Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I had no issues out of the box. The steel is harder than a lot of other skates and make more passes to put on an equivalent edge. They could very well need a second sharpening.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just got back from a shinny type game which was my 1st game situation with the mako's. It was like night and day compared to when I did the stick and puck. I had them re sharpened and they felt so natural. Still not convinced they originally sharpened to the 5/8's they felt way to sharp which may of been causing the choppy feeling I was getting while stopping.

Update to my painful arch issue: I went ahead and rebaked the skates at a LHS. Per the current directions; 10 minutes with the insoles removed. I tied them at about 50% tension and began pressing inwards on the area of my arches surrounding the painful spot. My logic was to give my feet better/more even support across the entire length of the arch so as to relieve pressure on the spot that felt painful. I'm happy to say that this has worked out well! I now feel firm support across the entire arch with no pain anywhere. I highly suggest this to anyone who is experiencing similar pain to what I previously described.

• Like 2

I took the plunge today. Local PlayersBench store didn't have Mako IIs in my size, but they're on transfer from another store. Should be in next week.

I tried on M8s to figure out my exact size, as well as a half size up and down from my actual in Mako IIs (Go figure they have practically every size but mine!) I'm impressed. I've never worn a skate other than Bauer. The way these feel on my feet is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see what they're like baked and broken in!

Thanks to everyone who's posted their experiences in this thread.

Edited by mrwizardno2

Skated today and had no discomfort in my arches. Looks like pressing in across the arch (during the rebake) did the trick.

I made another observation today regarding "runner clicking/moving". While walking around at times it sounded as though my left runner was clicking. Closer inspection revealed that the front tower of the holder was making a very slight creaking noise. I can recreate it by holding the skate upside down/heel towards me. Using my thumbs I press down on the holder between the two rear most rivets of the front tower. Doing so causes a very slight creak. The holder doesn't move and all of the rivets are tight. I think this is worth checking for those of you who hear clicking despite the runner being tight.

Edited by Anjin-san

Hey

Thinking of getting Mako 1s on a close out

I'm currently wearing vapor X:60 in 8.5 EE and feel like I need the EE due to my wide foot

Anyone who moved from bauer to easton say to go with an EE?

fwiw I went from 8ee apx to 7.5ee in mako but you can never be sure until you try them on, even more so with the mako's they felt awful to me until they were baked.

I took the plunge today. Local PlayersBench store didn't have Mako IIs in my size, but they're on transfer from another store. Should be in next week.

I tried on M8s to figure out my exact size, as well as a half size up and down from my actual in Mako IIs (Go figure they have practically every size but mine!) I'm impressed. I've never worn a skate other than Bauer. The way these feel on my feet is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see what they're like baked and broken in!

Thanks to everyone who's posted their experiences in this thread.

What Bauers were you in?

Would a D Mako be similar to a D Vapor..or Supreme?

Just skated on the Mako IIs for the first time today! Overall, I'm extremely happy....

I just need to figure out how to keep them from scuffing the tops of my ankles. This pic isn't that great, but the skate definitely rubbed the area above both outer ankles raw. Other than this one issue, I'm completely satisfied. I went from a 10 EE in a Bauer APX down to a 9.5 D in the Makos.

WP_20150709_13_21_15_Rich.jpg

Just skated on the Mako IIs for the first time today! Overall, I'm extremely happy....

I just need to figure out how to keep them from scuffing the tops of my ankles. This pic isn't that great, but the skate definitely rubbed the area above both outer ankles raw. Other than this one issue, I'm completely satisfied. I went from a 10 EE in a Bauer APX down to a 9.5 D in the Makos.

Was the width tight untill you baked them?

Was the width tight untill you baked them?

Yeah, the forefoot was pretty unbearable. Once they were hot from the skate oven, it loosened up and is nearly what I'd believe to be perfect at this point.

Does that happen to line up with top eyelet?

Here are two more pics. The eyelet is pretty far forward on the skate, well ahead of the tongue when the skate is laced. It's more the top of the boot itself where there is a leather / synthetic lining material that seems to have rubbed against it. When I flex forward in the skates as when skating, it's more obvious.

