Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrgretzky99

BlackEdge or Step Steel for new Tuuk Edge Holders

NO, the new steel for that holder is proprietary and Bauer has no plans on licensing the design. I think they are offering an option similar to the two you are asking about.

NO, the new steel for that holder is proprietary and Bauer has no plans on licensing the design. I think they are offering an option similar to the two you are asking about.

Really? How would that work? The LS2's are in abundance for both StepSteel and BlackEdge. That doesn't sound right. Everything for Tuuk is proprietary. Tuuk is the only holder that can secure a blade on the inside yet the Plus and LS2's are available from secondary manufacturers.

When ls edge was first released, Bauer specifically said that it would not be allowing 3rd-party manufacturers to produce replacement runners. Sure, it's a simple matter of buying a set of bauer steel and tracing out the shape. But step and blackedge would run the risk of lawsuits. So it won't be happening in the near future.

Now, about Bauer producing equivalent coated steel runners, I'm not sure where SirJW heard this but it sounds exciting! JR, any idea of this is even remotely plausible?

They changed their policy? I was told by someone at the Pro Shop I go to in El Segundo, CA. I also think it has been mentioned in other threads about the new holder.

OK, thanks guys. I was just wondering before I went and spent another $80 on LS3's for my Edge holders. I have synthetic ice in my basement and a Blackstone X02 to keep blades sharp constantly and just wanted another pair for my edge holders that were blackedge so if I missed a sharpening I would have a set ready to go. I will just bite the bullet and buy a second set of LS3's so I always have a set ready for practices or games. I prefer the BlackEdge and wanted to wait if they were coming out soon. Thanks again.

They changed their policy? I was told by someone at the Pro Shop I go to in El Segundo, CA. I also think it has been mentioned in other threads about the new holder.

Are you referring to the proprietary aspect or the availability of Blackedge and Stepsteel for Tuuk Edge holders? I didn't search for information about patents and Bauer's rules.

Now, about Bauer producing equivalent coated steel runners, I'm not sure where SirJW heard this but it sounds exciting! JR, any idea of this is even remotely plausible?

As of 2014, no plans to.

Really? How would that work? The LS2's are in abundance for both StepSteel and BlackEdge. That doesn't sound right. Everything for Tuuk is proprietary. Tuuk is the only holder that can secure a blade on the inside yet the Plus and LS2's are available from secondary manufacturers.

They're well within their right to enforce it, which they're doing now.

OK, thanks guys. I was just wondering before I went and spent another $80 on LS3's for my Edge holders. I have synthetic ice in my basement and a Blackstone X02 to keep blades sharp constantly and just wanted another pair for my edge holders that were blackedge so if I missed a sharpening I would have a set ready to go. I will just bite the bullet and buy a second set of LS3's so I always have a set ready for practices or games. I prefer the BlackEdge and wanted to wait if they were coming out soon. Thanks again.

Are you referring to the proprietary aspect or the availability of Blackedge and Stepsteel for Tuuk Edge holders? I didn't search for information about patents and Bauer's rules.

Not really sure what you are asking. Pretty sure your main question has been answered.

Not really sure what you are asking. Pretty sure your main question has been answered.

I was just referring to search key words. It doesn't matter, sorry for the confusion. I'm all set. THanks.

Which is enough to keep me from getting Edge holders on either my sons's or my skates.

Personally I would go with the Step or BE myself. I did not like the BE so much at first but have found if someone doesn't want a huge profile change it can work very very well. I have one customer gets about 25 to 30 skates per sharpening. I do have to cross grind one to two passes as they are chewed up but hey are fine with a few passes after. And my cross grinds are very light and make no alterations to the profile so probably won't have to adjust the profile till next summer. His brother has Step in his Grafs and they are holding up for about 20 hours but he doesn't play hard at all. So i both pairs once every 4 to 5 weeks.

Edge with LS3 I have had the least amount of issues with myself personally.

