Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Supplemental Discpline 2013-14

How did Lapierre not get called for that...? The ref was standing RIGHT THERE. Lappy was an aggitater in the AHL, but he also played a decent skill game, in fact...he was key in Hamilton's 2007 Calder Cup...but I don't ever remember him being dirty, until he got to the NHL. He even fought in the 'A'!

I saw the STL/SJ hit tonight...I'm guessing with history taken into account 5-10 games. But, I'd be surprised if he gets more than Kaleta. He has a reputation, but not as bad (yet) as Kaleta's.

This play was a lot worse than Kaleta's. This one should be 10+

It probably should be.,..I just don't think it will be.

Agreed, there have been a few plays like that already this season and none of them have earned a response from the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xONsa4xGAzQ

I recommend muting so as to avoid listening to the douchebag Aves play-by-play guy.

Never like to see someone get hurt blah blah... but so, so consistently elevating off the ice to drill unsuspecting players I do think Kronwall got some of his own medicine. I've never seen someone turn their back midflight like he does just before contact, he certainly has perfected his style. Hope he's alright, don't really feel bad for him at all.

This play was a lot worse than Kaleta's. This one should be 10+

I don't know, you see that play happen multiple times in a game without any poor results. I think it is less of a Lapierre cheapshot and more unfortunate result. Watch the replay, Boyle straight up loses an edge and is falling just before Lapierre hits him, which puts him in a position to bite the dasher. The lateness, targeted area and intent of Kaleta's hit seems worse to me.

It would be interesting if there is a transformation the dashers similar to what happened to those stanchions following Chara on Pacioretty. That protrusion makes the impact very concentrated.

I am not sure, but doesn't the fact Kronwall brakes and changes direction in the last second contributed to this result?

That sure doesn't look like a suspension to me. Kronwall drops his head and turns back into the guy he knows is chasing him.

I don't know, you see that play happen multiple times in a game without any poor results. I think it is less of a Lapierre cheapshot and more unfortunate result. Watch the replay, Boyle straight up loses an edge and is falling just before Lapierre hits him, which puts him in a position to bite the dasher. The lateness, targeted area and intent of Kaleta's hit seems worse to me.

The fact that guys don't leave on a stretcher more often shouldn't be a factor. That should be penalized for the incredibly dangerous play that it is. When you hit a guy in the back a few feet out from the boards, there is intent (or at least a lack of respect/care).

That sure doesn't look like a suspension to me. Kronwall drops his head and turns back into the guy he knows is chasing him.

Hmm, respectively disagree. McLeod was on Kronwalls back from the faceoff dot into the corner, he never adjusted his angle to make a clean hit possible. Unless you're placing the blame on Kronwall for not turning 180 degrees so McLeod could hit him in the chest? As for dropping the head, it doesn't happen. He drops his upper body slightly but it's only a result of a hard pivoting stop while attempting to play the puck... his head does not move/duck independently before the hit.

The McLeod hit wasn't a straight on Matt Cooke style hit from behind, the problem was Kronwall's head wound up getting crushed between McLeod's body and the boards. If Kronwall had straightened up to take the contact instead of staying low to make a play with the puck then we wouldn't be talking about this today. That said, McLeod can't drill his head like that.

I can't fault a guy for playing the puck. Kronwall changed position a bit, though, but then McLeod had a chance to change his angle.

I heard Kerry Fraser say that since it's over 18 months since Lapierre has been disciplined, he doesn't qualify as a "repeat offender" under the terms of the CBA. I think the full follow-through, taking Boyle's head into the boards, will hurt him, though, or they wouldn't be looking at 5+ games.

I know this isn't NHL but damn, that idiot needs to get a lifetime suspension...

How badly was the player hurt?

I can't fault a guy for playing the puck. Kronwall changed position a bit, though, but then McLeod had a chance to change his angle.

I heard Kerry Fraser say that since it's over 18 months since Lapierre has been disciplined, he doesn't qualify as a "repeat offender" under the terms of the CBA. I think the full follow-through, taking Boyle's head into the boards, will hurt him, though, or they wouldn't be looking at 5+ games.

