Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SillyMe

Extra Stick at PU?

I feel like an idiot, but I'm gonna start PU hockey, and was wondering where to put my backup stick.

I'm assuming I should definitely bring one with me ( I have back ups).

Behind the bench/Locker room?

I've seen reference to people saying other guys used their stick without permission, which makes me think that most guys bring a spare and put it behind the bench.

Stupid question I'm sure, but tomorrow will be my 1st game in over 35 years.

Thanks!

I don't usually bring one. For games I always have three (two of the same model, and one of a different model just to switch up if desired). But for pickup, I figure if I break a stick, I'll just go home rather than risk breaking a second one ;)

Seriously?

That would really suck if I got a slash/skate on blade breakage real early in the game, and I had to leave because I was too stupid to have a stick handy, I mean, I'll still spending $10-20 to play that night.

Thanks

Well I've been playing for 3 years and only ever had one broken stick, so I'm not especially concerned about it. It's only 20 bucks, who cares? I figure if I have a stick broken it's just not my night.

If you are concerned about people just using your stick without permission, then keep it in a stick bag. I would think it to be pretty rare that a stick ganker would open a stick bag that is not his, prior to using your stick (absent permission). Then leave it behind the bench.

i always just put mine behind the bench. no one has used it without my permission. I like to bring two because sometimes in pickup or drop in with fewer people, the constant ice time etc can rip my tape and i dont have time to re-tape, plus I use different sticks when I play up or back so it gives me the opportunity to switch it up if needed.

I never gave it any thought when I was in Peewees, cuz it was "our" bench.

I certainly don't wanna turn around and see my BU stick being used, cuz it would really piss me off, and I'm not sure I wouldn't lose my cool and do something stupid.

Like I said, it may be a stupid question, but 1 I wanted to get opinions/experiences on.

I wanna have fun,and not have to be concerned with nonsense.

I don't have a stick bag, do alot of guys even carry 1 of those, even to pu?

Thanks again guys.

I always bring an extra stick to pickup and often switch sticks half way through. I keep my backup stick in the penalty box beside the bench usually. No one has ever touched it or used it without permission.

I usually keep the sticks in current rotation in a stick bag. it makes carrying more than one a lot easier and I never have to figure out where they are.

I bring an extra and keep it on the bench, I'm not a stick breaker so I've never needed it but it's a just incase thing. Never had trouble with guys taking it without permission.

yeah, id play with a junk backup that i dont care if someone else would use before i would play without a backup and just leave if i broke a stick, broken sticks happen, be prepared.

Ok cool, I'll do what I figured and bring it to the bench.

Read some stuff in the "shinny pet peeves" thread that concerned me us all (think that's where I read it).

Thanks guys

I leave my backup in the locker room but not for any good reason mind you. If someone took my stick I'd just ask for it back.

Things tend to disappear from locker rooms, that's the worst place to leave things around here.

We had our dressing room broken into at an arena once, they went through all of our wallets. I've only ever had one stick go missing and that was my backup at a ball hockey game. It was on the bench at the start of the game but not at the end.

Yeah, I was figuring on leaving my wallet at home, and my cell phone in my locked glovey.

People went through locker rooms even back in the day...bullshit.

Yeah, I was figuring on leaving my wallet at home, and my cell phone in my locked glovey.

People went through locker rooms even back in the day...bullshit.

yeah i leave all my stuff in the car. luckily one of the places i pickup at is right next door to the police station =)

I never bring an extra stick, but I know people who do. Most leave their extra on the bench or just off the ice or on the stick racks outside the dressing rooms. (most of the rinks here are like 2, 3 steps to the lockers anyway). I haven't heard of anyone filching someone else's extra stick. We did have a problem at the half-rink (no dressing rooms) with one of the under-agers & his friends riffling through people's stuff and stealing, so now everyone keeps valuables in their cars.

Mostly, people will try stealing your water, apparently.

Wow, never had problems with my stick, wallet, or water bottle.

I leave my stick in the rack outside the locker room.
Wallet usually in my pocket - pants hanging on the hook or stuffed under the bench.

Unattended beer tends to get consumed, though!

(Seems like a lot more beer is consumed during drop-in, usually not until after for leagues).