Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackout

Tips for a complete beginner?

Well I caved and baked them again. I figured I probably didn't lock my heel enough along with not lacing anywhere near tight enough. I won't get on the ice until Saturday probably, but they already feel much, much better. There is still a little lateral movement like before, but it is not as easy to do. Balancing on one skate is significantly easier just standing around in the house.

Skating on one foot is pretty similar to just standing on one foot..actually easier while you're moving. I hope it works great for you!

Check out HowtoHockey on YouTube. He has some great tutorials on stopping.

Push through the balls of your feet onto the edges you're stopping on (throwing them to the left, left outside edge/right inside edge). Sit/squat slightly. Think about pushing all your weight down through those edges. If it helps your balance, use the inside edge of your outside foot to stop and use your inside foot for balance. Ultimately you want to stop with your feet together...but it's harder to learn that way.

Here is what is what I always tell new skaters: heels to turn - toes to stop and shoulders over knees, knees over toes. Good skating starts with good position

Well, I went to two sessions again tonight. Not as good as I had hoped, though I have improved.

I'm just really stuck on my inside edges. When gliding, I tend to have my skates more than shoulder width apart, so I've been trying to get comfortable bringing them in. I tried doing some tight turns, but my inside skate stays on the inside edge. I am slightly pronating, but I still don't know whether this is due to being a new skater or bad fit. I've read both conflicting thoughts on it (bad fit vs. new skater), so I'm pretty confused.

Balancing on one skate totally wouldn't happen. When I skate, I lift and replant each skate VERY quickly when gaining speed, I think to compensate for my lack of balance. With my legs so far apart all the time, I simply cant balance on one skate yet.

I got waxed laces, and laced them up real tight. My feet got REALLY cold and numb through the evening..... so perhaps they were too tight?

I'm still getting used to the rocker as well. I had a few close calls when I rolled my weight too far back on my heel.

My arches still burned like hell after about 15 minutes in, and lasted maybe another 20 minutes or so before that particular pain went away. Is this normal? I haven't gotten superfeet yet. I'm afraid superfeet will raise my foot too far and promote lace bite (I barely pass the pencil test for the first 3 eyelets).

Stopping is getting better from the suggestions; thanks! I'm not yet ready to move away from the wall when stopping yet though.

I don't lace my skates tight until I get to the ankle area, I gently snug them up and start tightening more as I go up, otherwise I feel like my foot is in a vice.

Especially with waxed laces, as you can put serious pressure with those, and they don't loosen.

My brother uses cloth laces and one of those skate hooks(can't see using those), although his skates are not moldable, but also not as stiff.

I don't lace my skates tight until I get to the ankle area, I gently snug them up and start tightening more as I go up, otherwise I feel like my foot is in a vice

I just snug my laces until I get to the 3rd from the top, then I'll pull tight ( which will tighten laces at 4th eyele) and also pull tight on 2nd from top ( which will tighten laces at 3rd eyelet) and pull tight, but not quite as tight from top eyelets ( tightening at the 2nd eyelet) and then tie them off snug but not really tight. If I go pretty tight around arch area my arches will hurt. For me this gives me stability and ankle lock, but lets me bend my knees. I use Elite waxed laces. Very grippy. I lace up the skate completely , leaving the laces loose, then go back thru and tighten to my preference. I also make sure the laces are pretty slack all the way down before I stick my foot in, spreading the skate out a bit. This way my foot goes in easy and the skate wraps around it, instead of getting crammed in then tightened up in a bad position. This is all probably common practice, but just a reminder that even putting on skates a certain way can make a difference.

Just got back from another session.

I'm able to do semi hockey stops (need to polish the technique) to the right. I also went in today not being able to do a one foot glide at all, and ended up being able to do it almost the entire length of the rink (before I almost came to a stop). Pretty excited about that. Next thing to work on is the other foot.

After taking the skates off at the end of the session, I have this horrible pin prickling sensation in both heels for about 5 minutes afterwards. Sort of like when your leg falls asleep, but the only place I feel it is in my heels. As suggested above, I'm leaving the first part of the laces snug but not tight, and I really crank down starting at the 3rd eyelet from the top. Perhaps it's too tight? I like the tightness though for the ankle support.

Also, is there any sort of progression recommendation for learning skills? Like things you should be able to do before you even attempt certain skills? It's why I'm working on one foot glides right now, but I know there have to be other basic things to learn. Everything I've searched for online comes up with different things, and a lot of them are for figure skaters.

