Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Early 2014-2015 NHL predictions.

So, I suppose it goes without saying, that unless something crazy happens in the off season, the Los Angeles will go into next year as the favourite to win the Stanley Cup. I know 'dynasty' is a bit of a nasty term these days...doesn't happen very often. But really...it could. Back-to-back and 3 of 4 is not out of the question. Can they convince Gabby to stay? Can they AFFORD to have Gabby stay?

I think Boston with a healthy Seidenberg and Kelly along with either a refocused Marchand (if he isn't dealt) or what he brings in trade has to be in the conversation.

Boston has to be the favorite in the East, although their cap situation is starting to get tight. Montreal could emerge as a threat, we'll see how much ca space they have to play around with after backing up the truck for Subban. Rangers have a lot of contracts to re -sign, even after a Richards buyout I'm not convinced they can bring everyone back. Is be surprised is they can bring back 2 of their 4 main UFAs in Boyle, Dom Moore, Stralman and Pouliot. The Pens also have cap issues, not necessarily pertaining to their star core but can they fill out their bottom 6 with better supporting players? Can Bishop put up anything close to what he did for another season in Tampa? Does getting even league average goaltending mean a trip to the playoffs for NYI?

Kings, Hawks, Sharks all have the talent to stay atop the West. The Blues will see if their goalie tandem can hold up. Are teams like Dallas and Minny ready to join the big boys? The West will probably be the varsity level competition for another year.

...will Gabby be able to play that hard and that well for LA, while staying healthy, for an entire 82 game season?

They won't need him to be the 40 goal guy that Minny, NY and Columbus needed him to be in the past. And honestly at 32 he can't be expected to be that anyway. If he's a 30 goal/60 pt guy that might just be all they need.

Hawks could be in the mix again next season, but they have a couple loose ends to tie up. There could be a bit of turnover in order to get Kane and Toews signed, Saad's entry level deal expires at the end of the season and will need a new deal in 2015 as well. For 2014, the Hawks need to sign Morin, Smith and Raanta at a minimum. All three are RFA, so that shouldn't be impossible, but they only have $4.5M in cap space.

The Kings have $13M in cap space and only need to sign a #6 and #7 defenseman, Dean Lombardi has done a masterful job in putting his roster together. If they can retain Gaborik, they are going to be right back in the mix next year. Given the way he has bounced around on mostly bad teams, I have to wonder if he might be willing to take a deal that gives him a chance to stay for a couple years and compete with the same core group of players.

I would be concerned if I were a Bruins fan. I think their lack of speed was exposed to some degree and they are going to have trouble if Eastern conference teams start looking at Chicago and LA as the models for success. LA strikes me as being both deeper offensively than Boston and faster, while still being able to play a similarly physical style.

The pending promotion of Spooner and health of Kelly should help the Bruins in the speed category. They also seem intent on filling Shawn Thornton's spot with more of a speed component.

Boston is the clear favorite in the east. I don't see NY getting to the final again next season. They have expensive dead wood to deal with, and they also have a lot of work to shore up the blue line (and finding forwards who are more sound defensively). Looking back on the possession and shot stats, Lundquist is the only thing that was really going well for New York. Top GAA and top save percentage in the playoffs for all goaltenders who went beyond the 2nd round. That burnishes his legend, but it reflects really badly on the Rangers as a team.

LA looks great in the west, but they have not only several years of going deep into the playoffs, but also the added Olympic stress that may well wear on them into next season. I think they are positioned really well against Chicago and their other competition in the west from an age and salary cap situation.

A compliance buyout on Mike Richards would fund most of Gaborik's deal for LA.

They have $13M in space under the cap, no need for a buyout. That said, I think Richards and Brown are both highly overpaid and buyouts would probably be in the long term interest of the club.

West I think is a toss up next year, like it pretty much was this year. As far as the east, I feel Boston will slip a bit next year, New York and Montreal playing strong, and with the right moves Tampa could be very strong

The Caps have a ton of free agents after next season. They need a second line center before the window closes or they need to blow it up before a lot of guys walk away.

Maple Leafs 2015 Stanley Cup Champions!

