Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Souldriver

good conditions for pond hockey

So me and a couple of friends are trying to hit up the pond this weekend when we go away to my buddies PA house (its on lake naomi in poconos pines to be specific). We played pond before but never as adults and only on places that were already considered safe. This is also foreign territory for us since it's a couple states away and we have only gone in the summer.

What's good conditions for pond? What temps do we need and what other things should we look for.

1st make sure the pond is clear of snow, you might get a surprise with slush hiding underneath it. I found out the hard way a couple of weeks ago, the temps were really cold, but there was an enormous amount of snow on the ice and turned it all to slush. I would say mid to low 20's would be an ideal temp with cloudy skies, and no direct sunlight. Having the sun shine down on the pond while playing is the worst, your skates will start digging in. Also don't forget to have everyone bring shovels to clear it off between "periods". Hope this helps.

Those temps arnt what I wanted to hear :/ it'll be perfect low 20s this whole week until we go Thursday then it's going into the 40s till we leave Sunday. Then Monday right back down to 26 and cloudy. I'll still bring stuff just in case but it's a long shot.

Only way to know is to bore a hole in the ice and measure the thickness. A general rule of thumb I follow when ice fishing is that an inch of good solid ice can support around a hundred pounds. If the ice didn't form properly then that number changes drastically. The least amount of my ice I have been on and still felt safe (ice didn't buckle or shift at all) was 3 inches. Hockey is different as your weight is distributed more due to being in motion, vuerses sitting in a 50 pound shanty for 3 hours. 5+ inches and you should should be more than safe to have some pond hockey.

Outside temps don't play too big of a factor, as I've been ice fishing in April when its 60 degrees Fahrenheit outside. Nothing like wearing shorts out there and chilling on a lawn chair catching perch all day.

if, when you jump onto the ice, it don;t crack and make poppin noises, you're good to go...

always good t have some skate guards, you're bound to have to take a few steps on somehting other than ice

iff'n you play near the edge, bring lotsa pucks. ice is always much thinner near the edges especially if the edge is dirt and not snow covered. Dirt is dark and will prevent ice from getting thick near it. pucks will slip under the ice or dig into the bank...

bring a non-skater, who can serve as a goalie or puck retriever, promise him anything, beer, cheese-steaks ... just get him to come!

you'll learn how NOT to lift the puck... 3 on 3 is a ton of fun, and a boatload of skatin, danglin and passin...

I miss it all, bigtime

If it's in the 20's overnight, ice will build.

Shovel off the rink the minute you get there and get the ice exposed to overnight cold while you sleep.

Play in the morning while it's still cold and before the temps come up and the sun hits the ice.

When the ice gets slow and wet in the afternoon sun, go drink beer and do something else.

You might also rig up some lights and try it after the sun goes down. If you have a reasonable amount of ice thickness, you'll get a hard top not long after the sun goes down and the temps drop again.

If the top surface is chunky, you could also flood it with a thin layer of water overnight (chop a hole, use a bucket - or use a garden hose if you're close enough to the cabin/house.

Bump from last winter. Anyone pond skating yet? We have some unseasonably cold "Evil Arctic Vortex Sharknado" system coming through and it's freezing our ponds quick. :)

We're 2 weeks ahead of last winter.

Edit: 2" on our local city pond as of lunch time yesterday. 0ºF overnight. I'm looking for 3.5-4". Should be skatable on my lunch hour today. Woot!

Several metro MN parks are open. We completed our third Sat old man game outdoor game of the season today. A few ponds around with nets. No sticks up, no whining, nice 3 hour Sat old man game today. There is also one Duluth park open that I am aware of.

We actually invented outdoor hockey and beer in MN! Many will debate that but in my heart it is true.

I am looking forward to park hockey coming soon. The city I'm in (outer suburb of Minneapolis) says they'll be flooding the rinks on Dec 22. That's a week later than usual, but either way, I'm looking forward to it.

I watched that Pond Hockey documentary from a couple years ago last night. It made me really want to put a rink in my yard, though I don't have a ton of room, I could probably fit a small one in. Probably enough for shooting and messing around with stickhandling and playing some little games with my son. I think I paced it off this fall at around 20'x30' or so, or I could make it longer and narrower in another part of my yard. Too bad I have a weird shaped yard, I didn't think about it when I bought the place. It does have a nice hill for sledding though...

Anyway, MN old and slow, I think that documentary said MN did invent pond hockey...

It is a time of great internal conflict as ice fishing and outdoor hockey both come into play. My wife will have to miss me till mid to late March.

It is good to be old and slow in MN.

Old and slow catches fish. Old and slow usually gets be to da outside.