Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JamesCL

modifying cage

I recently switched over to a 9900 cage from a visor after having a couple teeth knocked out.

I'm having a very hard time adjusting to my cage, I've used it about 20-25x already and I just can't get my vision under control, I have very good stick handling and control of the puck, but it seems like im battling with myself to keep control of the puck.

Im not sure if its the cage or the chin cup or something, has anyone did any modifying to their cages to help with visibilty? ie, painting the cage or replacing the chincup to a smaller one with any luck?

Im seriously considering other options like a fishbowl or visor-cage combo, the day has finally come lol, i remember when we were younger and we use to make fun of all the kids in minor hockey wearing this, now im considering getting one. funny.

You could try some cage 'hang' to remove the chin cup from your face. Loosen the straps up so it hands off the jclips more and isn't touching your face.

Other than that, I duno what more you can do other than switching to a fish bowl.

I prefer my RBE VIII cage to my silver FM480. I like that the inside bars are painted white while the outside is black. I think it's just a mental thing for me. Everyone has their own preference though. I would much rather wear a cage over a fishbowl or visor-cage combo. I feel like the thicker plastic for ventilation throws me off more than the cage bars do.

Maybe ill try painting the interior white, and cutting my chincup to make it smaller so when I look down it won't be so prominent.

Maybe ill try painting the interior white,

Don't. Cages aren't made for painting. It will chip like crazy and where will those paint chips end up? Your eyes.

Just buy a white cage.

True, I haven't looked into it yet, but I figured there would be some sort of post regarding painting cages and types of paints that would work. But good advice.

Don't. Cages aren't made for painting. It will chip like crazy and where will those paint chips end up? Your eyes.

Just buy a white cage.

Nonsense.

I've painted plenty of cages, & never had any "chip like crazy". Let alone get paint chips in the eyes. Seriously...

Any good quality spray bomb will work fine. Satin sheen will help keep the glare down. Scuff it up a little with some fine grit sandpaper to give it some "tooth" to stick to. Not much is necessary, just knock any shine off.

I found some cages are easier to "forget about" than others. I dont like white or black, nor chrome. The current re-akt cage is easily the best I've ever used as its matte and has thin bars. You might want to look at one of those.

this is why i'm glad i started playing with a cage

aha i don't know what visor or no protection feels like out there on the ice

now i don't even notice the cage

btw i have the apx cage (online store upgraded my cage for screwing up my order) on a 9900 helmet and love it

You could try some cage 'hang' to remove the chin cup from your face. Loosen the straps up so it hands off the jclips more and isn't touching your face.

That's the most dangerous thing you can do with a cage. It can allow a stick or puck to get inside and do damage. The closer the cage is to your face, the lager the openings will appear to be.

"Hang" won't do anything except make matters worse for vision. If the chin cup is interfering with your vision its because it's too far forward, which is a result of hang. There's a couple things I did to adjust to a cage, such as watching tv or playing video games. Doing visually/mentally stimulating activities with the cage on will help a lot with the adjustment period. It's drastic and I was called a lunatic for doing it, but driving with your helmet on works wonders. I wouldn't do anything with high traffic, but a couple spins around the neighborhood will help train your brain to look past the cage.

I never thought of that, but it certainly will build your hours in the cage much more quickly, which should help you get used to it.

Team Honda, that's funny.. Lol

I'd like to get opinions from those of you who have tried a bauer 9900 cage and a Bauer Concept 2 full-shield.....what did you prefer?

I've never tried a full shield, but for some reason im thinking i'll be able to see better with this opposed to wearing a 9900. But before I go out and buy one i'd like to get some opinions.

I had an ITech full shield, I think it was the Concept II back in the late 90's for inline hockey. I liked the facial protection, but HATED how hot it was - now I realize that playing inline hockey is naturally warmer than ice hockey (especially in Texas), but I couldn't stand it & how often sweat ended up on the shield part (I had to wipe it off every time I went to the bench). I switched to a half shield for roller & then when I made the move to ice hockey I went to a full cage (NikeBauer 8500, I believe). Sure, it took a bit to get used to, but I have played inline once in the full cage & I noticed that it was much cooler than the full shield. I adjusted to the full cage & now I'm not sure I would be comfortable playing without it (especially with the money I invested in permanently fixing my teeth from a non-hockey related youth injury).

I had an ITech full shield, I think it was the Concept II back in the late 90's for inline hockey. I liked the facial protection, but HATED how hot it was - now I realize that playing inline hockey is naturally warmer than ice hockey (especially in Texas), but I couldn't stand it & how often sweat ended up on the shield part (I had to wipe it off every time I went to the bench). I switched to a half shield for roller & then when I made the move to ice hockey I went to a full cage (NikeBauer 8500, I believe). Sure, it took a bit to get used to, but I have played inline once in the full cage & I noticed that it was much cooler than the full shield. I adjusted to the full cage & now I'm not sure I would be comfortable playing without it (especially with the money I invested in permanently fixing my teeth from a non-hockey related youth injury).

Thanks for your opinion, Im having a tough time with the 9900 cage, and everyone says that offers the best visibility..so i may just order a concept 2 and try it out.

Ive been wearing a half visor for 15 years. So its hard wearing a cage.

Use a cage that fits you, so the chin cup sits on your chin. As Chadd mentioned, bringing the cage closer to your face will reduce the obstruction problem. And it will also give you the protection the cage is designed to give you.

Why not try a clear cage if it's that much of

Im seriously considering other options like a fishbowl or visor-cage combo, the day has finally come lol, i remember when we were younger and we use to make fun of all the kids in minor hockey wearing this, now im considering getting one. funny.

Whats the point of making fun of some thing that protects them? My buddy wears one cause he wears contacts and doesnt want snow in his eyes if he falls or something. I use to wear one as well but went to visor. Nothing wrong with wearing a fishbowl.

Then don't fall. Seriously, I wear contacts with my cage, and haven't had a problem. Of course, my falls have been on my back. But I don't see snow as a danger.

As to making fun of people, if's it's friendly, I take it that way. If it's mean-spirited, I don't really need to notice those people. At least, not after the first punch (kidding!).

Then don't fall. Seriously, I wear contacts with my cage, and haven't had a problem. Of course, my falls have been on my back. But I don't see snow as a danger.

As to making fun of people, if's it's friendly, I take it that way. If it's mean-spirited, I don't really need to notice those people. At least, not after the first punch (kidding!).

Not everybody falls on their back though. I fell today cause I was in front of the net and got cross checked hard in the back. Got a nice snow shower as well cause of the other team.