Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Little update: I'm changing out the CXN holders to TUUK LS2 holders. I'll be updating in about a week or two with some PICTURES (VH vs Mako II weight in grams) and will have a few more notes/opinions. Stay tuned!

Feel/Weight:

VH over Easton. Even though the Mako weighs 890 grams versus VH's 930 grams, I think it all comes down to the feel of the holder. The CXN holder feels like a brick underneath my boot: heavy and very sluggish. I think if I swapped out the CXN for the TUUK LS2/Edge holder, the Mako would win hands down.

Your 930-gram VH skate isn't standard is it? Standard tongue and toe-box, width, etc?

Your 930-gram VH skate isn't standard is it? Standard tongue and toe-box, width, etc?

It's pretty much standard, aside from the tongue and Step steel runners. When I take another measurement, I'll pair the VH up with LS2 runners just to make it similar to the Mako setup.

Do you still have the original tongue from your VH? It would be interesting to see how much more mass there is to the thicker ones.

As much as the weight sits in people's minds, it would be nice if there were weights for all the sizes in a range, especially since a size 8 in one brand doesn't fit the same as a size 8 in another.

I forgot to mention, but I noticed a similar sluggish feeling you mention having with the CXN when comparing my MLX holder to the LS2 (The MLX holder I have is a little longer though, so maybe that's the feeling I don't like?). Along with the LS2 the other holders I really feel comfortable in are Cobras and Tuuk Custom+. I'm wondering if having the hardware securing the steel down low by the toe and the heel can cause a holder to feel sluggish to some people.

Besides the changes JR mention in the catalouge review (ankle padding, footbed, tounge) are there any other differences between the Mako 1 and Mako 2 skates? Are they going to perform the same?

Yes, performance will be pretty much the same. The changes listed were made to address some issues that some wearers experienced. Those that I know that went from Mako to Mako II like them even more...

Custom VH vs Mako II and which is lighter/heavier:

Custom VH skates setup:

Left:

Length: 267mm (approx)

Width: 99mm (approx)

Tongue: Single Felt

Holder: LS2 TUUK

Runners: Step Steel Black

Laces: Elite Unwaxed Wide - 84"

Right:

Length: 264mm (approx)

Width: 103mm (approx)

Tongue: Single Felt

Laces: Elite Unwaxed Wide - 84"

Retail 7.5 EE Mako II setup:

Left L/W: 268mm / 104mm (approx)

Right L/W: 268mm / 104mm (approx)

Tongue: Stock

Laces: Stock Unwaxed Wide - 96"

VH left - 878g:

avk2T0W.jpg

VH right 874g:

yKebLOx.jpg

Mako left - 850g:

ujnRzhd.jpg

Mako right- 846g:

TeifFze.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I think they're pretty much about even. Due to the difference in the laces, I believe the Mako would be a few grams heavier if I used the Elite unwaxed wide laces. Also, if I were to use the thin, stock VH tongues, the VH's would be slightly lighter. Therefore, I'd say they're about equal and their difference in weight is negligible.

Edited by mc88
  • Like 1

Guys - really want to try out tinkering with the Mako pitch/feel just a touch. I can't decide if I should order step steel from No Icing and get a 9' radius and put it into the CXN holder, or just put my old LS2 holder and steel on the Mako skate. Obviously getting step steel and just putting that in is cheaper, but I'm not sure that would actually change anything. Might feel a bit better because I think my real issue isn't the pitch or the radius, but the fact the overall blade shape is rather round. I feel like the contact patch I have on the ice is very short/small sometimes.

Guys - really want to try out tinkering with the Mako pitch/feel just a touch. I can't decide if I should order step steel from No Icing and get a 9' radius and put it into the CXN holder, or just put my old LS2 holder and steel on the Mako skate. Obviously getting step steel and just putting that in is cheaper, but I'm not sure that would actually change anything. Might feel a bit better because I think my real issue isn't the pitch or the radius, but the fact the overall blade shape is rather round. I feel like the contact patch I have on the ice is very short/small sometimes.

Why not change the radius on the stock mako steel? That seems like it would be the most cost effective solution, no?