Can you sharpen your Edge Skates with the Blackstone holder? I cannot seem to fit my APX2s into my holder from blackstone

Both my sons use the Blackedge runners in their Tuuks and I actually have the Step Blacksteel in my Tuuks, my kids noticed a difference when I put them in their skates, they actually hold an edge longer. I have the Wissota sharpener and it sharpens both sets of steel with no issues.

As for the new Tuuk runners I talked to a Step Steel rep and they are waiting to see if the new Tuuks take off....I'm guessing 50/50 as the QuikBlade designed by Wally Tatomir was actually the first holder of it's kind designed about 5 years ago or so, so I would thinkthey would have some type of legal resource against Bauer.

Both my sons use the Blackedge runners in their Tuuks and I actually have the Step Blacksteel in my Tuuks, my kids noticed a difference when I put them in their skates, they actually hold an edge longer. I have the Wissota sharpener and it sharpens both sets of steel with no issues.

As for the new Tuuk runners I talked to a Step Steel rep and they are waiting to see if the new Tuuks take off....I'm guessing 50/50 as the QuikBlade designed by Wally Tatomir was actually the first holder of it's kind designed about 5 years ago or so, so I would thinkthey would have some type of legal resource against Bauer.

Interesting point however I believe that its the locking mechanism of the steel and the holder that is the patent. not that it is a locking blade with no screws. I really like Wally's idea with Quick blade as it allows for Step to be used! Clarkson has been on them since last year.

They're on every Vapor skate, and now soon to be on every other Bauer skate. I'd say they have taken off.

Wally didn't design QuikBlade.

http://www.quikblade.com/the-quikblade-team/

Clarkson has been on them since last year.

Nope

David%2BClarkson%2BToronto%2BMaple%2BLea

620-clarkson-blog-131025-thumb-620xauto-

So am I looking at the Colombus player who has the new runners or Clarkson who is wearing the lightspeed tuuk? I wouldn't say they've taken off when bauer doesn't give you the option on the newer model skates they are putting out. Whether Wally designed them or not they are basically the same concept, just because bauer saturate the market and forces buys the little guy out doesn't make their stuff the cats meow

Sorry, but whatever "rep" you spoke to fed you a line of BS.

The LS Edge is on the skate brand with the biggest market share, which means that IF Step offered runners right now, they would sell. But no...they're just waiting to see if it's going to take off.

Riiiight.

The simple answer is that they can't make them.

Jeff Skinner is another who was using QuikBlade - he's not anymore.

462534871_slide.jpg

Typically specialized holders do not gain much traction at the NHL level because equipment managers want something that is going to work and make their lives easier. That all being said, I'm pretty surprised to see the adoption across the league - not because I don't think it's a bad product, but EQMs are usually resistant to change.

The statement is pointless and just an attempt to keep people interested. I assume BlackEdge is waiting around too? :rolleyes:

Step already sells replacement steel for CCM's SB 4.0; because there isn't a patent to get around. I sharpened a pair the other day.

I don't get why this is too hard to understand; the vast majority of Step's sales is steel that fits LS2. None of the Vapor line that came out in 2013 have LS2 holders anymore; and in 2014 it'll only be an aftermarket option.

I had never heard of that company until you mentioned it, which is telling, because it's rare something like that flies under my radar.

Then again, it's probably why they've been able to get away with it. Do I believe Step's made a set? Absolutely. But they can't bring it to market.

I may order a set for my MX3s before they get taken off.

I had never heard of that company until you mentioned it, which is telling, because it's rare something like that flies under my radar.

Then again, it's probably why they've been able to get away with it. Do I believe Step's made a set? Absolutely. But they can't bring it to market.

Hey JR, any clue as to who these guys are? Never heard of them, but I'm tempted to get a set. Cheers

It appears they got taken off. You called it.

Any news on this lately? I always get the new Supreme's. I was really looking forward to trying Bauer's new holder, but I love my Step Blacksteel. I don't understand why Bauer didn't just buy Step or work out a deal with them. Could have used some of the money they wasted buying Cascade. Maybe I'll end up throwing SB4.0's on my MX3's.