBV and I liked how they turned and glided. The problem started when I was skating hard and then coasting. Not sure if it was just only happening with coasting but my left skate was doing a speed wobble when coasting. I think it might be happening on my stride too when going fast, but not sure. So I thought at first it must be my skate, not the sharpening. But last time I used the skate it was fine and it was sharpening by a different person in a different LHS. So what do you guys think is causing this? I thought it might be the skates, meaning I didn't tie them tight enough, but I did as I really like them tight.

I'm getting frustrated with these skates with all the problems. I do still like them cause I feel super comfortable out there. I might have to sell them if I can't figured what is wrong and get them dialed in. Like I said before that I have a 2nd pair of them and will try them on Friday.

So any help or suggestions what is causing this would be very much appreciated. Thx

Edited by SpideyDiG

I bought mine at the end of January and I just glad they broke when they did and not in the middle of the season. I told myself I would never buy Easton skates again after my 1200C's fell apart, but the Makos fit to well not to try them.

I have summer playoffs tomorrow and will have to put on the old G3 Grafs.....those are still my fav, but feel like led boots compared to the Mako's.

Only issue I had with mako 1 was the tongue wore out on the outside causing some rubbing on my leg. Skates held up fine over a year 2-4 days a week skating. Still have then as a back up to the mako 2's. Never had the wobble in these but did in my vapor 4.0's.

I played some pickup last night and had a problem with my Mako 2's. I just got them sharpened with a FBV and I liked how they turned and glided. The problem started when I was skating hard and then coasting. Not sure if it was just only happening with coasting but my left skate was doing a speed wobble when coasting. I think it might be happening on my stride too when going fast, but not sure. So I thought at first it must be my skate, not the sharpening. But last time I used the skate it was fine and it was sharpening by a different person in a different LHS. So what do you guys think is causing this? I thought it might be the skates, meaning I didn't tie them tight enough, but I did as I really like them tight.

I'm getting frustrated with these skates with all the problems. I do still like them cause I feel super comfortable out there. I might have to sell them if I can't figured what is wrong and get them dialed in. Like I said before that I have a 2nd pair of them and will try them on Friday.

So any help or suggestions what is causing this would be very much appreciated. Thx

Don't blame the skate for a bad sharpening. What you experienced has nothing to do with the skate.

Jimmy,

So your saying it was the sharpening then. Well that is good cause I do like how my feet feel in the skate. I will just get them re-sharpened again. Any ideas what causes this?

Jimmy,

So your saying it was the sharpening then. Well that is good cause I do like how my feet feel in the skate. I will just get them re-sharpened again. Any ideas what causes this?

Possibly the two edges on the blade are uneven or the steel was bent somehow since you last played? I'm not familiar with FBV so I'm not certain if uneven edges can occur similarly to standard sharpening. My LHS always uses a little gadget to double check the blades are even after the sharpening.

I know the difference between the M8 and the mako 2 have been discussed (mostly just materials), but how does the M8 compare to the first mako?

Ive been looking around trying to get my hands on a used pair of the original Makos to convert to roller blades, but haven't had much luck. Starting to consider possibly getting the M8's instead of the Mako 1, since the originals are becoming hard to find. Ive still got a few months of summer left, and im currently using vapors that absolutely crush my pinkie toe (tight toe box).

I would stay away from the first makos and get the m8.

I owned the first makos, and had no issues besides the mako bump. I sent mine in for repair and they are sending me back mako 2's. If they decided to just send my first makos back, I wouldnt have been THAT disappointed. For the last month I wore them, I would shave my ankles and just put some regular stick tape over where it rubs and it seemed like an OK but not ideal solution. Besides the mako bump, what other reason should I be concerned with in regards to the first makos?

and I thought I was OK with using vapors just for roller - but the toe box problems are exacerbated by using them off ice (i think roller is harder on your feet). I really would like to get a used pair of mako ones, or mako m8's to convert to roller blades. If anybody wears a 7.5D and doesnt like their makos let me know!

I owned the first makos, and had no issues besides the mako bump. I sent mine in for repair and they are sending me back mako 2's. If they decided to just send my first makos back, I wouldnt have been THAT disappointed. For the last month I wore them, I would shave my ankles and just put some regular stick tape over where it rubs and it seemed like an OK but not ideal solution. Besides the mako bump, what other reason should I be concerned with in regards to the first makos?

and I thought I was OK with using vapors just for roller - but the toe box problems are exacerbated by using them off ice (i think roller is harder on your feet). I really would like to get a used pair of mako ones, or mako m8's to convert to roller blades. If anybody wears a 7.5D and doesnt like their makos let me know!

