Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

2014 CCM Tacks Skates

I just bought my Tacks this past weekend. Wound up with the 5052. I didn't feel or notice much difference over the 6052. And the top of the line Tacks are over my pay grade. Skated in them and they feel great. I definitely felt more explosive and more in control in my turning and cutting.

I do plan on getting the CCM medium arch insole. I used the CCM footbed that showed that's what my arch is. And you can always pick up hyperglide runners for about $70.

Amazing how many NHL players are skating in them right now. It seems like 4-5 on each team. The RBZ definitely didn't have that kind of presence and still doesn't.

Amazing how many NHL players are skating in them right now. It seems like 4-5 on each team. The RBZ definitely didn't have that kind of presence and still doesn't.

True. I've skated in both flagship models of the RBZs and Tacks and the Tacks imho is just a better all around, better crafted skate. To me, there is a significant difference in feel, fit, performance of the Tacks over the RBZs.

With that said, could be all about how CCM pushes their products/sponsorships on their players. However, I do find it interesting that in the RBZ promos, the players just comment on how good looking the skate is, but in the Tacks promos, they're actually using the skates.

Any trouble switching holders?

Hey Adam14, no trouble. they 'almost' lined up in terms of hole pattern being very close between the holders but of course they wont due to the variance in outsole shape etc. I also had a 2mm lift added. I haven't skated on them yet, will let you know. Also if you'd like to see a shot of how the holes lined up I can do that. Thanks

photo1.jpg just put ls edge runners on, look forward to trying these out!

skates looks dope. the accents color on your tacks, is that photoshop? that gold/orange color looks way better than the yellow/green imo.

skates looks dope. the accents color on your tacks, is that photoshop? that gold/orange color looks way better than the yellow/green imo.

Yep, photoshop. I pulled it off my instagram so it got filtered at some point along the way. thanks for the comment!

Just out of curiosity...anyone try a pair of D vs EE in the same size on the Tacks? Want to know if it is indeed wider throughout the entire boot and at what proportions.

I felt more comfortable in a EE over a D because of more room in the toe box. My pinky toe wasn't rubbing tight. It feels wider to me from mid arch forward. Heel felt about the same. Although I think I get better heel lock out of the EE.

What's been peoples experience getting these skates baked? I took mine to get baked the other day and they didn't really seem to mould all that much, but I'm not sure if that's just how the higher end skates are, or if the Graf oven the store used doesn't get hot enough to make them pliable.

What's been peoples experience getting these skates baked? I took mine to get baked the other day and they didn't really seem to mould all that much, but I'm not sure if that's just how the higher end skates are, or if the Graf oven the store used doesn't get hot enough to make them pliable.

I found the exact opposite. I thought the Tacks felt ok out of the box, but not nearly as good as other skates. (which alas didn't fit me completely). So the LHS agreed to let me try them baked before I bought, and it was a huge difference, basically night & day. The Tacks are extremely heat moldable (throughout the entire boot except the toe cap) - well at least the high end ones are. Really felt like a glove after baked.

The top of the line Tacks are on sale for $399 at Pro Hockey Life in Canada right now. This is surprising since it's a current model top end skate. They have other skates on sale at or around the $400 mark (RBZ, Nexus 1000, TotalOne NXG - $424), but those aren't surprising since they're all models that have been or will be replaced shortly.

That's a pretty good deal on Tacks for those interested in that skate right now, but it also makes one wonder if they're selling well if they're already being offered for 50% off the MSRP in Canada.

I've been on them for about 3 months now with the medium insoles and these are the most comfortable skates that I've worn since my s17's. Had to make a slight adjustment as I felt the tongue was a bit stiff and too short. Apart from that absolutely no complaints.

30a5bp5.jpg

The top of the line Tacks are on sale for $399 at Pro Hockey Life in Canada right now.

Half price for a skate that just came out this past August. So much for the resurrection of the "Tacks" name. :rolleyes:

The top of the line Tacks are on sale for $399 at Pro Hockey Life in Canada right now. This is surprising since it's a current model top end skate. They have other skates on sale at or around the $400 mark (RBZ, Nexus 1000, TotalOne NXG - $424), but those aren't surprising since they're all models that have been or will be replaced shortly.

That's a pretty good deal on Tacks for those interested in that skate right now, but it also makes one wonder if they're selling well if they're already being offered for 50% off the MSRP in Canada.

Where do you see that sale? Link? I only see the top model of Tacks at $799.99 on their site.