Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

If I want to a bit more on my toes then maybe heel lift of 1-2 mm, in conjunction with the steel already being profiled to a +1 is the way to go?

Maybe it isn't a good idea to take more steel off the toe? idk.

All I know now is that I know that I like the aggressive/attack stance that the Mako put you in (and I guess Graf's do the same), and I want that for my 190's. RIght now it's as simple as the +1 didn't put me back to that. So I'm looking for suggestions/insight.

After I get this dialed in I should be GTG.

If I want to a bit more on my toes then maybe heel lift of 1-2 mm, in conjunction with the steel already being profiled to a +1 is the way to go?

Maybe it isn't a good idea to take more steel off the toe? idk.

All I know now is that I know that I like the aggressive/attack stance that the Mako put you in (and I guess Graf's do the same), and I want that for my 190's. RIght now it's as simple as the +1 didn't put me back to that. So I'm looking for suggestions/insight.

After I get this dialed in I should be GTG.

As Anko just posted and I have previously in this thread, the difference between a Mako and stock Supreme should be about +4 in Pitch (+3 combined from steel and holder on Mako and -1 on Supreme), so, you still have a way to go. I agree about heel lifts. I did that with my son in his Supremes to get him more pitch and it worked nicely. I definitely wouldn't shave the toe. I've done that on purpose in the past and inadvertently through a plethora of sharpenings and it causes trouble.

As Anko just posted and I have previously in this thread, the difference between a Mako and stock Supreme should be about +4 in Pitch (+3 combined from steel and holder on Mako and -1 on Supreme), so, you still have a way to go. I agree about heel lifts. I did that with my son in his Supremes to get him more pitch and it worked nicely. I definitely wouldn't shave the toe. I've done that on purpose in the past and inadvertently through a plethora of sharpenings and it causes trouble.

That's what I'm thinking - don't really want to take any more off of the toe to get more pitch. So sounds like it's either 2 or 3 mm heel lifts combined with the +1 I've already had done to the blade, or possibly switching out the holder for the CXN from my Mako?

I still can't believe a Supreme is a "-1". How could anybody think putting a player in a less than neutral stance would benefit them in any way?

PS I just skated on my new Mako 2's this weekend for the first time. Stepped on the ice expecting to feel some massive difference between my old Vapors and the Mako. Turns out, people here blow things way the hell out of proportion. I had maybe 5 mins of adjustment period, then it was like nothing ever changed. Looks like I got worried over nothing...

I still can't believe a Supreme is a "-1". How could anybody think putting a player in a less than neutral stance would benefit them in any way?

The only way that and the ultra high boots make sense to me is they're tailored to the preferences of beginning skaters.

Any tinkering with pitch/profile/etc notwithstanding, considering Bauer and Tuuk are the most used skates and holders in the NHL, I'd say it isn't just tailored to the beginners.

Any tinkering with pitch/profile/etc notwithstanding, considering Bauer and Tuuk are the most used skates and holders in the NHL, I'd say it isn't just tailored to the beginners.

The ubiquity of the holder has very little to do with the design of the holder itself, other than being relatively reliable.

I feel like then a "-1" pitch is misleading.

It's just a relative number compared to other skates that are more aggressive. I just can't imagine than a Supreme skate, in it's entirety would be a real "negative" pitch, ie, you're actually put in a stance that would put you back on your heels. I'm not equipment manager or hockey shop owner, but I don't see why/how that would be something beneficial, even to a total novice.

• Like 1

The way a lot of elite skaters (not just pro, but high level juniors all over the world) use work arounds on the degree of structure and stiffness in Bauer boots is a major factor in why I think that. Essentially, Bauer's stock setup just reminds me of being on a city cruiser bike compared to ease of moving on racing bike, which at first is a scary posture for most people.

First, they convinced everybody about the proper way to shoot. Now, they're convincing everyone about the proper way to skate. I can't wait to see what movement Easton figures out next.

Edited by chippa13
  • Like 1

There are several benefits to using a more neutral setup. Off the top of my head:

1. Backwards skating

2. Standing taller/more stable while posting up in front of the net for screens, tips, rebounds.

3. Better glide -- more even weight distribution across blade as opposed to all up front.

In the end, there's a lot of personal preference involved. It's somewhat curious that the main designer behind the makos/mlx has a speed skating background, which is all about forward speed and acceleration. I agree that more forward pitch is generally better if your main concern is forward skating speed and acceleration, but there's a lot more to hockey than that and different people have different biomechanics.

