Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avery16

hockey officials gear

anyone know of nhlers or high level players who were once officials? or nhl officials who played high level hockey?

Not the right thread for this

I came across a piece of 4x6 velcro in a craft store so I had the tailor use that. Overkill, yes. But since it won't be me doing the sewing every year, whatever. I also hate seeing the guys who have the bottom of their crests curling up. I even had them sew the crest to the hook side of the velcro. They did a fantastic job, except that I think they put it too high up on the shoulder rather than the chest, but I think its okay.

grclCegl.png

this looks like a referee topic... not sure what the big deal is...

Can you explain how your question is related to referee equipment?

I came across a piece of 4x6 velcro in a craft store so I had the tailor use that. Overkill, yes. But since it won't be me doing the sewing every year, whatever. I also hate seeing the guys who have the bottom of their crests curling up. I even had them sew the crest to the hook side of the velcro. They did a fantastic job, except that I think they put it too high up on the shoulder rather than the chest, but I think its okay.

That should work given you don't work any other leagues. Double-sided carpet tape has worked best for me.

grclCegl.png

I use white and black Velcro, lined up with the stripes, so that I can do different leagues.

I use white and black Velcro, lined up with the stripes, so that I can do different leagues.

Ah, cool. I don't anticipate is be doing anything other than USA hockey, and if I do I'll just buy another Jersey. No big deal.

are nhl referees required to wear visors this season? i noticed quite a few of the older guys who normally dont wear visors wearing one.. pollack, jackson, ohallouren.

I also use black and white velcro strips lined up with the jersey stripes; However, they are cut in the same shape as the USAH crest. Luckily the only other crest I ever wear is ACHA which is larger than the USAH one, so the velcro still works. Sticky-back hook velcro is on the back of the crest. I also took some of the loop sticky velcro and put it on a piece of plastic to keep my crest flat when it's not on my jersey.

Not sure if right thread but only ref one I could find.

What do you guys eat between games or before games. I have been doing a lot of 3/4 games in row (up from usually no more than 2) and by the middle of game 3, Im starving and then end up eating at McDonalds (2 big macs, 2 mcdoubles and a 10 piece) after because Im just tired and hungry

I eat a clif bar or similar every game (third of a bar per intermission). Before a game I'll have a Gatorade and a PayDay or Pearson's Nut Roll candy bar -- quick energy and delicious. Drink water between periods and a Gatorade after the game. Eat Subway (lots of veggies) or something light-ish after the game, not a gut bomb burger.

I try to have some food in my bag at all times, like a granola bar and a bottle of water. It's easier to control your food intake after a game if you bring it with you beforehand. Quick foods like fruit snacks or a chewy granola bar are good between games, especially if you have a fast turnaround. They're easy to digest and can carry you though a period or two in a pinch. Avoid hard to digest foods like beef jerky or hot dogs between games, as they'll sit in your stomach while you're active.

I eat hot dogs, granola bars, Mars bars, or Snickers between games. I also see other refs eating citrus fruits.

The 4 x 6 Velcro patch idea looks great when it is new and assuming you are wearing the matching crest. Looks kind of goofy when it is only the Velcro. I used the adhesive velco and it looks good for the first couple washings then the white looks hideous when the crest is off as mentioned above.

I started noticing a couple refs using small button snaps, near identical to the snaps for the ref bands. I have yet to find the colored ones myself but have seen them in black and white on existing clothing. The same size metal ones are a couple bucks for a dozen sets are not noticeable when more then ten feet away. That is what I will use in the fall when I re-badge.

The 4 x 6 Velcro patch idea looks great when it is new and assuming you are wearing the matching crest. Looks kind of goofy when it is only the Velcro. I used the adhesive velco and it looks good for the first couple washings then the white looks hideous when the crest is off as mentioned above.

I started noticing a couple refs using small button snaps, near identical to the snaps for the ref bands. I have yet to find the colored ones myself but have seen them in black and white on existing clothing. The same size metal ones are a couple bucks for a dozen sets are not noticeable when more then ten feet away. That is what I will use in the fall when I re-badge.

Yea I imagine the white would look bad eventually. The all black crest-shaped patch looks okay when the patch isn't attached. And if USA Hockey ever decides to change the shape, well... a stitch ripper would work just fine to remove it.

I you are doing a game and you decide you don't want your affiliation patch displayed but don't like the velcro look, why not get a USA or Canada (any other) flag patch to cover it?

I suppose that would work, though I don't see it necessary to cover up in my case. Just looks like a solid black patch, especially because the Velcro is cut into the shield shape.

Personally If I think I'd be doing a lot of non-affiliated games I'd just get a second jersey.

The answer on MSH is always "buy another."

I have eight sweaters, six pairs of skates, and five helmets.

Also, save the receipts for all your officiating gear as it's usually tax deductible if your officiating income is reported. YMMV of course and I am not your accountant.

My advice....buy another pair of skates so that you'll have a different pair for each day of the week...lol.

My advice....buy another pair of skates so that you'll have a different pair for each day of the week...lol.

I seriously considered buying another pair of skates so I wouldn't have to change the laces between playing and officiating. But, then I never actually officiated a game so... I have a bag full of ref gear in my closet I've never worn. Heh.