Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Look-up Line approved by USAH

I think the topic on this got smoked in the server data loss, but USAH has approved the use of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/sports/hockey/usa-hockey-endorses-use-of-safety-feature-resembling-warning-track.html?contentCollection=sports&action=click&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article

(NYT is a subscription-based site, so I'll C/P the article)

USA Hockey, the sport’s governing body in the United States, announced Monday that it had endorsed use of the Look-Up Line, an orange warning track painted on the ice designed to reduce paralyzing neck injuries that could result from collisions into the boards. However, the measure fell short of mandating its use in American ice rinks.

Under the measure, rinks that wish to employ a Look-Up Line are permitted to do so and are encouraged to report their results to the USA Hockey Look-Up Line Safety Task Force.

“I was hoping for a strong recommendation, at the very least,” said Tom Smith, a 24-year-old hockey player from Boston who walks with the aid of two canes after having suffered a spinal-cord injury when he crashed into the boards in 2008. “But I’m told this is a giant step, considering that we put down the first Look-Up Line on May 9, 2013, and now we have it down in the policy and rules sections for USA Hockey and the N.C.A.A.” The Look-Up Line is to be painted around the perimeter of the ice surface, extending 40 inches in width from the bottom of the boards. Its goal is to warn players to use caution when giving and receiving checks in the danger area close to the boards.

In the past 10 months, Smith said, three players under the jurisdiction of USA Hockey sustained broken necks from collisions with the boards.

Smith will serve on the task force, alongside Dr. Michael Stuart of the Mayo Clinic, the chief medical officer for USA Hockey, and two other medical researchers.

The USA Hockey board of directors approved the addition of a 10-minute misconduct to any fighting major in the United States Hockey League — the country’s top level of junior hockey — and in the North American Hockey League, the second level. But the resolution fell far short of the automatic ejection and suspension for all fights that researchers had urged.

15 minutes if a fight happens in junior A...

Not a fan, actually. I've seen my fair share of fights and its usually because someone is going around targeting a player. The officials typically don't put a stop to it before it gets out of hand. This will just further deter people from stepping up for their team mates and we'll see more kids get injured from illegal stupid stuff.

Happy they're endorsing use of LUL, it'll be interesting to see the results.

That's great news. Anything that will help reduce injury without actually impacting the rules and play is something I'm on board with.

Since the topic got nuked, I'll re-post an example I came up with of what a rink may look like with a goal-crease blue, instead of the bright orange (which I'm not a huge fan of, and I think the blue would be just as effective).

S1P0jngl.png

It keeps things in check. At the juniors level you see a lot of kids out of control, targeting players. Several years ago when you didn't have the 10 minute misconduct for removing your helmet, you saw a ton of fights. There wasn't as many cheap hits going on. Since they put that rule into place you see more and more dirty hits. Take fighting out hits go up.

I'm surprised that anyone still clings to the fallacy that fighting is a deterrent for cheap play.

You may have to remodel that for the new trapezoid and hashlines they're speaking about.

Haha it was a big enough pain in the ass making that look good as it is :P

If you talk to coaches who've been in the leagues to see the transition I'm sure you'll hear it. But this isn't the place for that - I just commented on that because I didn't know they added a 10 to any fight.

In Junior and pro/minor pro I would say raganblinks statement applies cuz there is fighting there. But not in beer league where there is no fighting. And in my 10 years of competitive hockey playing I would agree with him. That's just my personal observation.

I think the intent behind the line is a good one, hopefully it helps prevent injuries.

As for fighting, the misconduct won't make a difference. Guys have realized that they don't have to fight and they can even get a powerplay for their team if they can goad someone from the other team into doing something stupid. Until referees and leagues address the cheap shots that everyone claims are the justification for fights, the problems will continue to get worse.

I am open minded on the look up line. Try it.

Hockey without fighting? They call that soccer. Just having fun.

A few fights are okay. Nothing extreme but once in awhile in HS or junior. Our kids need to be smart, skate well, and have a bit of grit.

Fighting not okay in mens over 50.

I'm surprised that anyone still clings to the fallacy that fighting is a deterrent for cheap play.

Look at your local beer league, way too much cheap play because (esp in our area) refs are there to get a paycheck and guys know they wont have to answer for their cheap shots by getting the butt kicked. I know that if I do something stupid that could lead me to getting punched in the mouth, im a lot less likely to do it.

I like the idea of this line, this will also make boarding calls a no brainer!

Correlation is not causation.

Maybe the increase in cheap hits and dirty play is a result of years of "dirty players" making it all the way to the NHL on nothing more than cheap stick work, and a few fights here and there.

Players lost respect for each other when the cages came on.

Fighting or just the threat of it cleans things up fast.

A skate by a chippy teams bench with a 'it goes both ways" threat cleans it up.

Been on both ends of that.

Don Cherry would agree with me and has stated as much in regards to fighting.

Please, Don Cherry coached in the bloodbath of the 70's when hockey was a sideshow and there was more dirty play than ever. Having him on your side doesn't help your argument.

Myth, there was both hockey and fighting. The crazy clutch,grab,etc came later. We actually kept our sticks down in the 70s. Watch a high school game in the 70s compared to today.

I will take Don Cherry at his word. His best weapon was not a fighter but was Bobby Orr.

The threat of a butt kicking kept the cold ward cold.

Watch an old NHL game from the 70's. Almost every check ends with the stick at head level, slashes were vicious and rampant, and fights didn't end when one guy was down.

As for Bobby Orr, his career was shortened because every opponent threw leg checks at him. Fighting didn't stop that from happening.

The look up line may actually reduce bad hits which may reduce fighting.

One old guy that actually favors the change.

Head up stick down number one safety lesson at da rink.

Too much time on my hands today,