Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer TotalONE NXG Girdle Teardown

Tried this on and at first Things felt great (coming from a 9k girdle). Unfortunately when trying them along with shin pads the shell around the thighs is so close that it interferes with the top/end of the shin pads when going from a bend position to a somewhat standing position :-(

Is there a more loose shell available or any other idea how to circumvent that issue?

No, there isn't.

So, I skated in them last week and it's a bit different than the older one, but I like it.

It feels more like a pant above the waist - since you don't have a belt there, I felt like it had better mobility. It felt a bit strange because I'm used to the belted girdle. But, I noticed some people posting in this thread about how it doesn't work without the Bauer-provided shell and I can tell you that it isn't the case - I used the lowers from a pro pant and in my opinion, fit it better than how a lower fit on the old girdle, because you had 2 belts.

I ordered these and an extra shell from an unnamed online store. When I got it, the Velcro loops on the left and right were hanging by a thread, its like when they where made the machine missed the stiches to attach the loops. Also the shell I had had a gash in the bag in came in and had a slice in the shell. It wasn't from me, I tore the box open as I was so excited to get them.

On to the fit, they felt good, although I had too much interference with my shin guards. Right now I am wearing the TotalOne ice pant from last year, and the TotalOne.8 shins. My shins have that guard above the knee cap and I can't remove or adjust it. My shin kept getting in the way, and I don't want to cut that top pad of, as once when I blocked a shot it came in handy

Overall, I do think its great, might work great for some people depending up the fit with their shins. Also, I wasn't sure how you would have to dress wearing these as you really can't attach the loops with them on.

If you are like me and like to put your shins and socks on first, attach to jock and then toss on pants and skates you will have to change your approach.

In the end the online shop paid for the shipping and took the pants back with out question once I called up. I only wore them in the house so I can't give you a review of how they felt on the ice.

On to the fit, they felt good, although I had too much interference with my shin guards.

I face exactly the same issue :-(

Really like the fit but wonder how to solve the Shin guard interference problems.

I used the NXG shell. It's great product especially if you play in different teams. I was going to call Bauer to find out what their thoughts were on shins guards bc if it has the protector above the cap it's not going to work. I would assume them would test it.

I own the Bauer NXG pants and have skated with them for about 6 hours thus far. Overall, I love them compared to my Bauer Vapor APX pants. They are extremely protective in most areas (more on this), and not at all bulky which makes skating more fluid. I replaced my Vapor APX pants due to the spine guard getting stuck on the bottom of multiple shoulder pads, pushing them up over my shoulders. The NXG pants do not have this issue and allow the lower back of my shoulder pads to float on top of the spine guard.

The first drawback that I've encountered is the lack of a belt on the girdle itself. I can wrap the velcro waist tightly but it's not enough to keep the girdle from slipping down when skating. I've resorted to wrapping a skate lace around the waist of the girdle to keep it in place. Yes, I am using the NXG shell on top of the girdle, but was still experiencing slippage.

The second drawback is the tailbone protection. Compared to the Vapor APX, the tailbone protector seems way too short. When standing, the tailbone pad ends where my tailbone ends, which means that when I squat, sit down, or fall down, the pad slides upwards and the bottom of my tailbone is unprotected. Isn't this what the tailbone pad is for? To protect your tailbone when landing on your rear-end?

I experienced some initial issues with shinguard interference (Bauer Vapor APX shinguard), but I loosened the thigh protectors a bit to allow the top of the shinguard (lower thigh protector) to slide up underneath the girdle.

I experienced some initial issues with shinguard interference (Bauer Vapor APX shinguard), but I loosened the thigh protectors a bit to allow the top of the shinguard (lower thigh protector) to slide up underneath the girdle.

I tried with Total One 90 and NXG shin guards but also loosening the thigh protectors on the pant didn't help as the shell is still too tight in that area causing interference.

I tried with Total One 90 and NXG shin guards but also loosening the thigh protectors on the pant didn't help as the shell is still too tight in that area causing interference.

Doesn't the shell have zippers?

Thanks for the notes, I just walked around the house with mine, it was damaged anyways so it had to got back. I was tempted to get another one, but the thigh guard doesn't remove or lower on my shins. I could cut it off, but I'd rather not. Seems like this is a common problem, seems like we all could send them improvements for the next generation.

Thanks for the notes, I just walked around the house with mine, it was damaged anyways so it had to got back. I was tempted to get another one, but the thigh guard doesn't remove or lower on my shins. I could cut it off, but I'd rather not. Seems like this is a common problem, seems like we all could send them improvements for the next generation.

Yep! Strange they didn't notice this right away when testing.

How is everybody liking these or the one.8?

