Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BucksAway

New Skates

Hi,

Looking at purchasing some new skates are the inner lining on my current skates are coming apart as well as the out sole slowly chipping back away from the boot. I only have the option to try on Bauer due to location and LHS . I have currently tried on the APX2 in the ice boot for a size comparison and it's a great fit, although it is expensive.

I am a very strong aggressive skater so need a solid pair of boots. Currently skating in the RX60.

I have looked at reviews and am still torn on a decision whether to get the APXR2, X90 or last years APX. Are the APXR2 really worth an extra $400 over the X90? an extra $450 over last years APX? Are the new X90's really worth the extra $50 over the APX?

I would love to have more option but without trying the skates on I don't want to purchase blind when spending so much ( thankfully it worked with my current skates ) It is not possible for me to try on any of the Alkali's or Tour's. I may have the chance to try some RBZ in the coming weeks but chances are slim.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

Usually the previous model top of the line skate on clearance will give you the best bang for your buck. Sure, the latest model will have some upgrades, but I don't think they'll ever make up for a $450 price gap unless you must have the latest and greatest. If you can find the APXR skates on clearance in your size for $450 less than the APX2R skates then I'd go for them. Put the money you save aside and perhaps when the APX2R goes on clearance you can grab a pair of those as well. Finding your size in the APXR skates may be the biggest challenge at this point.

Are the APX2r worth almost double as compared to the X90r? My answer is No. The X90 is a solid, solid skate. Very stiff and light. If the alum chassis bothers you, mount a magnesium on it.

The best value though (if they have your size) is the APXR on clearance. Man is that a killer deal. If I didn't have APX2r, I would have jumped on it.

Are the APX2r worth almost double as compared to the X90r? My answer is No. The X90 is a solid, solid skate. Very stiff and light. If the alum chassis bothers you, mount a magnesium on it.

The best value though (if they have your size) is the APXR on clearance. Man is that a killer deal. If I didn't have APX2r, I would have jumped on it.

spot on. I loved my x90s when i had them. From what i know a lot of pros actually prefer the tech mesh to the composite. Side note, you mentioned ccms, if you fit in vapors like a glove, i have a tough time believing you'll fit in the rbz's since they are one of the widest boots on the market.

I am a 7.5EE . I have been measured up and tried on the APX2 ice boot,

Hockey monkey has the APXR for $449.98. Does anybody know the weight difference between the 3 skates? I doubt I would even notice it anyway.

I can't see myself dropping $900 on the APXR2 unless there are some serious advantages in them which it appears there isn't really. $50 difference between the APXR and X90 is really what I should be looking at.

I know a lot of players in apxr's and the boots / frames are still going strong. If they fit you and you can handle the ultra stiffness in the boot then I'd be buying these over the X90's. You are getting a hell of a lot of skate for $449.98.

Hockey monkey has the APXR for $449.98. Does anybody know the weight difference between the 3 skates? I doubt I would even notice it anyway.

I can't see myself dropping $900 on the APXR2 unless there are some serious advantages in them which it appears there isn't really. $50 difference between the APXR and X90 is really what I should be looking at.

HockeyMonkey has 25% off clearance, dropping the APXR to ~$340.00 JUMP ON THIS. You won't find a better deal, period. The code is "WECARE25"

Look into the XR premier, they are on sale, only a few grams heavier than the apx and apx2, are lighter than the x90 and they have a magnesium chassis. I have them and very happy with.

Too bad you arent a D. I have APX2 7.5D boots that I might be looking to sell.

What inline skates are you using now? It might be cheaper to get a used ice boot, and then convert them to inline skates, rather than buy the whole thing. If you already have the chassis, wheels, and bearings I would.

Also, I dont think weight is a big issue, especially with roller blades. The frame, wheels, and bearings are so heavy that the difference between a high end boot and low end really wont be very noticeable.