@monty22- Because if I don't like it, then I'm screwed until I can get the profile changed again.

Edit: Additionally, I don't think the radius is the problem for me in finding my correct balance. I think it has more to do with the shape of the steel (very round toe and heel), and perhaps maybe the aggressive pitch given by the steel + holder. It seems less risky to order some step steel and have it radius to 9' (just like mako) and given a medium pitch (slightly less than mako) and see if that feels better. Then I can go from there and make any corrections if I feel it's needed.

Otherwise, I could buy nothing, and just have my Tuuks put on my Makos and see what that's like. I'd kind of rather go the first route though, bc I can swap out steel during a game if I felt all sorts of messed up. Swapping holders would require me going to a shop, or a few hours of time installing them via Tnut and bolt.

Edited by z1ggy

The mako stock radius is 9', going to a step with a 9' is still going for feel like small contact amount, similar to what you have now. What is your symptom while skating?

• Like 1

They are? Stock step was TOTALLY different from stock mako runners when I tried.

I have step steel runners (stock) on my Makos. If you hold them up against stock Mako runners they are identical.

Curious, were you both using the step steel for CXN holders? Did one of you swap out for LS2s or some other holder?

Dead stock mako 1, stock step steel runners from Amazon, because I was curious I pulled the stock easton runners out and held them up to the step steel for comparison and to my eye,mouth the bolt holes lined up the skating edges matched. i was surprise because I think I read somewhere in this thread that they were different.....

Curious, were you both using the step steel for CXN holders? Did one of you swap out for LS2s or some other holder?

Yes, for CXN

Dead stock mako 1, stock step steel runners from Amazon, because I was curious I pulled the stock easton runners out and held them up to the step steel for comparison and to my eye,mouth the bolt holes lined up the skating edges matched. i was surprise because I think I read somewhere in this thread that they were different.....

Yea, probably my post. They were very different.

Sorry can't quote here at work..

@Jimmy

My symptom is just overall, I'm less balanced and I definitely feel like there's less blade on the ice compared to my Vapor's with Tuuk/LS2. When I went from Vapors to Mako, I knew the radius was the same, but I felt more of a rocker I suppose. I attributed this to there being more of a roundness to the toe and heel, even if overall radius of the flat section of blade is the same. I know the pitch is greater, too... So maybe that's what I was feeling.

Would you think Step steel, with 9' radius profiled to "medium" or "minor" pitch would help?

Edited by z1ggy

I also have Step Steel with CXN holders and they are completely different from the stock CXN runners. The heel is almost the same but the toe is much taller making them neutral.

Edited by gogovs

I think the CXN runner is just more rockered with less steel at the toe and heel. The flat portion of the blade will be the same as long as they are radiused the same. If you get too far over your toes or heels in your turns though, you may not be as stable as there is not as much steel there to support you. Personally, I like the rockered effect. When I got my last bauers I had some of the heel and toe material ground off as I felt like I was catching the toes of the blades on tighter turns and quick crossovers the first few times I skated on them.

I think the CXN runner is just more rockered with less steel at the toe and heel. The flat portion of the blade will be the same as long as they are radiused the same. If you get too far over your toes or heels in your turns though, you may not be as stable as there is not as much steel there to support you. Personally, I like the rockered effect. When I got my last bauers I had some of the heel and toe material ground off as I felt like I was catching the toes of the blades on tighter turns and quick crossovers the first few times I skated on them.

Yet another reason why I cant wait for the sparx home sharpener to come out. No matter where I get my skates done, they eventually look like banannas due to pressing at the beginning and end of the pass. Sparxx uses constant pressure so your blade shape does not change, and you get the same feel with a new blade vs an old blade (same amount of heel and toe).

Edited by louierev07
  • Like 1

I hear you. I have a very experienced sharpener that does my son's skates. Nobody else touches them. He keeps the profile and shape perfect through the life of the runners. you don't or shouldn't spend a lot of time on your heels or toes so he only sharpens them on the last 2 or 3 passes.

Edited by chromechaser
  • Like 1