Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A friend passed along this link for a Kickstarter project for Mammoth Hockey bags:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1389885168/mammoth-hockey-bags

They advertise the bag as bombproof, and the design and construction looks legit. I like the reflective inner lining and various gear pockets. The bottle opener is a nice touch. I also like the fact that the bag has a shoulder strap. I was looking at bags the other day and was surprised that many of them didn't have shoulder straps as an option. Price is up there, but it might be a good candidate for "last bag you ever need".

Thought I'd share, I don't have any affiliation with this company.

I wrote up a big reply last night but then this thread seemed to disappear?

Either way, I backed them. I like how short and wide they are (so I can get them in my trunk).

Also a big fan of Kickstarter projects :)

Thanks for the support, Optimus! Tryandstopme thanks for posting the link. We were hoping someone would pick up on our Kickstarter campaign and put it up on MSH. We didn't want to do it ourselves... felt too spammy.

Anyway, if anyone has questions about Mammoth Bags just let me know.

Thanks,

Erik

So here's what something I typed up a couple days ago regarding price:

Concerning price: We can certainly make cheaper bags if we do not manufacture them locally, but we want to make these in Spokane, WA. That makes them more expensive and we totally understand they're not for everyone but we also believe there are people out there like us who are willing to pay more for high quality, locally produced bags. In fact, here are some successful companies making bags in the US at higher price points than us that are proven success stories:

http://www.filson.com/products/tin-cloth-medium-duffle.70015.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=luggage/duffle-bags&fmetaProduct=1019/

http://blaqpaks.com/products/messenger-bags/plus-one/

http://missionworkshop.com/products/bags/backpacks/roll_top/large_vandal.php

http://www.queenbee-creations.com/collections/bags/products/color-block-vessel-tote-large

http://northstbags.com/products/woodward-backpack

I just looked at the video. Great looking product, and I was ready to invest, but $145 for a carry bag kinda put me off.

Ah, that was actually part of the post I had written and posted (but it errored?).

They are definitely pricey, but they look like they're top quality materials and realistically, they're such low volume that it makes it difficult to keep costs down, and I certainly understand that.

My only gripe is the lack of skate pockets (even internal ones would be fine). Though at least there is a separate outer pocket for wet shirt/socks/etc.

Yeah, but those aren't hockey bags. Have you done research to show that beer leaguers would want to pay that money for a bag?

Maybe you can put out a skate pocketed version later :) definitely interesting, the cost doesn't really scare me if it delivers

Looks like a great product. I'm gonna have to toss a few bucks its way. Big thing that impressed me was the part about the inside and socks. I always loose one black sock in the corner or my black bag!

I'm always a big fan of people producing goods in the US (or Canada) and doing it with top quality materials. There is a lot of attention to detail that is quite evident in this bag. Too many hockey players go cheap on things like a bag and end up having to replace them every year or two, when they could spend a little more up front and have a bag that will last. I like the idea, but I wonder if the aluminum extras are worth the extra cost. I'm also really fond of the longer handles that we had on the run of custom bags that we did. They bridged the carry straps and shoulder strap.

Trigger pulled! I've been in the market for a new gear bag since my 30 year old Canadian-made Graf bag has finally given up the ghost. As Chadd said, it's worth the price to pay for a quality American-made bag. I'll be sure to post a full review this fall (bag ships in September).

Stoked!

Great looking back but it looks heavy.

That was my first thought. I liked it for the most part but I really don't see the need for aluminum handles and a bottle opener, just adding to what looks like an already heavy bag and high cost(in my opinion). I also don't care for an actual shoulder strap, it makes it more awkward(it sits lower and the bag tends to flex and twist) than using the normal side straps on your shoulder...just wish companies made that handle padded.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the product. It looks great

maybe they will come out with a cheaper "blue ribbon" model eventually. I dont think the aluminum adds that much weight to the bag that youd even notice, they are just nice touches. Its pretty obvious that this bag isnt geared towards 100 percent of the bag market, i mean, i havent been on a team that brings bottles to the rink yet. Apparently, and perhaps expected, this happens in portland.

That was my first thought. I liked it for the most part but I really don't see the need for aluminum handles and a bottle opener, just adding to what looks like an already heavy bag and high cost(in my opinion). I also don't care for an actual shoulder strap, it makes it more awkward(it sits lower and the bag tends to flex and twist) than using the normal side straps on your shoulder...just wish companies made that handle padded.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the product. It looks great

The shoulder strap (if I'm looking at the pictures correctly) can be taken off with a clip mechanism. Caters to folks that don't like them, and those that do (like me). It definitely feels like I'm in the minority though, just because I have looked locally and online for a decent bag with a shoulder strap, and there aren't many bags with that option that I'm finding.

For the price to be feasible they would need to offer a lengthy warranty program. If they stand behind their product the initial investment would be a non factor if its the last bag you ever buy.

Good point about the warranty, I still have a Sierra Designs backpack (bookbag). I got in grade school, it has been replaced just a few times. I've had one for over 40 years.

Thanks for the support, Optimus! Tryandstopme thanks for posting the link. We were hoping someone would pick up on our Kickstarter campaign and put it up on MSH. We didn't want to do it ourselves... felt too spammy.

Anyway, if anyone has questions about Mammoth Bags just let me know.

Thanks,

Erik

Is it a wheeled bag? It seems that this baul is carry-only, just want to confirm. If it is not a wheeled bag, then any plans to make wheeled bags? I only work with wheeled bags. I know that wheeled bags are not cool, but I care not.

Is it a wheeled bag? It seems that this baul is carry-only, just want to confirm. If it is not a wheeled bag, then any plans to make wheeled bags? I only work with wheeled bags. I know that wheeled bags are not cool, but I care not.

they make it pretty clear on the site that its not wheeled and they dont seem to point at any intentions to make a wheeled.

From their FAQ:

Q: Why don't your bags have wheels?

A: Nothing against those who like roller bags, it's just not our thing.

Great looking back but it looks heavy.

The bag itself shouldn't be all that heavy. Tarpaulin is heavier than some of the really thin nylon that you find in the cheapest bags but even my huge MSH bag doesn't weigh more than a pound or so. when it is empty. With all the extra zippers and hardware, I can't imagine this being more than two pounds.

From their FAQ:

Q: Why don't your bags have wheels?

A: Nothing against those who like roller bags, it's just not our thing.

I didn't see that; thanks.