Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SirJW

Ads on Jersey's

i dont think it will happen in the near future.

I would say before that was to happen they would let teams have individual contracts with jersey suppliers.... And i dont see that happening soon

In order for it to work best for the NHL it needs to be league wide so the poorer teams will benefit.

In order for it to work best for the NHL it needs to be league wide so the poorer teams will benefit.

The big market clubs are dead set against revenue sharing, especially with what they consider "local" money.

Teams would benefit more by having their own deals instead of a league wide deal.

Local deals make the most sense, but the money should be pooled.

I honestly hate the idea of corporate logos on jerseys. When people at work wear soccer jerseys you see more logos than anything else. And if I buy a jersey will I now be prepping a company I don't care for too? Probably. You guys have much more insider info than me so I don't know what they're offering but it can't be as much as they do for premier league clubs.

The jerseys for US sports seem to be an "off limits" place for corporations beyond the jersey makers logos which seem to become bigger every year. But imagine the iconic Yankee pinstripes being interuppted by Audis circles, I just can't. But with all this boards never used to have ads and look at Russian and European hockey teams and their ice is inked up.

Edit: wow the article uses the same Yankees reference but with a ford logo. Also one of the attached articles talks about fan backslashes and points out the silly number of jerseys and now sleeved jerseys the nba is putting out

I agree big market teams wont like the idea of sharing the revenue, I just think it makes the most sense for the league to share if it wants the small markets to thrive.

Also I don't see the ads dominating the jersey even like the MLS unis. they would be more subtle, who knows how they'd look in the future? Perhaps a big team like Detroit would only have them on he hem but a small team like the Preds would have a logo on it's chest, perhaps something that would appeal to more people.

I agree big market teams wont like the idea of sharing the revenue, I just think it makes the most sense for the league to share if it wants the small markets to thrive.

Also I don't see the ads dominating the jersey even like the MLS unis. they would be more subtle, who knows how they'd look in the future? Perhaps a big team like Detroit would only have them on he hem but a small team like the Preds would have a logo on it's chest, perhaps something that would appeal to more people.

The secondary logos on the shoulders seem to be the perfect target to me. People are used to seeing team branding there so a sponsor logo wouldn't be a huge change to the overall character of the jersey itself.

Yeah, but full on head to toe including helmets and goalie pads? I think that will take a long time. Again, I can see the small market teams looking like Swedish Pro faster than big markets that would look more like MLS but not as the primary logo. I think JA, Chadd all agree it's gonna happen sooner than later, it's just wait and see how big and how many.

So long as this initiative is tied to bringing the game ticket prices to the affordable level I am for it... Everyone got used to players wearing numbers on the front of their helmets, everyone will get used to having corporate adverts on their jerseys too. Watch a Premier League soccer (football) game, you do not even notice the logos. No big deal.

EDIT: Case in point, Boston season ticket prices are getting a hike of 20% for next season. This, will make the games practically unattainable for me as a casual attendee.

Revenue from ads on jerseys will have zero affect on ticket prices. Remember...no one is making any money!!! /sarcasm.

They already have ads on practice jerseys (which I don't understand). I see the right shoulder/chest crest as the first step. It will likely proceed from there, but I think the full Euro, Ad-Filled jersey is a little ways off.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Winter Classic sponsors don't make their board/ice ads in the fashion of olden days. As for ads on players, there is no doubt in my mind that it is coming but probably won't show up until they find a way to do some math for it in the CBA.

The article makes an interesting point that teams with rich histories will be more hesitant to put any ads on their jerseys. I also wonder if teams will adjust logos of advertisers to fit their colorways. That doesn't happen in Euro hockey, but it certainly happens in soccer. most teams opt for an all white version of logos that actually end up complementing the jerseys pretty well. Still can't picture it on NHL jerseys though.

Salaries (and caps) will go up, and owners will have the luxury of having higher tax bills, but there's no way any of this would be used to drive down ticket prices.

One of the things I hate about the corporate advertising in sports is there are so many bad fits, but extra zeros on the checks seems to override questionable synergies, such as when software companies with databases that help track teacher salaries try to have their names put on stadiums.....

I watched some Spengler Cup games this winter and was shocked how far the Europeans have gone with this. The patchwork disasters that passed for uniforms, the logo stickers slapped on the helmets--the effect was to make the players look like clowns straight from the circus. What fan would want to buy a replica sweater that looked like that? Not me. I don't like the corporate logos on the Premier League jerseys either, and those have been relatively tastefully.

I agree with pelikano, and I am surprised that a lot of people seem to accept it as inevitable and don't really seem to have any problems with it.

I think its a departure from tradition, tacky, and makes teams/NHL look greedy. But whatever....

I think teams look plenty greedy from ticket prices alone. If we always blindly clung to tradition then forward passes would still be illegal and the rover would still be utilized.

Using Spengler as the reference...the Rochester Americans (AHL) played there this year, and they did a pretty decent job getting all the sponsors that needed to be present, and the jersey still had a North American feel to it. Not fully logo'd and crazy colourful to the point the finding the Amerks logo was hard.

AHL jerseys

Amerks-vs-Crunch-Win.jpg

Spengler version

20131226%20Hackett%20Spengler.jpg

They could have been a LOT worse.

If you want to get technical, ads are already on all NHL jerseys (RBK/Reebok) but i agree that sponser ads on jerseys are inevitable, however, the league already does a poor job of sharing revenue and this will make it worse (if they allow each team their own deal). Look for it after the next lockout which will occur following the end of the current CBA. Perhaps a major corporate sponser (ie. Coca-Cola) could be on all jerseys.