Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisehyoung

Getting my skates profiled

I just dropped my skates off at National Sports to have them profiled. I found that going from my Bauer Supreme One70s to Reebok 18Ks that I feel like i'm back on my heels when I skate. He's putting a +1 pitch on them and going to slightly smaller radius. I will keep you posted on the results. I've also gone to a 100/50 FBV due to the super hard ice i've been playing on.

First skate tonight and I definitely noticed a difference. It wasn't huge but I felt way more comfortable. I felt like I was skating a little faster due to the forward pitch. I felt like I was in a more natural skating position. I also felt like I had better mobility laterally. Overall i'm happy with the results so far. I think with a little more tweaking (very little) i'll be happier with the new skates. I'm going to give them a couple more skates before making any further adjustments.

I have new steel on the way and I'm gonna have the guys do some tricks also. I also feel like I'm flat footed with these apx I have been in since 2011. I miss the way my grafs put me on my toes so I'm gonna have do whatever they need to do

First skate tonight and I definitely noticed a difference. It wasn't huge but I felt way more comfortable. I felt like I was skating a little faster due to the forward pitch. I felt like I was in a more natural skating position. I also felt like I had better mobility laterally. Overall i'm happy with the results so far. I think with a little more tweaking (very little) i'll be happier with the new skates. I'm going to give them a couple more skates before making any further adjustments.

Great to hear they did a good job!

Did you notice a big difference with the radius or do you think it was more the pitch? The Reeboks are 10'and Bauer 9'radius right?

I felt like I was in a more natural skating position with a forward lean. I would say the pitch made the bigger of the differences. Though I did also feel like I was turning a little better too.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but didn't see the point in starting another profiling discussion. I recently bought a pair of skates fro ma guy who skated in them once and had them profiled for a forward lean. I didn't really care for the pitch, and the guy at my LHS took some off the back of the steel to compensate. Now I have the feeling of being on my heels and of-balance much of the time. Is there a way, or machine, that can scan the blade instead of sate guys just eyeballing? I have never had a profiled skate before and would like to just get it back to stock/neutral but without having to just go trial and error by shaving some off and then skating.

There are a couple of places that I would trust to put a profile on my blades, No Icing and Zwickers. I would recommend going to one of them and asking for a neutral 9' or 10' profile and then you can adjust from there based on what you feel.

Anyone here tried one of these flat middle profiles (i.e. 10'/60mm flat/10') that No-Icing is offering? I usually just use a 10' profile but am really curious about this. What's the advantage?

Noicing is around 1.5 hrs north of me, so I am considering ordering a new/ extra set of Elite runners (I have Easton RS skates), so I can keep a spare set always sharpened, and not have to worry about hacks doing an awful job.
They don't just sell steel though, you have to order a custom radius, and tbo I don't know anything about that....emailed them for the questionaire.
As far as ordering new runners, the Easton Elite runners are supposedly a high grade SS(according to noicing description), and they cost more $ than the Step steel.
Should I order the same Elite runners as I have now instead of Step steel?
They will feel exactly the same if I order the Elites, but if the Step is better (AND cheaper) I don't see the point.

Thanks

I love doing the mail order sharpening through them. Having a fresh sharpening every other game is awesome. Always knowing you can have full confidence in your edges makes all the difference in the world.

I think they will sell you just steel without custom radius if you plan to do a mail order steel rotation with them, but I'm not sure on that.

I knew my local sharpening guy wasn't great, thought he was OK though, but when I got my new steel from No-Icing... No wonder I felt a bit off; and the other blade is completely mismatched from this messed up one, so I was skating on two different profiles and pitches, awesome... I will be sending the old ones back for a tune up and all subsequent sharpenings.

IMG_20140220_163129946.jpg

Noicing is around 1.5 hrs north of me, so I am considering ordering a new/ extra set of Elite runners (I have Easton RS skates), so I can keep a spare set always sharpened, and not have to worry about hacks doing an awful job.

They don't just sell steel though, you have to order a custom radius, and tbo I don't know anything about that....emailed them for the questionaire.

As far as ordering new runners, the Easton Elite runners are supposedly a high grade SS(according to noicing description), and they cost more $ than the Step steel.

Should I order the same Elite runners as I have now instead of Step steel?

They will feel exactly the same if I order the Elites, but if the Step is better (AND cheaper) I don't see the point.

Thanks

I have eq skates and was going to do the same. Im going for a solid runner for my heavy weight but if the solid Easton runners are just as good as step (i doubt it though) I'll go that way.

