Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spl22

Wheel help

Hello, I am getting back into playing roller hockey after a 10+ year hiatus (marriage and kids got in the way). I am trying to find wheels that will work with my size (weigh about 240) and where I am going to be playing. I have skates that have 76MM 80A (would skate outdoors on occasion with the wife) and I played a game last night at the rink (sport court) and I had a few issues. When I went to make sharp turns my feet would just slide. I chalked a lot of it up to rust and me not knowing my limitations but I am also thinking that I can find wheels that can support me a little better. From everything I red it appears I would want to go 76MM and 78A (is that right)? Which brand (Revision, Rink Rat or Labeda) and Style (Addiction, Hornet, Hot shot, etc etc) would you recommend?

short version. Looking for what would be the best wheels for someone that weighs about 240 and will play indoors on sport court.

Thanks in advance.

For Sport Court at your weight I'd go with a dual pour wheel that's 78a. I think your best bets would be the Revision Steel wheels (78a) or 78a Rink Rat Hot Shots. I've used both and I'd give the edge to the Revision Steel wheels. I'm currently using Rink Rat Hot shots, but had the hubs crack on a few of them (not right away, but after several months of heavy use). I used the Revision Steels for about 2 seasons with great results, but eventually they developed a lot of cracks. The hubs never cracked though.

When they are new both the Steels and Hot Shots perform well. Eventually any wheel will wear out, but the Revisions happened to last a bit longer in my personal experience. I wouldn't hesitate to use either wheel again, but if they're around the same price I'd go with the Revision Steels. I've heard that the Revision Variant Plus wheels are very durable (from fellow players), however; the hardest durometer those come in is 76a (the blue ones) so you'd be sacrificing a bit of speed - they're also more expensive than the Steels.

Thank you so much for the response. That is what I was thinking the 78A for my size and one of those two, the Labeda ones are almost double the price of the rat rink hot shots and I was not sure if it was worth the price. I will price it out between the two you mentioned. Thanks again.

If you're looking at RInk Rat, we recommend the new World Cup. Dont let the 82a hardness scare you as we designed this wheel especially for players above the 220 lbs range. I am personally skating on this model and I'm 170 lbs and the grip is still very good on sport court. The WC is dual-pour and pro level urethane and is the same price as the Hot Shots (now named Conflict in the new Identity line).

Any wheels mentioned above are a good choice too, but we're confident the WC will give you the performance and durability you're looking for.

Thanks and let us know if you have any other questions

Rink Rat

I am about 230, been skating with the Revision Variant Bronze and they have held up really well for me playing on multiple indoor rinks.

I use & recommend the World Cups, they're the only wheel i've used that give me grip & speed I want.
Haven't used Addiction grip+ yet but would also love to try them.