Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avery16

hockey officials gear

One issue with the Steven's padded pants is the pads are not removable, making washing them a pain in the ass.

I don't wear a girdle when I ref or line. I did wear an old inline girdle I had, didn't care for it. And yes, I've worked the leagues you guys are talking about. I worked EJHL and some college last year.

I will however be getting and trying a mouth guard. I took a puck off the the jaw in an EJHL game last year, couldn't chew solid food for almost a week :)

As for not getting hit, it can and does happen. Doing a D1 men's league game in NYC, a blast off the crossbar came into my corner, missed me, but scared the crap out of me...

Combat was bought out by Bauer, and Bauer is not continuing the Combat referee line. However, the pants are still being made by the same company in Quebec which is now called MF2 Inc under the brand name FRLAN. Combat pants are still available on-line from www.REFSTUFF.ca

Most people just starting out will either be working a two official system with no bands required or will be assigned to line games in a three official system. As you get more experienced you may need to wear the bands from time to time. Most of the very experienced officials I know that wear the bands all the time invest in jerseys with sewn in bands in addition to a separate jersey for when they line. Personally, this is only my second year officiating so I simply have snap on bands when I need them, but if I start needing them more often in the future then I'll get another jersey with the sewn in bands.

I use the CCM MPro150B jersey with sewn-on bands, I bought it a couple years ago when I started going up the middle more. In my opinion it looks and feels better that snapping on the water wings.

Rumor has it that CCM is no longer producing this jersey with red bands, only orange.

I tape my fingers because I've had my whistle hit by sticks / caught in jerseys / hit off the boards, and cut my hand on the edge of the whistle. I also find it easier to pull my whistle off going into a scrum when i have my fingers taped.

Im still lost on the whole taped fingers/whistle thing...

Where exactly do you tape your fingers or whistle?

Can i get a pic? lol

Im still lost on the whole taped fingers/whistle thing...

Where exactly do you tape your fingers or whistle?

Can i get a pic? lol

Like this

f18yvnzm.jpg

Some go farther down the finger, some only one finger, some no tape at all, it's the same as taping your stick, everyone has a different preference.

look at nhl linesman.. they all seem to have their fingers taped.. just seems weird why you wouldnt just tape the whistle.

Personal preference of the official, I like the mouthpiece taped, but not the barrel, in my opinion that makes it too bulky and doesn't look good. I'm most comfortable just with tape on my whistle fingers.

Why do you tape the mouthpiece instead of just using the rubber cover that comes with it?

Personal preference again, I don't like the bare metal mouthpiece, and tape is a bit thinner than the rubber piece.