Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Philadelphia Flyers 2013-14

a smart GM would look at the last 5 seasons and not the entire career, which would be a complete waste of time. this isnt even sabremetrics stuff. here we have an aging player with declining skills who plays less and less every year, has lower scoring totals, costs a lot, and will only get worse each successive year. and then guys like you try and absolve the GM of any culpability by saying "Flyers need a GM who can make sure no top six forwards get injured." of course you can by not signing older players with a history of missing games. man, this isnt hard stuff. so now they have two older, declining guys on long term deals with NTC's. its bad mgmt period.

thats like signing jimmy rollins to a long term deal. oops, i forgot, they did!

I might have given Holmgren too much rope, he'll be gone before Thanksgiving. I wonder if a team has ever fired 2 coaches in the same season before.

I'm never sure how much of Holmgren's 'gut instinct' routine is patter for the cameras, but it's kind of alarming. I have to ask, though, as someone with little connection to the Flyers, is the problem really in front-line hockey operations, or in the boardroom?

The problem starts with the owner. He showed it during Berube's intro presser when he became defensive to a new guy asking him about the 'successful' culture. I really don't see the Flyers going anywhere until Ed moves on in one shape or form.

I'm never sure how much of Holmgren's 'gut instinct' routine is patter for the cameras, but it's kind of alarming. I have to ask, though, as someone with little connection to the Flyers, is the problem really in front-line hockey operations, or in the boardroom?

I think people largely can't accept a mediocre Flyers team, especially when there is high-end talent and promising young players. It is unfamiliar territory, this iteration will of course still sign free agents (because why not), but is geared towards serious contention about three to four years from now when there can be clearer evaluation of defense and goaltending prospects. This flux can probably be traced to the end of Pronger's career. It really cannot be understated how much he did for this team.

This flux can probably be traced to the end of Pronger's career. It really cannot be understated how much he did for this team.

It was impressive to see how much better he made the blueline which in turn made the goaltending better. I just hope they don't rush Morin.

Well I hope no prospect is hurried, but some guys can play young and some can't. Regardless of when he arrives in the NHL he won't be able to do what Pronger could. A great subtle Pronger benefit was the leeway he was granted by officials. No incoming player, and few current players, have that privilege.

It's just the inverse of top offensive players being able to draw penalties easier than others. Man, the stick-work, roughing and clutching he could manage was beautiful.

The second part of The Downie Era begins tonight. Great Flyers trade.

lol, hope springs eternal in Philly. Then again, early tee times seem to be a rite of spring as well.

What Emery did was just an embarrassment and flies in the face of the argument for fighting. Over/under on how long Berube lasts behind the bench?

What Emery did was just an embarrassment and flies in the face of the argument for fighting. Over/under on how long Berube lasts behind the bench?

Agree completely. And, that 3rd period seems to have been a revolt against team leadership as much as against the Caps.

As long as Holmgren is the GM or until the end of the season.

Ed Snider: this is on your hands.

Karma is a real bitch sometimes.

Flyers problems are simple: super slow blue line play. It hurts everything they do. Their forwards have to play super saggy to help out down low, opening up the points and making breakouts tougher. Notice how often their breakouts look more like a plea just to get the puck out if the zone with little chance to transition to offense. Then heaven forbid there is a quick turnover of any sort. As soon as that happens the D are incredibly vulnerable and can't slow the play down at all. They're at a huge disadvantage coming back 2v2 and since they've gone "bigger" up front, they don't have the backchecking prowess of quicker forwards. They have a bunch of #3 or #4 defenseman, but no #1. They know this, and it's why they went after Webber so hard two years ago. The Pronger loss has truly been devastating. The D is so bad that they can no longer play fun, open hockey. They are now resigned to try and win every game 1 to 0. Works against a team like NJ, who has as much offense as my beer league team, but they won't be able to score enough to be consistently competitive...

Wow, just saw the Emery "fight." About as classless as it gets- fight rape.