How badly was the player hurt?

No info about that yet. Anyway, the guy who did it got 11 games and about 57k€ fine.

kronwalls hits are way different from that one. they are from the front, and hes usually the one that turns around, kind of in an avoidance of getting an elbow into someones head. They are also usually open ice hits. This one, hes trailing kronwall, and its been a good amount of time since kronwall has looked back, and even if he turns ever so slightly in the end, i think either way it wouldve been a hit from behind, he saw numbers all the way. A guy is allowed to play the puck, you cant just turn around 180 to allow a guy to hit you cleanly.

Kronwall's hits are predatory. He hunts guys like Stevens used to and he launches up into them. I also hate how he wears his "I don't fight" visor.

Hmm, respectively disagree. McLeod was on Kronwalls back from the faceoff dot into the corner, he never adjusted his angle to make a clean hit possible. Unless you're placing the blame on Kronwall for not turning 180 degrees so McLeod could hit him in the chest? As for dropping the head, it doesn't happen. He drops his upper body slightly but it's only a result of a hard pivoting stop while attempting to play the puck... his head does not move/duck independently before the hit.

If Kronwall had played the puck around the boards and continued along behind the net, any contact would have been much less likely to result in injury. Kronwall was aware of the pursuit and attempted to surprise the forechecker by reversing his direction and going back up the boards. Kronwall drops his head as he is making that move back up the boards and into the contact. That is exactly the type of situation the "turning just prior to contact" part of the rule was intended to address.

It's funny, because McLeod's waist area is what pins Kronwall's head. He tried to adjust at the last second to Kronwall's maneuver and put himself in front of the body at contact. Kronwall can't really do anything about the height of his head at the turn, these guys are so much lower to the ice while playing than any amateurs.

It's funny, because McLeod's waist area is what pins Kronwall's head. He tried to adjust at the last second to Kronwall's maneuver and put himself in front of the body at contact. Kronwall can't really do anything about the height of his head at the turn, these guys are so much lower to the ice while playing than any amateurs.

You hit the nail on the head and end up making largely the same point that I did; Kronwall created the bad hit by his change of body position and direction immediately prior to contact.

Yep, which is why I don't really feel sorry for him. As a defenseman, and one not nearly as physical as Kronwall, you know the risk when making that play. If you're not significantly faster or quicker than that forward you're in a real sticky situation.

McLeod clearly changes direction AFTER Kronwall starts to pivot... thus the turning into the hit provision does not apply. The onus is on McLeod to not deliver a hit to the head/numbers.

McLeod clearly changes direction AFTER Kronwall starts to pivot... thus the turning into the hit provision does not apply. The onus is on McLeod to not deliver a hit to the head/numbers.

I am as big of a believer as anyone that you will find in the onus being on the guy delivering the check, but there is nothing penalty or suspension worthy in that hit.

I was watching the Avs/Wings game and the the McLeod hit really bothers me. I don't think much more can be said, but I'll add three factors that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. Contrary to the way he is perceived, I am not aware of Kronwall ever having been suspended. He looks for big hits, and he has a reputation for doing so, yet he's never been suspended. I thought the league liked and was trying to foster that kind of play. The quip about him wearing a visor might play with the Don Cherry crowd, but it doesn't play with me (or the direction the NHL is moving, like it or not). Kronwall is a hitter, not a handfull of shifts a game fighter. Criticizing him for wearing a visor is beside the point.

2. I don't know much about McLeod, but he has made just this kind of hit at least once before. That suggests a disregard for his fellow players and I hope that the league tries to make an impression on him. Here is his hit on Spurgeon from a couple of years ago. Complete recklessness, to my eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watchv=ElpuQAubMqA

3. All that said, Kronwall has taken some of the blame for the nature of the hit and cuts McLeod some slack. I think that shows tremendous class and is a reflection of the kind of guy he is and the kind of person the game attracts. The fact he'd say that before McLeod's hearing, knowing it could be used to reduce McLeod's suspension, is remarkable. http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24107785/niklas-kronwall-feels-better-blames-himself-for-hit-that-put-him-on-stretcher