PS I just skated on my new Mako 2's this weekend for the first time. Stepped on the ice expecting to feel some massive difference between my old Vapors and the Mako. Turns out, people here blow things way the hell out of proportion. I had maybe 5 mins of adjustment period, then it was like nothing ever changed. Looks like I got worried over nothing...

I could of course skate with them (and play) right away. What took some getting adjusted to (for me) was mainly two things... 1) Transitions to backwards felt a little weird (I caught my heel edges a little more frequently) and 2) I initially got winded on them more easily (I guess because I was using different muscles than I had been). Both things got worked out in a few games though.

First, they convinced everybody about the proper way to shoot. Now, they're convincing everyone about the proper way to skate. I can't wait to see what movement Easton figures out next.

If the Makos are as high cut and close fitting at the top as my MLX, I actually think that they're still committing the same motion obstruction that Bauer skates do, just to a lesser extent. For me, nothing matches the range of motion I get in standard Graf 703's. Those are the boots that unleashed my skating. Of course there's room for personal preference and all that. I just see a lot of great skaters wearing Bauer who skip and eyelet or two, like flipping the training wheels upwards instead of taking them off completely.

Well, I just ordered a pair for myself from hockeymonkey, hopefully they'll be the right size when I get them. I wear a 10d in reebok, so hopefully 10d in the easton mako's will be just right after baking!

Edited by sparky1

Well, I just ordered a pair for myself from hockeymonkey, hopefully they'll be the right size when I get them. I wear a 10d in reebok, so hopefully 10d in the easton mako's will be just right after baking!

I was in Reebok Ribcor 8.5D and now have the Easton Mako in 8.5D. They fit perfect! I replaced the original runners for Step steel to remove a bit of the aggressive pitch. So far happy.

Quick two questions for you guys. Since my mako crapped out on me, i ordered myself another pair of mako 1s, but the heating instructions paper was not inside the box. Was it 10min for easton oven and 6 min non easton oven, at 200f?

Also, since it is almost impossible for easton to make a pair without defects, my holders are installed in a weird way. One is too far back , the other is too far in the front, theres maybe 1cm difference between both skates. Is it something to be concerned of, or its nothing that my body cant adjust to?

Quick two questions for you guys. Since my mako crapped out on me, i ordered myself another pair of mako 1s, but the heating instructions paper was not inside the box. Was it 10min for easton oven and 6 min non easton oven, at 200f?

Also, since it is almost impossible for easton to make a pair without defects, my holders are installed in a weird way. One is too far back , the other is too far in the front, theres maybe 1cm difference between both skates. Is it something to be concerned of, or its nothing that my body cant adjust to?

If you go 1 page back, you will see pictures showing that I had similar problem. The holders were misaligned. I had the skates replaced by the store I purchased them from.

Has anyone replaced the stock mako insoles? I've had the skates for over a year now and the insoles are becoming very thin especially around the heel. Not sure if I have enough room for superfeet like I was able to do in my Totalones. Any suggestions?

Has anyone replaced the stock mako insoles? I've had the skates for over a year now and the insoles are becoming very thin especially around the heel. Not sure if I have enough room for superfeet like I was able to do in my Totalones. Any suggestions?

I prefer thin footbeds in Mako skates. I replaced the stock ones with some basic Grafs as well as some Elites without a problem

If you go 1 page back, you will see pictures showing that I had similar problem. The holders were misaligned. I had the skates replaced by the store I purchased them from.

The original pair had the same issue as yours, even worst Id say, one of the holders was way way off, I tried them and my foot was wobbling badly. This is a replacement that I waited 1 month for Easton to send it to me. I am not dealing with Easton anymore, I think its safe to say this is my last Easton anything. F***** Easton lol. That company will never change. I have never had to send any other skates brand in warranty...I think I had to send Easton skates 4-5 times in warranty in the last 2 years, they just fit my foot that well.

Does anyone know:

a) What size torx the tendon guard are held on with?

b) What size robertson the screws on the holders are?

I believe the Robertson heads are #2. I know they are the same as the Mission Pitch and I probably have a few spares if you need some.