Okay, but seriously. West will be as strong as ever with the three cali teams, plus chicago and st louis all being up there.

East is much harder to predict. Not sure the Caps or Pens have what it takes to become top teams again (more likely PIT than WSH). Montreal is for real, but still not a true contender. NYR will definitely not make it back as far as the finals (I truly can't believe they did it THIS time). Detroit needs to get its sh*t together. Ottawa will be about where they were last year. Leafs fate completely revolves around what they manage to do (or not do) this summer. I don't really see any clear cut favorites in the East.

My singular prediction: The Blues will show great until the playoffs, then get bounced in five games in the first round. I am making this prediction public in the hopes that the Blues will prove me wrong and finally win a Cup. But I have a funny feeling that it will either be the Kings or Hawks in the West and Boston in the East.

Really surprised with all the talk of the West and not one mention(that I can recall reading through this) of the Colorado Avalanche. They were a young team and finished 2nd in the West last year, 3rd best record in the NHL.. They gained valuable experience, are a year older & have a little money to spend. They’ll get Factor and Barrie resigned, most likely McGinn. Not sure what is going to happen with Stastny, I'm going to assume at this point that he'll be resigned as well.

I’m a homer, but I think the Avs are a team that should be in the mix to make some noise come playoff time.

It was a surprise how fast the Avs put it together. I would temper my enthusiasm a little, however, there are still some growing pains to be experienced there and several guys had career years. We need to see if that was overachieving or reaching their levels. I expect them to be in the conversation starting with the 2015-2016 season.

The Avs were a bit of a mirage in that they were a subpar possession team (specifically at even strength) and Varlamov sustained his highest save % for a full season for his career. That said they have a boatload of offensive talent but when it comes to their blueline they don't have the strength of the Kings, Hawks and Blues.

I’m a homer, but I think the Avs are a team that should be in the mix to make some noise come playoff time.

There is a lot of potential there, I'm just hesitant until I see a second good year in a row.

If minny could find a number 1 goalie ready to step in I really think they could compete. backstrom is too unreliable, hardings days are numbered and Kuemper isn't quite there yet

I'd like to see Miller end up somewhere (other than St. Louis) and have some success.

And I'd LOVE to see Spezza wearing the note.

Move Fleury somewhere he can be decent and fly under the radar.

my prediction is that carl hagelin will have a huge year and be among the league leaders in goals scored.

and for those who are writing off the rangers..well,..i didn't think they would beat the kings but they did show some heart, and if tuccarello didn't have that bad call go against him they would ave won game 5 and had the momemtum back. the kings weren't that much better than them, as i originally thought. the rangers just liked to to their houdini act in the 3rd period

Rangers in 6 (Stanley Cup Playoffs).

Seriously tho Rangers will crush the east this year. I feel more positive about this team than i have in a LONG time. I really like adding Tanner Glass and some of the young-ins.

Rick Nash scores 43 goals.

Penguins barely make the playoffs. Sounds crazy but it's true. Geno and Cindy struggle with injury all year.

Stamkos comes down to earth without St Louis on his wing. Scores 32 goals. Awesome player but needs the premier setup man to be dominant.

Caps slip into dark slump. They may consider trading Ovie and starting the rebuild.

Now that the season is starting, pretty much the same opinions as above. Half the west are legitimate cup contenders, and almost nobody in the East. I look down the list of teams in the East and I just don't see anyone who stands out. I could easily see the cup finals being as one-sided as it was this past year.

I'd be 100% okay with the Hawks and Kings going back and forth on cup wins. I think the Kings are easily the favorites though, since just about nothing changed on their team.

Half the west are legitimate cup contenders, and almost nobody in the East. I look down the list of teams in the East and I just don't see anyone who stands out. I could easily see the cup finals being as one-sided as it was this past year.

Not sure 1/2 the West teams are legitimate contenders and some of the East teams are better than many are giving them credit for. Is the balance of power still tilted West? Yes, but for every Florida Panthers there is a Calgary Flames.

I am extremely excited to watch the "Midwest" division this year. Colorado Chicago Minnesota and St Louis will all be fun to watch, and make for a real tough division