Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jordan

Graf MCI Series

From what I've read on this board, the release date for top of the line MCI's has been pushed back, however I've seen the mid-level MCI's on totalhockey.com so if anyone has skated on them it's gonna be those models.

They are a nice skate. We've sold quite a few of the 5035 and 7035 models and people are very happy with them. I expect the high end versions to be very nice if they come out in the spring as they're supposed to.

I personally have not skated on them though so cannot give you personal experience which I know is what you're really looking for.

I've tried on the 9035 in a mid-stiff boot, but didn't get to skate on them. Felt fantastic right out of the box. Feels similar to a typical 35 fit but slightly deeper. I'd have to have the Graf rep verify that, but that's my opinion.

The Graf Ultra 9035 MCI (75 flex) is the best skate I've ever owned. I baked them once in store when I bought them and I was broken in and settled into them after about 10 minutes of hard skating. They feel amazing, I have really flat feet and find that they give me more comfort and support than any skates I've owned before. I couldn't recommend them more.

If you go to a shop and they feel like the right fit ABSOLUTELY pull the trigger. But obviously make sure the boot fits your foot first. If it does, the support they provide is fantastic and I feel like I'm skating really strongly in them.

I used to skate on Bauer Supreme One90s so I can't speak to Bauer's current skates which I know are lighter than those. I did try on the APX2s in the shop when I was choosing between that and the 9035s and honestly it's very close. The Grafs are lighter than they used to be (I tried on Supras back in 2007 when I got the One90s).

It felt very very close in terms of weight but the Grafs were considerably more comfortable. Again, fit obviously comes down to comfort/your foot but I have found them to be more comfortable than the Bauer's I've owned in the past and I found them to be more comfortable than the APX2. in terms of performance I've never felt like i was getting more out of my skate than I am out of the Graf Ultra 9035.

Part of this could be the 7 years off from playing, but I did try out the APX2 because I always had bought Bauers in the past. I was sold on the Grafs instantly upon trying them on and baking them. The shop also said that this new line of Graf can be baked many times which is why they allowed me to try them on baked.

If you are considering them I say just go try them on. For me with my flat feet the fit is perfect and the performance has been stellar. If Bauers fit your foot better go with those. If you're going by weight I really don't think you'll notice a major weight difference between the Graf Ultra 9035 and the Bauer APX2, honestly. I'm a total convert and no I don't work for Graf!

I tried them on and they were very comfortable. I am a 10.5 Bauer Total one. I tried on an 11 and 11.5. The 11.5 had the depth I needed but felt to big. I am not sure what size to buy.

I will go back and try on both. I will surely buy a pair if I can figure out the size.

I hated the stock foot beds. They kept sliding forward when trying on the skates

I tried them on and they were very comfortable. I am a 10.5 Bauer Total one. I tried on an 11 and 11.5. The 11.5 had the depth I needed but felt to big. I am not sure what size to buy.

I will go back and try on both. I will surely buy a pair if I can figure out the size.

I hated the stock foot beds. They kept sliding forward when trying on the skates

Don't buy a boot a 1/2 size up to fix a volume issue. Always buy a boot that is the right length then fix the volume issue next. Some would say don't buy the boot if the volume doesn't work but sometimes the boot may be the only one you have tried that fits the rest of your foot shape. Volume can be addressed many ways these days, aside from a custom boot there are lace bite pads, new tongues, 55flex, Peter Forsberg pad, OptionB, different laces, lace patterns.....

I only have the volume issue on the left foot so I will go with the smaller size. I think with a bake it will set my foot deeper and will be fine.

Yes I should add that Superfeet are a must with these, IMO. I swapped those out for the stock bed and it made a world of difference.

Saw the MCI line on the Graf website...anyone skated them yet?

I went from 735's to the 9035's. Both regular in width. I do not have the ankle lock in 9035's that I had in the 735's. I have skated on the 9035's 8 times hoping it would lock in and so far it is not. I did bake them once. Would baking a second time help? The 9035's are VERY comfortable and much lighter than the 735's but that heel lock is killing me.

Bake again and skate on them some more. I only needed 1 bake and about 10 minutes of my first skate to lock in (my left foot was perfectly locked after the baking but my right foot had to settle in). These boots are designed to be able to be baked a number of times if necessary without degrading the boot.

I went from 735's to the 9035's. Both regular in width. I do not have the ankle lock in 9035's that I had in the 735's. I have skated on the 9035's 8 times hoping it would lock in and so far it is not. I did bake them once. Would baking a second time help? The 9035's are VERY comfortable and much lighter than the 735's but that heel lock is killing me.

Bake again and skate on them some more. I only needed 1 bake and about 10 minutes of my first skate to lock in (my left foot was perfectly locked after the baking but my right foot had to settle in). These boots are designed to be able to be baked a number of times if necessary without degrading the boot.

I had them baked again and skated another 6 times. My heel is still not locking in. As a matter of fact as the game progresses my heel gets progressively looser even after retightening during game. Very frustrating

dang that's too bad. I was having an issue with lock and my skates getting a bit loose as they broke in so i've had to switch to shins out rather than tucked in to get the proper fit. On my right foot (the one that didn't initially lock) the lock was also remedied by lacing a bit differently. Was a technique I read about on some site. I laced all the way to the top normally, tightening as i got up the boot, and then on the top eyelets putting the laces in from the outside in rather that pushing them through normally from the inside out. This did the trick. After that the boot feel and heel lock have been fantastic. I hope maybe trying that helps. But yeah my initial love of the skate got a little worrisome when I had the loosening up issue that you are also having. Give the alternate lacing a try. I'm hoping my issues are finally remedied because I really do love the skate.

I had them baked again and skated another 6 times. My heel is still not locking in. As a matter of fact as the game progresses my heel gets progressively looser even after retightening during game. Very frustrating

dang that's too bad. I was having an issue with lock and my skates getting a bit loose as they broke in so i've had to switch to shins out rather than tucked in to get the proper fit. On my right foot (the one that didn't initially lock) the lock was also remedied by lacing a bit differently. Was a technique I read about on some site. I laced all the way to the top normally, tightening as i got up the boot, and then on the top eyelets putting the laces in from the outside in rather that pushing them through normally from the inside out. This did the trick. After that the boot feel and heel lock have been fantastic. I hope maybe trying that helps. But yeah my initial love of the skate got a little worrisome when I had the loosening up issue that you are also having. Give the alternate lacing a try. I'm hoping my issues are finally remedied because I really do love the skate.

Still no heel lock....I will try baking again today. I tried a few different lacing techniques but it did not help. If baking again does not work I am giving up on the 9035's

I went back to the store that I bought my 9035's to ask if anything could be done regarding the lack of heel lock. The salesperson who has the same foot size tried my pair on and said the heel area felt very big. I went and tried on some other models (G75, 735, 705 and 8035) They all locked my heel in place and felt nice and snug. I am hoping to meet with the Graf rep at the store. Maybe this pair was mismarked or made wrong or something. It seems odd the other skates did not give me this problem.

any other thoughts about the g9035's from others who have skated them?

I just ordered 9reg and 9wide 85 flexes. I've been looking for 75 flex but can't find them anywhere in my size. LHS does not even have size 9's available.

I called total hockey and they said that graf does not make the 9035 in 75 flex in size 9.0. Any truth?

Adamkesher, what size do you wear such that you have a 75 flex?