Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

Lie - stick length or your height more relevant?

I've used the p88, p92, w14 and e28

All work good enough cept for the p92. And sometimes I have issues with e28.

Maybe cause those are more open I have passes go under the toe. If I was taller I may get more blade on ice. Seems to me lower lies are suited more for short dudes like me vs stick length.

They're all related, and I'll throw in technique and form as well into the mix. In a perfect world, everyone should be able to take into account all factors into selecting the right length, curve and lie in relation to their size, technique and preferences. However, more often than not, people seem to zero in on one thing as a source of a problem and not looking at how it all works together.

Aireaye is right.

I "thought" i didnt like the 5.5 lie of the Easton E3 curve (having switched from a lower lie). However i soon realized that I hadnt cut the stick to where i felt natural.. low and behold once I had everything was right in the my world lol!

They're all related, and I'll throw in technique and form as well into the mix. In a perfect world, everyone should be able to take into account all factors into selecting the right length, curve and lie in relation to their size, technique and preferences. However, more often than not, people seem to zero in on one thing as a source of a problem and not looking at how it all works together.

Exactly, there is no magic formula. More often than not, your form (upright or hunched) and preference for stick length (and hand position) will dictate what lie will work best for you. Using a different lie will require a change in one of the other factors.

I came to an epiphany about all this yesterday. I currently have a W14 warrior and E28 Easton. According to Warrior, both are the same lie. Anyway, I used to keep them cut to my nose in regular shoes, to my chin in skates. Recently I cut about 2 inches off. I do like the feel, but I've been missing some passes because obviously a shorter stick means it's closer to your body so i was off a little. I played pick up yesterday and by the end I was dead tired so no knee bend. stick was even closer to me. then I was way off.

So yes, I think a lot of people focus solely on the lie, but lie, stick length, your height, if you skate upright or knees bent, carrying the puck far or close all come into play.

I feel like the lie on these blades is ok for me, but I think I need a shorter stick for the beginning of games and a longer one for when I get tired.

I don't think I need to go to a higher lie like a P92 though. when i played with those I always felt like the toe was way up off the ice.

Quick stick length+lie question that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around at the moment..

I have two shaft/blade combos, one with an Easton E3/Hall pattern, the other with an Easton E4/Cammalleri pattern.

Both setups measure identically at 60.5", measured from the top of the butt end to the bottom of each blade's heel.

However, when I stand them up side by side, the lower lie E4 combo measures about 1" taller.

WHY would that be? I'm assuming it has something to do with the different lie angles?

If anyone could explain, that'd be great, thx in advance.

Stand the sticks on the butt end and you should be able to see exactly why there is a difference.

I've used the p88, p92, w14 and e28

All work good enough cept for the p92. And sometimes I have issues with e28.

Maybe cause those are more open I have passes go under the toe. If I was taller I may get more blade on ice. Seems to me lower lies are suited more for short dudes like me vs stick length.

I don't think its necessarily the openness of the curve that is the issue. I think its more so the rocker, which you can learn to adapt to by closing the face of your blade when receiving a pass.

Stand the sticks on the butt end and you should be able to see exactly why there is a difference.

Chadd, the difference is caused by the different blade profiles, right? E3's rockered profile vs the E4's flat profile?

No, the biggest difference is because they are different lies and blade lengths, the profile on the bottom will play almost no part in that.