WP_20150709_14_56_58_back_angle.jpgWP_20150709_14_57_19_flexed_view.jpg

Top of the boot is probably folding in a little when tied. Reheat the areas around the top 4 eyelets and tie the skates making sure to be pulling evenly thru those eyelets so that the boot maintains its upright shape.

What Bauers were you in?

Would a D Mako be similar to a D Vapor..or Supreme?

I went from a 10 EE in a Bauer APX down to a 9.5 D in the Makos.

Thank you.

I hope you get the ankle rubbing issue fixed.

Well I finally bought my Easton Mako 2 skates... they fited too well ! :-D

I hope they will survive more than 2 years... :)

Did you end up getting Shot Blockers for added protection? or are you just going to brave it?

Did you end up getting Shot Blockers for added protection? or are you just going to brave it?

I didn't bought any shot blockers. I had no trouble with the 1st generation so I will go like that with the second one.

Saturday => first skate with them. Review saturday or sunday :)

I didn't bought any shot blockers. I had no trouble with the 1st generation so I will go like that with the second one.

Saturday => first skate with them. Review saturday or sunday :)

Good luck! let us know how it goes!

It's a common problem with the Mako's. Read back through the many pages of this thread and you'll see many people who have had it and how they dealt with it. In my opinion it's because of the increased range of fore and aft motion that you get with the Makos (A similar thing happened for my son when we tried 55 flex on other skates which also increases the motion but additionally also creates a bump inside the skates near the eyelets). The only real option for me was to wear moleskin when I got the blister, let it heal, let it happen again, then repeat... Eventually I built up a callous at those spots and quit getting them. I'm lazy enough that if I had to put on a sleeve every time I wore them that would have ended it for me. I've since moved to VHs, but I would go back to Makos (with skate fenders) if VHs weren't available. My kid has M8s and he has the blisters in those spots right now. He'll be playing with moleskin on tonight (as he has for the past two weeks). He'll eventually build up a callous too. I'm more worried about the first time he takes a clapper to them that hurts bad enough to make him not like them anymore (he's only 13 so the number of people that can shoot that hard is still low, but they are definitely starting to get up there).

I'll go to the LHS for baking. Asked a home baking Q but don't think I'll bother & take the 1hour drive

Edited by chuffy

Good luck! let us know how it goes!

So after three hours on ice with my new skates it was amazing. Really comfy and I just need to skate more with them for fit perfectly on my feet.

Same feeling as the first mako skates so it's great.

I have the click thing on the right skates I don't know what to do... I will maybe have a check on rivets. Anyone has this problem ?

It's a common problem with the Mako's. Read back through the many pages of this thread and you'll see many people who have had it and how they dealt with it. In my opinion it's because of the increased range of fore and aft motion that you get with the Makos (A similar thing happened for my son when we tried 55 flex on other skates which also increases the motion but additionally also creates a bump inside the skates near the eyelets). The only real option for me was to wear moleskin when I got the blister, let it heal, let it happen again, then repeat... Eventually I built up a callous at those spots and quit getting them. I'm lazy enough that if I had to put on a sleeve every time I wore them that would have ended it for me. I've since moved to VHs, but I would go back to Makos (with skate fenders) if VHs weren't available. My kid has M8s and he has the blisters in those spots right now. He'll be playing with moleskin on tonight (as he has for the past two weeks). He'll eventually build up a callous too. I'm more worried about the first time he takes a clapper to them that hurts bad enough to make him not like them anymore (he's only 13 so the number of people that can shoot that hard is still low, but they are definitely starting to get up there).

I had the same issue on my left leg. Bought a bunga pad and no problems since.

Just tried on my new mako 1s. Less volume than my vapor X:60's

Anyone had long term trouble with the boot being so low volume?

Just tried on my new mako 1s. Less volume than my vapor X:60's

Anyone had long term trouble with the boot being so low volume?

Nope. I fail the pencil test horribly with the Makos but the fit is just so good that I've never had any issues there.