Alright, Ill give you reasons. Boots would crack like no other skate, skates will comes with defects and lastly, the padding issue with the mako one. I am far from being a big guy but after numerous mako one skates, all the padding collapses way too early and kills your ankles.

I have seen the mako2 and m8 in person and the padding seems thicker, and its gen 2, so it should be better

Alright, Ill give you reasons. Boots would crack like no other skate, skates will comes with defects and lastly, the padding issue with the mako one. I am far from being a big guy but after numerous mako one skates, all the padding collapses way too early and kills your ankles.

I have seen the mako2 and m8 in person and the padding seems thicker, and its gen 2, so it should be better

Good to know. Gonna keep looking around for M8's then. I only used my mako's for a month or two before sending them back because of the ankle issues. Good to hear they improved the skate so much. What is it with Easton making awesome, but shitty quality stuff? Even before using the skates, I had the same feeling about their sticks. If I were a pro and didnt care about breaking shit, I would probably wear Easton head to toe, but they just dont make durable equipment.

I think what I'll end up doing is just sticking it out with the roller skates I have now (maybe 2 good months of roller hockey left). Its gonna be hard to punch out that spot because its so close to the toe cap, but ill try it. Then when it starts to get warm again, hopefully some people will be looking to sell. I have seen used APX2 skates sell for ~300 in great condition, so I dont see why I shouldn't be able to grab a pair of mako 2's or m8's for the same.

still going strong w/ size 5 EE and my son is pushing a size 8w sneaker. the skates have obviously loosened up for him w/ clinics, but he hasn't been sktking 4 times a week yet, and i dunno if he will have any problems like people have encountered here, but he likes them tight, and he wanted another pair for his next size......we're on the clock with this size..so much so that i had to buy adult size 6 EE to have as a quick backup........it pains me....... even on sale at $399...

I went back to my old Vapor XXII's in the time being while the Mako's were getting processed through warranty. It was really foreign to me when I first got on the ice, adjusting to the really flat surface compared to 1~ year on the Mako's. Although it took me a bit to warm up and get my stride, the boot still fits perfectly - no heel lift whatsoever.

As for the skate, it was damn hard on my legs, especially switching directions, the first three strides felt like I was in quicksand (although it may have been the FBV 9-/75, which was new to me as well). However, in close and maneuvering tightly along the boards were a lot better for me. Felt more stable protecting the puck around the boards and around defenders.

I feel that the +3 on the Mako's put me on the forward third (even further feels like) specifically on stops where as the Vapors feel like more in the middle. Anyone know what I can do to get a happy middle between the two? Or would this be a case of a custom profiling? If so what should I be asking for?

I went back to my old Vapor XXII's in the time being while the Mako's were getting processed through warranty. It was really foreign to me when I first got on the ice, adjusting to the really flat surface compared to 1~ year on the Mako's. Although it took me a bit to warm up and get my stride, the boot still fits perfectly - no heel lift whatsoever.

As for the skate, it was damn hard on my legs, especially switching directions, the first three strides felt like I was in quicksand (although it may have been the FBV 9-/75, which was new to me as well). However, in close and maneuvering tightly along the boards were a lot better for me. Felt more stable protecting the puck around the boards and around defenders.

I feel that the +3 on the Mako's put me on the forward third (even further feels like) specifically on stops where as the Vapors feel like more in the middle. Anyone know what I can do to get a happy middle between the two? Or would this be a case of a custom profiling? If so what should I be asking for?

This is what I did while waiting for my makos to go through warranty:

awXcOBs.jpg

$60 bucks for holders and runners, and then once you get yours back youll have a spare set. All the holes line up so its an easy swap.

I will say it does feel different in some ways though. It actually feels like its more aggressive than the makos with cxn's. I think the outsole near the heel is thicker, which is why it has a little more pitch. You'll notice that the tenon guard on the Vapor doesnt allow the full range of motion like on the makos. The boot is stiffer in some of the "wrong" places compared to the makos - but thats probably because each skate was designed with a specific tenon guard in mind.

Its the best option to use for the time being IMO.