I've seen a lot of videos on things like crossovers and such, but it seems there are things I need to work on before even attempting a crossover. It's one reason I decided to work on one foot glides for balance.

A simple list is really all I'm looking for.

Also, is there any sort of progression recommendation for learning skills? Like things you should be able to do before you even attempt certain skills?

My 2 cents.

I think there should be a order of what you put your main focus on, but you should not hesitate to try everything a little every time you hit the ice.

Here would be my order of main focus;

Forward skating

Forward stopping both sides

Forward power turns

Quick starts forward

Forward crossovers

Transistions

Backwards skating

Backwards stopping

Backwards crossovers

Quick starts backwards

My list is based on what you would need to at least get started playing hockey, skating -wise. You need all skills to be a well rounded skater/player. But if you can skate forward, stop, and sharp turn pretty well, you can at least get in the game as a forward and earn your keep. I have a teammate that does just those things pretty darn good, and he contributes to the team.

You might find that some skills come easier than others, and then that new skill helps make learning other skills easier. for example, my straight backwards skating kinda sucks, but I can backwards crossover at an acceptable skill level. Had I never tried backwards crossovers because my straight back wasn't good enough I wouldn't have the back x -over as a tool to use on the ice.

Enjoy your time on the ice, and try everything ! It's a blast when you finally nail something like a crossover, or stopping on your weak side, etc !

blackout, I'm totally in your boat! So I don't have any advice... Just can relate.

I ice skated 1 time as a kid and 1 time as an adult... Never been into team sports or hand eye coordination stuff... Did dance & gymnastics as a kid (I'm female). I used to like roller skating as a kid, but not even on rollerblades & I could only skate forwards.

Started going to open skates the last month & a few hockey open skates (I bought full gear & am signed up for a beginner hockey class that starts in a couple weeks). I really like being on the ice & I like repetitive drills because I've always done things that are judged on form so I'm really comfortable with that kind of training. Taking some private lessons which is really helping.

I have one skate down from you (Bauer Supreme One.5) & love them. They were baked & massively uncomfortable my first time out because I tried to tie them as tight as possible, but I loosened them up & life got way better. I feel like they're worn in now & I don't think about them.

Anyways, cool to hear about your experiences.

Good to hear it's getting better on the ice for you Blackout. The list hockeydog gave you is pretty good, so I'll just give a little bit of advice since I was in your boat not too long ago.

Biggest thing I can recommend on the list of skills is to learn how to stop to both sides well it will really help you out. My friend started at the same time I did, back in November, still hasn't developed his stopping skills all that well and it really hinders his ability to play in pick-up games. Getting down your power turns those will come in handy especially when progressing to crossovers. Another thing is just to practice keeping your head up while skating and not looking at the ice since you'll need to do it in the game (I only mention it now since I did it initially when starting out). My instructor advised looking at the yellow base of the boards directly in front of me as guide. Since you're just starting out a private lesson would help a lot too if you can do it, but if not just practice, practice and learn to trust your edges.

As for your skates its kind of intuitive thing to lacing them up to the happy medium between too loose and too tight, a few more times and you'll get it down. Also your skates are new and will still do a little more molding to your foot.

If you're looking for tutorials and videos specifically for hockey I'd recommend howtohockey.com or hockeytutorial.com. The second one is ran by a guy in England and he does a great job explaining individual skating skills as well as hockey skills so it might be worth it to check out.

I think one of the biggest mistakes new skaters make is tieing thier skates to tight. It is usually due to a skate that doesn't fit quite right or they feel like the get more stability. Nothing beats a good fitting skate. Every now and then you might get a twinge or cramp but in most cases loosening up the laces takes care of it (at least in my case). Once you start getting comfortable on skates and start building up the muscles you will probably find that you don't need to tie them tight at all. I tie mine snug at best and more on the loose side, just enough to keep my foot in the boot. One of my pet peeves is when people wrap the laces around the top...cut or get shorter laces you are not doing anything to help. Good skating starts with good fitting skates. They don't have to be the newest most expensive, just ones that fit right.

Hey just to add my viewpoint for what it's worth, stick with these guys advice..it's sure helped me..I'm 53yo and started skating at the start of Feb 2014, I bought a pair of Bauer Nexus 600's only because I have very wide feet, but they are now so 'lived in' it makes practice easier. All I need to do is find a recreational team who will take pity on a young 'old timer' and teach me hockey as I can now skate forward & back, stop(!) and use inside and outside edges to turn and on one foot. Don't have any equipment yet though..

Good luck in your quest