I don't have the solid runners, I have the scalloped, but I only weigh 140lbs, so not sure how much it matters in my case. I did fall a couple of times the other night while trying to change direction quickly, but that's probably just not being used to stopping/starting so quickly due to not playing hockey in 35 years. I actually filled out the questionaire last night, but not sure what to order for steel....really don't wanna spend 130 on Velocity....taxes went way up this year.

Now that i've skated on this profile job a few times i'm actually contemplating getting another +1 forward pitch put on them. I'm a little concerned it may be too much though. Any thoughts?

jimmy stated that the Step steel wasn't necessarily better than the Easton Elite steel.

Unless I misunderstood him.

have a meeting at 10:30,then I think I'm gonna head up and see him, and at least get a sharpen.

I have eq skates and was going to do the same. Im going for a solid runner for my heavy weight but if the solid Easton runners are just as good as step (i doubt it though) I'll go that way.

Did more than get a sharpen, bought an extra set of steel, and did a combo radius ( 8/12 ) with FBV.........

Tomorrow should be interesting!

Update:

Have only skated on them once, for around 1.5 hrs...on hard/bumpy ice.

Was very concerned when I stepped on the ice (never had radius or FBV), but took off immediately, and had zero issues adjusting to either.

Glide seemed better, and I seemed to have an easier time turning.

Acceleration was np either.

Very happy with the changes so far, and I figure it'll just get better as I demand more of them while playing hockey and figuring out/getting more accustomed to what the changes offer. Does feel a bit weird while just standing there, as the skate can move unless you turn/angle the skate a tiny bit, as the flat portion just wants to glide...not a problem at all, and was something that Bob made me aware of when he did the FBV. Used to have a 1/2" ROH, and had zero issues going to a 100/50 FBV. As I use them more, and have better conditions, I'm sure I'll appreciate FBV even more.

Update:

...Very happy with the changes so far, and I figure it'll just get better as I demand more of them while playing hockey and figuring out/getting more accustomed to what the changes offer. Does feel a bit weird while just standing there, as the skate can move unless you turn/angle the skate a tiny bit, as the flat portion just wants to glide...not a problem at all, and was something that Bob made me aware of when he did the FBV. Used to have a 1/2" ROH, and had zero issues going to a 100/50 FBV. As I use them more, and have better conditions, I'm sure I'll appreciate FBV even more.

backwards skating, stopping, maneuvers ?

Didn't have any issues with any of those, even though I was specifically asked if I was gonna be playing defense.

I'm guessing there are different profiles for position, but I skated back/forward/stops/turns without issue the minute I stepped on the ice.

Now that i've skated on this profile job a few times i'm actually contemplating getting another +1 forward pitch put on them. I'm a little concerned it may be too much though. Any thoughts?

I only use aggresive pitch for my steel. I love it ... but YMMV

My 10yo son, who's a more than decent player, outgrew his Sz 2.5 Vapor XXXX (1/2 ROH, factory profile) and I decided to take a leap of faith and get his next pair profiled + FBV. I found a pair of brand new Sz 3.5 Easton S15 ($40 on ebay) and at first I was going to save them since I have a pair of Sz 3 X:40 waiting in line. But for some reasons, the X:40 didn't fit my son and the S15 did (they run small?). He's been a Bauer guy since 5yo and now he's going Easton... Anyhow I decided to send the blades out to No-Icing.

After I answered the questionaire, No-Icing (Jimmy) recommended a Combo Radius: 8/12', Medium Forward Pitch, FBV 9/16 (100/50). The turnaround time was truly incredible. The first time he tried them on, without baking, he didn't last too long on the ice as his feet were killing him. But right away, he said he could glide better and turn tighter. I'm a coach so I spend considerable amount of time with him on the ice and right away I could see him skating 'better' and whether it's becasue he now has proper fitting skates, more/taller and longer steel, I'm not sure, probably a combination of all those factors. But I really think the profiling and FBV is working for him. We baked the S15 last week and now he said the pain is completely gone and he's loving his new skates after 4-5 hrs.

The beauty of being a 10yo is that they can adapt to things so much better than adults and I think the intial switch from regular hollow to FBV was offset by having to get used to a new boot/skate completely. I highly doubt he even notices the FBV now, he just knows that he can move/turn better and seems stronger on his feet.

Thanks again Jimmy for the good work, I just sent out a spare set of steel for you to profile + FBV...