I tried on both in a medium which fit but could barely Velcro the shell. I could get the girdle and use a nexus shell or possibly buy a 9k shell since it had loops. Would a 9k large shell be ok to use with a medium girdle (NXG or one.8

Picked up the nxg in a medium. I play tonight so we'll see. Like others said, the shell it comes with is way too tight for my liking. I tried it with a nexus shell I have and it fits great. the belt on the nexus lines up right over top of the velcro strap that goes across your waist. Are there any shells out there that have legs that are a little wider?

JR, as far as using your pant lowers with the shell. I've never had two piece pants before, but doesn't the lower have all the thigh padding etc? Unless you remove it from the lowers, isn't that overkill with the girdle? I know I have to be missing something here.

Cool.

With the nexus shell over top the girdle it felt like a bullet proof streamlined pant. I like the ability to adjust the legs and how the kidney and upper portion hugs the body. I can't wait to skate with it tonight.

Cool.

With the nexus shell over top the girdle it felt like a bullet proof streamlined pant. I like the ability to adjust the legs and how the kidney and upper portion hugs the body. I can't wait to skate with it tonight.

Could you take a picture? I´m thinking about do the same.

UPDATE: I just ordered the Bauer Nexus pant shells for my NXG girdle and wanted to let everyone know that a medium Nexus pant shell fits extremely well on a medium NXG girdle. There is ample room; it is not tight at all, and the shell extends about an inch below the bottom of the thigh pads. More importantly, my shinpad interference issue is solved because it was the NXG shell that was too tight and restricting movement, not the girdle itself. I'm now able to re-tighten my NXG girdle thigh protectors without shinpad interference. Also, I don't have to use a skate lace or additional belt to keep my girdle in place, as the Nexus shell belt keeps the girdle in place.

Bauer failed on their NXG shell. However, the girdle is great when combined with the Nexus shell.

UPDATE: I just ordered the Bauer Nexus pant shells for my NXG girdle and wanted to let everyone know that a medium Nexus pant shell fits extremely well on a medium NXG girdle. There is ample room; it is not tight at all, and the pant extends about an inch below the bottom of the thigh pads. More importantly, my shinpad interference issue is solved because it was the NXG pant that was too tight and restricting movement, not the shell itself. I'm now able to re-tighten my NXG girdle thigh protectors without shinpad interference. Also, I don't have to use a skate lace or additional belt to keep my girdle in place, as the Nexus pant belt keeps the girdle in place.

Bauer failed on their NXG pant. However, the girdle is great when combined with the Nexus pant.

Hi SCOMPL, maybe I´ll buy the NXG girdle.

I have doubts.

You play roller hockey or ice hockey?

Do you think that, for roller hockey, I can use the NXG girdle, without own shell, but with a standar roller pants over the NXG girdle?

Or... Can you recommend the best form to play roller hockey with de NXG girdle?

Thank you!

Hi SCOMPL, maybe I´ll buy the NXG girdle.

I have doubts.

You play roller hockey or ice hockey?

Do you think that, for roller hockey, I can use the NXG girdle, without own shell, but with a standar roller pants over the NXG girdle?

Or... Can you recommend the best form to play roller hockey with de NXG girdle?

Thank you!

I play ice hockey. I've never played organized roller hockey, just street hockey on inline skates when I was a kid (without pads).

Looking at some of the inline-specific girdles, I don't see why the NXG shell wouldn't fit under roller pants. It's not that much bigger. However, keep in mind that the NXG girdle does not have a belt, just a loose velcro system that doesn't do much to keep them from sliding down. You can do what I originally did (before using the Nexus shell) and use a skate lace or separate belt wrapped around the waist of the girdle. If your roller pants have a belt, you should be good to go. The thigh protectors are the bulkiest part of the NXG girdle.

Since I can't really compare the NXG to any roller hockey-specific equipment, I can't make any recommendations as to what is the best. I'm extremely happy with it now that I've solved my shell issue. It's very protective, not bulky compared to traditional pants, and not restrictive.

I play ice hockey. I've never played organized roller hockey, just street hockey on inline skates when I was a kid (without pads).

Looking at some of the inline-specific girdles, I don't see why the NXG shell wouldn't fit under roller pants. It's not that much bigger. However, keep in mind that the NXG girdle does not have a belt, just a loose velcro system that doesn't do much to keep them from sliding down. You can do what I originally did (before using the Nexus shell) and use a skate lace or separate belt wrapped around the waist of the girdle. If your roller pants have a belt, you should be good to go. The thigh protectors are the bulkiest part of the NXG girdle.

Since I can't really compare the NXG to any roller hockey-specific equipment, I can't make any recommendations as to what is the best. I'm extremely happy with it now that I've solved my shell issue. It's very protective, not bulky compared to traditional pants, and not restrictive.

Thank you! :)

I've been skating in Eastern Synergies for a few years. How does the NXG fit and comfort compare. My only issue with the Synergy is that the seams have been coming apart.

Thank you