Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockeydog

On ice drills to improve forward speed?

So I have been working on my forward stride. It's not horrible but I'd say I am a couple of ticks behind the average speed in my lower level beer league. I know it's hard to suggest specific drills without seeing someone skate, but I was hoping to get some ideas on what people think are the best on ice drills for straight forward stride speed. What are your 3-4 go to, universal best drills ? ( Deep knee bend is a given ) If you were going to tear down your stride and rebuild it, how would you do it?

thanks !!

Start, with propper position; knees over toes, shoulders over knees. This keeps your back straight and not hunched over, kind of a half sitting position. I preffer a long stride so I use a long leg extension with getting the skates back under your body. Don't forget the little toe flick at the end. I always taught C cuts, bubbles, and working inside and outside edges. Power skating drills don't need to be done at top speed. The object is to try and do them as technically perfect as possible. The better you get at them the faster you go with less effort. If you watch guys who look like they are just floating smooth as can be they usually have the best form and are going the fastest.

We can explain things in depth but if you are not doing them correctly (even though you think you are) it is just wasted effort and bad habits forming. Find a figure skating coach and take a few lessons. They will give you the best training for power, balance and edges

Thanks for the response. What are bubbles? I know C cuts, and know a drill or two for edge work ( alternating inside edges down the ice, then the same for outside edges), but don't know what bubbles are. There are a number of figure skating coaches around my rink, I'll see who is best qualified and try to schedule a few lessons.

Bubbles are when you do C cuts with both legs at the same time. We always called them bubbles because when you look at the pattern on thice they look like bubbles.

I'd recommend

Start, with propper position; knees over toes, shoulders over knees. This keeps your back straight and not hunched over, kind of a half sitting position. I preffer a long stride so I use a long leg extension with getting the skates back under your body. Don't forget the little toe flick at the end.

This. Plus the Laura Stamm stride-touch exercise where you push, then leave your leg extended for a couple of second to scrape the ice lightly. And focus on every part of the movements in the stride - the push, the full extension, the flick, the return.

Drills are one thing to be explained but I would go on YouTube and watch someone that is good at skating. Watch their stride then see what tips then give, you'll learn much more than asking people to describe stuff to you in words

Drills are one thing to be explained but I would go on YouTube and watch someone that is good at skating. Watch their stride then see what tips then give, you'll learn much more than asking people to describe stuff to you in words

agreed. I was looking for some suggestions, and have you tubed videos of anything I didn't know how to execute.

One thing I have not found that I think would be helpful to many is an overhead view of a good skater going down the ice. It would be hard to do, unless someone rigged something up with a Go-Pro.

Don't skate with your shoulders over your knees you'll lose your balance and fall forward. Keep your butt down and shoulders in line with the heel or middle of your skate. When you get your shoulders past your toes you generate less downforce because you're using less steel to push off of. You push with the heel of your skate rolling towards the front of the blade and then flicking with the toe.

work on snapping your toe and cutting the ice with each stride at the tip.

If you get a powerful stride there's an extra 10% of power to come out of that toe snap.

"Don't skate with your shoulders over your knees you'll lose your balance and fall forward"

If your knees are not overbent and over your toes and your shoulders are over your knees and draw a straight line through you end up with a nice distribution of balance. It is the position you are in when you about halfway sitting down. If you lean back alittle in that position you tend to fall into the chair. If you put your shoulder over your heals then you are moving that weight back which is a more straight position when trying to go forward.

A lot of people get their shoulders way too far forward, well beyond their toes, and it impacts their balance in a big way. The reality is that position is not pitched forward as much as a lot of people think.

When the shoulders are to far forward it's because they are bent at the waist to much intead of bendining at the knees and ankles. Alot of people think you need to bend over to go forward fast, unfortunately it just makes you off balance.

Right, if you bring your hips back and maintain a more seated position while trying to keep your chest up you'll engage all the skating muscle groups as well be able to face the play when carrying the puck. Helps with keeping your head up. Balance is better and stride will be more efficient.